Thinking about doing some guttering and drainage improvements around my house

My mums 1950s has similar air bricks into rooms and it is cavity wall. Your brick pattern looks like cavity wall too (normally its long brick, short brick, long brick, short brick). Other than a few patch jobs yours looks mostly long brick long brick.
Every 4th course there is a course with a mix of end on bricks and long bricks.

He's priced your little job as if it is a big job though.
Im struggling to share the view to be honest. What is a big job (a £1k job) in your view? This job isn't big in terms of laying hundreds of bricks but its also a very patchy job isn't it, its repair work not just laying rows of bricks on autopilot. My EV charger was a grand remember, he was here a couple hours thats all. A grand is a lot of money still but doesn't get you much these days.

Last edited:
PXL-20240902-154038963.jpg

Trying to get the paint off.

The first layer is coming off with a heat gun, just blistering as its like internal emulsion. However not sure how to get the underneath layers off.

Have tried paint stripper, not really doing much.

Brick acid?

Or an angle grinder and wire brush?

Any ideas?

I may have to paint it again if I cant get it to come up decent.

Last edited:
In this case Im also paying for the convenience factor of not having to do it myself, can get it done quicker, and it will be peace of mind that its been done by someone with competance.

How are you vetting people to make sure they have competance? Never mind how much they charge, the hard part is finding someone decent.

How are you vetting people to make sure they have competance? Never mind how much they charge, the hard part is finding someone decent.
Yeah tell me about it. Im looking on google reviews etc. trying to find local people. Its hard.

I may have found someone local who has done roofing work on several houses in the street. Fingers crossed.

A big part of the problem here is that this isn't just one job that needs doing. Its lots of smaller things that needs to come together to rectify these specific problems, and I want to get this done before the winter.

Brickwork repair/repointing/crack repair
Brick up small window.
Paint removal
Laying some acco drain
New concrete pad to fall away from house into drain
Guttering and downpipe renewal
Sorting out the kitchen wastes

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom