This Business and Moment...

Caporegime
Only proper IT certs previously is the A+ unless you count a Comp. Sci degree as one?

Whats the deal with this? Do you think the course you did was a bit of a let down? Not having a dig at you personally but have observed it a few times on here with other posters making similar comments about computer science at uni -> IT support, ostensibly it ought to be a really in demand degree course producing very employable graduates and it likely is at some institutions but others seem to have issues with it to the point where they then take a job/career path that doesn't require a degree in the first place.

You'd generally expect someone from a good CS program at a top ranked uni to be able to land a junior role as a developer or a BA somewhere or just land a job on a general grad scheme at various large companies or indeed go onto further study at a post grad level.

At the opposite end of the scale, I've had a couple of techie colleagues from bottom of the league table universities whose courses in IT or similar were much less academic but very practical and enabled them to hit the ground running in their techie careers.

I wonder if there is some sweet spot (or rather the opposite of a sweet spot) in between where students are let down by a course that aims to be academic but doesn't really pull it off well enough in some areas and isn't really as practical when it comes to techie/support type jobs as some of the more vocation courses at the lower ranked places either.

Soldato
Whats the deal with this? Do you think the course you did was a bit of a let down? Not having a dig at you personally but have observed it a few times on here with other posters making similar comments about computer science at uni -> IT support, ostensibly it ought to be a really in demand degree course producing very employable graduates and it likely is at some institutions but others seem to have issues with it to the point where they then take a job/career path that doesn't require a degree in the first place.

Welcome to today's world, most people who have degrees don't use them for the field they are in. Just went to uni for the sake of it, i don't have a degree myself but in my last job everyone in our HR department (over 30 of them) Had degrees in unrelated fields such as Zoology and whatever that degrees is called where you study rocks.

Soldato

I did my computer science degree and finished with a 2:1. During this time I found I didn't enjoy development as much as I thought and got offered a support role from the same company I did my placement year with. Complacency and laziness made me take the job and only now I'm realising I can achieve more and get paid better elsewhere.

Soldato
The certs on the whole have been changed to align to job roles more - Microsoft have also made them focus on Azure or M365 (O365 + Security + Win10). There are a few traditional "On-Prem" certs still out there.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Welcome to today's world, most people who have degrees don't use them for the field they are in. Just went to uni for the sake of it, i don't have a degree myself but in my last job everyone in our HR department (over 30 of them) Had degrees in unrelated fields such as Zoology and whatever that degrees is called where you study rocks.

Yeah but that is a bit different, it is pretty obvious that of say the couple of hundred psychology undergrads at a given university very few of them will actually end up either practising as clinical psychologists or engaging in research in the subject. There just isn't a need for anywhere near that many, most will have to just use their "transferable skills" and/or take advantage of the general desire for graduates in any discipline from good institutions to fulfil fast track positions in say the civil service or grad schemes at various employers etc..

On the other hand there is ostensibly plenty of demand for the sort of people CS programs should be turning out.

I did my computer science degree and finished with a 2:1. During this time I found I didn't enjoy development as much as I thought and got offered a support role from the same company I did my placement year with. Complacency and laziness made me take the job and only now I'm realising I can achieve more and get paid better elsewhere.

Fair enough, if you're looking at security have you taken a look at the various post grad options available? Oxford has a relevant part time MSc for example with what looks like quite a nice range of optional modules. That is the sort of thing that could allow for a career change and a step up in pay etc.. and in addition to getting a solid academic background in the area the brand name is potentially a nice CV booster that would give you a high probability of getting through the initial HR filter/landing a first interview at most employers.

Soldato

Didn't work at Homeserve did you?

My brother in law worked in HR there and had a degree in Zoology :p

Soldato
Thanks pal. What traditional ones are still about?

Do they not do Server ones anymore?

Windows 10 certs are still around but they are now called Modern Desktop certifications.

MCSA Server exams for 2012r2 and 2016 are still available and there will be some for 2019 which I'm going to take soon as its available.

Didn't work at Homeserve did you?

My brother in law worked in HR there and had a degree in Zoology :p

Lol, nah this was for a police force.

Soldato
What Malachi said!
I’d recommend going ahead and doing some of the Azure Certs - worth the study and could be a good route to diversify your skill set / employability (always combine with experience!)

Underboss
Anyone got a link to some good SCCM resources/training?

I need to get some proper training for some of the upcoming projects in my companies pipeline and I am a total new starter to the apps packaging world.

Soldato
Anyone got a link to some good SCCM resources/training?

I need to get some proper training for some of the upcoming projects in my companies pipeline and I am a total new starter to the apps packaging world.

Follow this guy and some of the guys he follows on Twitter etc.

https://deploymentresearch.com/

ConfMgr on YouTube too: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtxiI4-xpT7PxXeSaLR65cQ/videos

If you're gonna be setting up SCCM from scratch, look no further than the Hydration pack from Johan. https://deploymentresearch.com/Rese...nd-ConfigMgr-Current-Technical-Preview-Branch

I spent a few years as primarily a SCCM Administrator for a large college so feel free to give me a shout, i'm a bit behind with some of the newer tech but it doesn't change too much.

Underboss
Follow this guy and some of the guys he follows on Twitter etc.

https://deploymentresearch.com/

ConfMgr on YouTube too: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtxiI4-xpT7PxXeSaLR65cQ/videos

If you're gonna be setting up SCCM from scratch, look no further than the Hydration pack from Johan. https://deploymentresearch.com/Rese...nd-ConfigMgr-Current-Technical-Preview-Branch

I spent a few years as primarily a SCCM Administrator for a large college so feel free to give me a shout, i'm a bit behind with some of the newer tech but it doesn't change too much.

Thanks Throrik, it’s already in place and running but I wasn’t involved with the project at all until now so am a little behind on the ins and outs. Playing around with logs and reports today but need a more solid grounding and bit of background always helps.

I’ll check out the links.

Soldato
OP
**** me sideways, I'm managing 4 different offshore teams at the moment. One in Egypt, one in Bosnia & Herzegovina, and one in India. JEEEEESUS this is culturally a pain in my arse. It's actually painful trying to get them to communicate effectively and raise issues or questions when they have them. Not go off doing something completely wrong, because they can't work out what to do. Having most issues with India, I can manage the Egyptian team and the B&H team I think need to be better planners and managing the tickets, but will ask qs when then come up.

Soldato
**** me sideways, I'm managing 4 different offshore teams at the moment. One in Egypt, one in Bosnia & Herzegovina, and one in India. JEEEEESUS this is culturally a pain in my arse. It's actually painful trying to get them to communicate effectively and raise issues or questions when they have them. Not go off doing something completely wrong, because they can't work out what to do. Having most issues with India, I can manage the Egyptian team and the B&H team I think need to be better planners and managing the tickets, but will ask qs when then come up.

I feel your pain, in my brief 10-11 month foray into management I had to go out to Manila and set up a NOC out there - fantastic guys but trying to get them to communicate and organise stuff was a bloody nightmare. Culture is so different, they take things very literally.

Back
Top Bottom