Things you should have known about but until recently, you didn't.

Associate
On a similar theme, the meanings of the days names, mostly from Norse or Roman gods.

Sunday - Literally Suns Day from a Roman feast day.
Monday - Moons day, to celebrate the moon goddess.
Tuesday - Named after the Norse god Tyr
Wednesday - Named after the Norse god Wodan (Odin)
Thursday - Named after the Norse god Thor.
Friday - Named after the Norse god Frigg.
Saturday - Named after the Roman god Saturn.

The origin and evolution of words is a fascinating subject!

I could never get a grip of the calendar rhyme when I was a kid, luckily Dave Gorman has a new calendar to aid us all ;)

Soldato
I was in an Indian restaurant once and after the meal this lad I know ordered ice-cream. When it came he goes "do you want the cherry, I don't like them"?

I looked at his dessert to see a red grape on it. I said "err that is a grape?" He said "eh but it's red?"

I said where do you think red wine comes from? His mind was blow.

This lad had been to university and everything.

Soldato
Related, I always the thought the line in the Abba song "Waterloo" went, 'I was defeated in Walthemstow'. I was confused for many, many years but never got around to actually looking up the lyrics until recently. Turns out it's "I was defeated. You won the war."

Similar vein, I always thought The Human League had a song called "The Netherlands". I always wondered why the video showed a rather war torn looking Holland, when in fact it was "The Lebanon"

Soldato

Reminds me of a reality TV series called the newlyweds with Jessica Simpson. Although i find reality TV generally terribly trashy, this was a little different, in that very little actually happened, no made up drama or anything just hilariously stupid assumptions and exasperated husband trying to slowly explain things.

Lea: [referring to the buffalo wings on the table] Try these?
Jessica: I don't eat buffalo.
Lea: It's not buffalo, you idiot! Oh my god...
Jessica: It's not?
Lea: No, it's chicken!
Jessica: Well, it's-then, why do they call it buffalo wings?
Nick: Baby, come on, you know it.
Jessica: I don't know this!
Drew: 'Cause barbecue wings started in Buffalo, or something like that... You don't find it weird that buffaloes don't have wings?
Jessica: Never thought about it.

Nick and Jessica are sitting on the couch and watching sports on TV while eating tuna for lunch]

Jessica: Is this chicken I have or is it fish? I know it's tuna, but it says chicken... by the sea... is that stupid?
[Long pause, with Nick giving Jessica a dirty look]

Jessica: What?! Don’t make fun of me right now; I’m not in the mood.
Nick: You act like you’ve never had tuna before.
Jessica: I’ve had tuna fish, like, sandwiches and stuff, like this...
Nick: Baby, you and I have eaten tuna like this before.
Jessica: Why is it called "Chicken by the Sea" or "in the Sea"?
Nick: "Chicken of the Sea" is the brand.
Jessica: Oh...
Nick: You know, 'cause a lot of people eat tuna, it's like a lot of people eat chicken? So it's like the chicken of the sea.
Jessica: Okay. I understand now. I was-I read it wrong...

I am not going to lie, if my GF came up with some of these, i am pretty sure that i would not have the restraint to last more than a week with out being suffocated at night partner induced pillow.

Associate
I was in an Indian restaurant once and after the meal this lad I know ordered ice-cream. When it came he goes "do you want the cherry, I don't like them"?

I looked at his dessert to see a red grape on it. I said "err that is a grape?" He said "eh but it's red?"

Even more mind blowing.. grape colour is not directly related to wine colour. The juices of both green and red grapes is clear, the wine colours come from the amount of time (if any) the skins are exposed to the juice.

Soldato
At the risk of annoying the La Cuisine wine snobs, ill post this:

https://bluewine.uk/

Only found out it existed last week.

Okay, a little bit of that blue is from natural colourants found in fruits other than grapes but most of it comes from grape skin. Its nothing special, just a fun wine that makes a fun and quirky gift to the bird if they enjoy their sweet and fruity rose types.

Soldato
I'm fairly sure the answer is no.

If it is still a law, please provide a reference.

If it was ever a law, please provide a reference.

England and Scotland weren't even at war most of the time and even countries at war didn't legalise random murders. It wasn't even legal in England to murder Frenchmen and those two countries were at war more often than not. The English/Scottish border region was quite unstable for quite a while, but I know of no evidence that any such law ever existed even locally.

as close to a reference as I can be bothered to look, not exactly definitive but it does appear it was a law at one point in time (think it comes from Cromwell's era!)

http://skeptics.stackexchange.com/questions/6754/is-it-legal-to-kill-a-scotsman-in-york
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2007/nov/07/uk.queensspeech20072

Soldato

You do know that some white wines are made with red grapes too? just not involving the skin?

-edit guess who skipped ahead and didn't read the inbetween posts

Last edited:
Man of Honour
as close to a reference as I can be bothered to look, not exactly definitive but it does appear it was a law at one point in time (think it comes from Cromwell's era!)

http://skeptics.stackexchange.com/questions/6754/is-it-legal-to-kill-a-scotsman-in-york

Which explicitly states that there is no evidence any such law ever existed and it's highly implausible.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2007/nov/07/uk.queensspeech20072[/QUOTE]

Which contains no evidence that any such law ever existed and also cites another famous law as being current when it was repealed in the mid 17th century and only existed for a little over 10 years (eating mince pies at Christmas).

It does not appear it was a law at any point in time. It definitely isn't a law today (as was originally claimed).

Soldato
Which contains no evidence that any such law ever existed and also cites another famous law as being current when it was repealed in the mid 17th century and only existed for a little over 10 years (eating mince pies at Christmas).

It does not appear it was a law at any point in time. It definitely isn't a law today (as was originally claimed).

Maybe it was more of a guideline.... :) ;)

Soldato
Had to grab a link to Ken Dodd singing about his Diddy men for... reasons, when a couple of seconds into it the penny dropped.
They're called Diddy men, because they're diddy (small).

:eek:

(when that penny dropped, it made a huge crater)

He's been going on about Diddy men since the '60s & I only caught onto this a couple of days ago. :rolleyes:

One great line from the 80's tax scandal - Ken Dodd has 2 new diddy men - diddy pay and diddy ****

Caporegime
Retina detachment. The worse your eyesight is the more risk you have it happening... scary.
A guy I used to work with had that happen.

Twice.

The treatment makes me feel sick just thinking about it. They start by giving you something to dilate your pupil, then they detach your cornea from the front of your eye. They remove some of the fluid in your eyeball, inject a bubble of gas, then use tiny stitches to reattach your cornea. After that you have to lie on your front for literally weeks and the bubble of gas in your eyeball holds your retina against the back of your eyeball and your body heals it back on. In the meantime your body slowly reabsorbs the gas bubble and eventually you have a working eye again.

jkb

jkb

Associate
I never knew that there is a little triangle beside the fuel gauge of a car pointing to the side of the car where you put in the fuel. I've been driving for 33 years and I only found this out a few months ago when my daughter told me.

Caporegime
I never knew that there is a little triangle beside the fuel gauge of a car pointing to the side of the car where you put in the fuel. I've been driving for 33 years and I only found this out a few months ago when my daughter told me.
Not all cars have them. None of the cars I've owned have.

Soldato
A guy I used to work with had that happen.

Twice.

The treatment makes me feel sick just thinking about it. They start by giving you something to dilate your pupil, then they detach your cornea from the front of your eye. They remove some of the fluid in your eyeball, inject a bubble of gas, then use tiny stitches to reattach your cornea. After that you have to lie on your front for literally weeks and the bubble of gas in your eyeball holds your retina against the back of your eyeball and your body heals it back on. In the meantime your body slowly reabsorbs the gas bubble and eventually you have a working eye again.

Ugh its awful, glad i know the warning signs at least. How old was he when it happened?

Back
Top Bottom