This Business and Moment...

Associate
Release for the big thing we've been working on is this Tuesday! Valorant. https://beta.playvalorant.com/en-us/

Been constant work for about the last 18 months or so on the infrastructure side, probably the most interesting project I've worked on, although - the last 3-4 months have been a bit weird... Trying to build and deploy a free to play competitive FPS shooter, at hyper-scale - with the entire workforce working from home. It's been as interesting as it has been challenging and frightening.. That combined with how Covid has delayed my L-1 VISA to the US, has kinda gotten be down a bit, but hopefully all the things will smooth out soon..

Hoping to get some of my life back in the next weeks months, provided everything goes smoothly from our side..

Then I need to work at reducing the size of my gut :|

Really cool project to work on! I wanted to be a game dev at one point (my degree is actually CS + games dev), before realising the harsh realities of the industry vs 'normal' software devleopment.

What's the infra like for valorant? Do you use a cloud provider or have you rolled your own servers?

Soldato
Really cool project to work on! I wanted to be a game dev at one point (my degree is actually CS + games dev), before realising the harsh realities of the industry vs 'normal' software devleopment.

What's the infra like for valorant? Do you use a cloud provider or have you rolled your own servers?

Yeah, spent most of my life working for ISPs, and I've always been a gamer - so never thought I'd end up putting two and two together!

We have our own global network, essentially one gigantic peering network, (which is the stuff I work on) servers are a mixture of our own metal in DCs and AWS, depending on location/latency.

Man of Honour
No movement on my interview yet :o I have checked the online area and no update since the 12th May and did phone today but it seems everyone is working from home or people have been off for some time. Just have to be patient I suppose!

Soldato
@mrk congrats. What's your notice period and when do you start.

They kept you waiting, I hate Friday interviews as you're left waiting all weekend.

Were you able to negotiate on the salary. Benefits and perks better than previous employers?

Man of Honour
@mrk congrats. What's your notice period and when do you start.

They kept you waiting, I hate Friday interviews as you're left waiting all weekend.

Were you able to negotiate on the salary. Benefits and perks better than previous employers?

I've got a 30 day notice period but can't hand notice in until I have a confirmed start date. I didn't really negotiate with the offer as it was already quite high and more than what I was on before, the standard perks and benefits are also strong, flexible working, annual bonus, 6% pension contribution along with the 4% I put in, retail discounts and other bits. My main benefit is it's within 15-20 minutes walking distance. I currently work within walking distance too but this new role saves 20 mins of extra walking which is great and if I ever move to another town years down the line, then this company is global. I was told that once in, where I want to go is almost limitless, up, sideways etc not a problem.

I currently get retail benefits anyway with the blue light card and will keep that card until it expires (2 years left), so there is that additional little bonus too I guess :p

I think the process has taken longer due to covid-19. many people are WFH or not in at all and I guess we are all in the same boat! My experience has been excellent though and their recruitment department said the main boss was very impressed with the interview which was reassuring.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Cheers all! Just got on-boarding details and now awaiting the security clearance stuff. I've been through sc before at the current job so this should be easy, just the process itself takes some weeks. It is what it is!

Man of Honour
Exactly! It's 20 mins saving on walking time too and is conveniently located. All in all I can see this being a career for life with a global company and opportunities to be part of some big things :cool:

Soldato
OP
Man what a week I've got on. So much to do, trying to juggle it all is going to be a mission.

Currently trying to take a load of notes and make them make sense to present and I've got papers all over my desk trying not to leave anything out. :eek:

Soldato
OP
Maybe it's fate/the Universe's plan for me?
I like to think that all these things are a combination of the efforts you have put in over your life/ work. A lot of people said I was lucky to get the job that brought me out here, but all the events that led up to that were me putting myself out there. I only had the experience to do it because I grabbed it, and took on more and more work I was interested in and grew. I went all the way to Basel for an interview, and then drove all the way there with nothing but a bag of clothes and computer with me in the back of my ****** little saxo all the way from the UK. So if it's luck, or the universes plan, sure, but I think you should also give yourself a pat on the back for being where you are :)

Man of Honour
I like to think that all these things are a combination of the efforts you have put in over your life/ work. A lot of people said I was lucky to get the job that brought me out here, but all the events that led up to that were me putting myself out there. I only had the experience to do it because I grabbed it, and took on more and more work I was interested in and grew. I went all the way to Basel for an interview, and then drove all the way there with nothing but a bag of clothes and computer with me in the back of my ****** little saxo all the way from the UK. So if it's luck, or the universes plan, sure, but I think you should also give yourself a pat on the back for being where you are :)

Oh for sure, I know what you mean there! Everything I have achieved both in and out of work has been through putting focus in and getting out there and doing it, I guess I could have worded it a bit better but what I meant earlier was that the Universe balances things out (Causality/ cause and effect).

At least that's been my experiences over the years, like something bad has happened previously that makes you wonder why bad things happen to otherwise seemingly good people, and then this happens that makes you realise that because the new roots that spawned from that bad event, had it not happened, you'd not ben in this position today. Apologies if that doesn't make sense lol but it's not meant to be spiritual or religious or anything that like, just this is the law of the Universe, a star is born through a random event, the star lasts for trillions of years, then it collapses into a black hole swallows everything within its gravitational pull. One day this black hole will collide with another body and release immense energy creating new stars and planets through that event and the cycle continues for eternity. Cause and effect!

Soldato
OP
the new roots that spawned from that bad event, had it not happened, you'd not ben in this position today
100% get you on that. It's all perspective as well. You could see it as a bad thing, or you could take the opportunity to make something of it you wouldn't have otherwise done. I think that's a lot to do with attitude in how you approach things too.

Either way. Buzzing about the new job for you! It's a great feeling.

Back
Top Bottom