Thinking about doing some guttering and drainage improvements around my house

Are you sure it needs a massive compressor? You can get some fairly decent units for around £100. Granted they might be running pretty often, but if you are only using it for a small amount of time it will be fine. Plus a compressor is always useful around the house for various other things
I have a small 24L 8 bar compressor already. The sandblasting units seem to require around 15-20 cfm air flow at 8 bar which is over 400 litres/min. My 24 litre compressor is rated for about 120 litres/min so its way too small. This appears to be consistent with what the reviews say about these devices - that you need a decent compressor.

I have a small 24L 8 bar compressor already. The sandblasting units seem to require around 15-20 cfm air flow at 8 bar which is over 400 litres/min. My 24 litre compressor is rated for about 120 litres/min so its way too small. This appears to be consistent with what the reviews say about these devices - that you need a decent compressor.
New compressor too then, you'll still be under that £700 quote :D

New picture of corner where the outhouse electrical cable has been put through the wall.

PXL-20240906-110018963.jpg

See that other cable to the right of the more modern one?

I think its a cable but not sure. Its a material Ive never seen before, kind of a hard plastic.

Whatever it is, they nailed the trunking for the new cable to it. You can see the nail sticking out and the hole where another nail was.

I had someone visit today to give me another quote. This time this is via my 'mybuilder' advert where I specifically asked for approx 10m2 of repointing, some brickwork repairs as required and bricking up the side window. I'll let you know what I get quoted.

Last edited:
Shocking. Literally.
Couldn’t have said it any better.

Neither of those cables are outdoor rated. The UV will wreck them.

They should either be in proper conduit or be outdoor rated. Where it goes underground, it should really be SWA.

That brick pop is an absolute turd of a job. It’s probably not a problem structurally but it just looks a mess.

Couldn’t have said it any better.

Neither of those cables are outdoor rated. The UV will wreck them.

They should either be in proper conduit or be outdoor rated. Where it goes underground, it should really be SWA.

That brick pop is an absolute turd of a job. It’s probably not a problem structurally but it just looks a mess.
Yes the brick pop just shows the type of bodger who undertook this job.

PXL-20240906-181621110.jpg

Another 4-5 hrs this afternoon. Absolute mess everywhere. The paint is like chewing gum as it comes off.

Another 4 bricks could do with replacing up near the boiler vent, just underneath it. There's half a blue brick stuck in it and the rest of whatever hole was there filled in with mortar.

First of my quotes is in.

This is from someone who came to see the job yesterday. I specified the areas to be pointed and showed the areas of poor brickwork. I also showed the window to be bricked up.

"Hi Daniel nice to meet you yesterday
To rake and repoint back of property up to top of window height and round the corner top of window height,then under side of window all the way down to the little window,plus brick up little window inside and outside,and change bricks were needed including blues,Cost £2250 includes all materials,labour and removal of any rubbish thanks Jack."

So much for the £1k is too expensive?

Don't think it's funny really, it's leaving me in a very difficult position.

The quote is way overpriced but I'm stuck if I can't find anyone to do the work.
It's not leaving you in a difficult position at all. Your house isn't falling down - nothing is desperately urgent, so don't feel like you need to accept any quotes.

I'd suggest just asking around on Facebook or whatever for a recommended builder. Even if you have to wait a while.

You've done what looks like a decent job of stripping the paint. Given enough time then those bricks will weather and blend in ok.

Focus on what jobs are actually left, what is urgent, what you feel you can tackle and what you can't.

E.g. the window isn't as urgent but you can probably do that yourself in a day.
The brick repairs seem more urgent, and are maybe harder if bricks need removing so get someone to do that.
Repointing you can do over time

The house isn't falling down. Just do it over time yourself.

I gave up offering advice to the OP a while ago, but as you say, pick an area and tackle it and then once complete move onto the next.
It really isn't that difficult, even if you found a decent handy person to do as above.

This thread atm reads like a slow motion crash.

Back
Top Bottom