This Business and Moment...

Soldato
At least you have proper steerco.

My steerco is of an update, than an actual steering committee!

Steerco here is a mutiprogramme update meeting, that the CDIO has already had a replica in the morning.
It’s not an industry focused steering group, it’s a CDIO/CISO/plus SLT programme review.. which basically answers the question “when can I have it?” Followed by “who do I need to shout at?” And no one is actually interested in the slides.

Soldato
I have a sneaking suspicion that come monday.. the vendors will stand down. I will be supporting 41 services between 3 people.. underpinning at least three operating companies.. and one of those is off for 2 weeks vacation.

In my old job when business played games I threatened to disconnect and shutdown their services.
The role I am doing is now sitting outside of the power play kindergarten. So I don’t have the authority todo that..
All this mess is operating boards vs group board vs operating boards vs operating boards.. all arguing as the financial model is a funding split rather than first develop pays.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think I'm covering at least part of 3 managers roles, and part of a 4th dev role. This is across DevOps, Infrastructure and now Application Development. This is addition to my own existing main role which is 50:50 between two different areas. I've been given new support work across at least 4 different systems, 3 of which I have no experience of.

I don't work in IT, but it does sound like typical IT to me. The business people do not understand the time and effort necessary to keep IT running smoothly. The question is, what can an IT person do about it? It seems to me most IT jobs always become highly pressurised because the business teams become overly demanding without taking an interest in what is actually involved. I am not sure how to address this, but there must be a way.

Soldato
Funnily enough, we were interviewing for a junior role yesterday and someone asked us "What makes you work at this company rather than another in the industry?"

My manager said the technology function is actually respected by other departments here. I'll take that, as much as we have some general unilateral top down management issues.

Man of Honour
I don't work in IT, but it does sound like typical IT to me. The business people do not understand the time and effort necessary to keep IT running smoothly. The question is, what can an IT person do about it? It seems to me most IT jobs always become highly pressurised because the business teams become overly demanding without taking an interest in what is actually involved. I am not sure how to address this, but there must be a way.

It's certainly not uncommon.

What I see happening is over time people pick up 'baggage', they build more and more tacit knowledge and become more and more 'go-to' people for particular subjects (bit of a tangent, but it's one reason why I think traditional salary models are a bit broken, because I think a lot of IT workers are overpaid when they first join a company but never get properly rewarded for their increasing effectiveness / responsibilities over time and end up being underpaid... i.e. the salary curve is way too flat. After 2 years in a role people might earn say 10% more than when they started, but really they should earn 50% more starting from a lower base). This is particuarly a problem if there is also growth in demand / scale, the cognitive load ramps up and organisations are too slow to react in adding more bodies to effectively manage the workload (adding the wrong people at the wrong time can in some cases just make things worse). The only time I've ever quit a job without another one lined up yet was a situation like this where I was basically doing the jobs of at least 2 and arguably 6 people. My team size underneath me more than doubled but that still wasn't enough plus for me as the head of that team, it just meant more overheads, more meetings to attend etc.

In terms of addressing the business engagement, if I reflect on what I think has worked [relatively] well in the past, it has been where you get a business person that has some level of tech knowledge/interest moving into a dedicated (not side of desk) product owner role and commits to working daily with the technical teams where necessary. Effectively they bridge the 'us and them' gap - they see first hand why things take so long to deliver technically, but also they have their finger on the pulse of what the business needs, they have very good domain knowledge and stakeholder relationships (compared to say hiring in some random external 'career product owner'). So it becomes a much more fluid and less transactional relationship across business and IT. Probably wouldn't fit every scenario though.

At least you have proper steerco.

My steerco is of an update, than an actual steering committee!
Steercos seem to differ wildly between orgs (heck, even between programmes at the same org). I once worked on a very tightly run programme where steercos were highly structured, explicit structures to the decks, strong direction from the senior people. It still wasn't perfect however, the approach to risk management was effectively holding up a mirror (if a workstream lead/PM raised a risk, it would just be reflected back at them as an action to come up with a plan to mitigate it.... the whole point of people raising risks at a steerco is because it is something they need help with, if it was something they could easily mitigate, it wouldn't make the cut for top X risks as they'd already have a plan in place). And then of course I've seen some other steercos where there was barely a ToR, no concept of quorum, sporadic attendance, lack of structure, just used for information sharing etc

Last edited:
Soldato
Finally had some news - round 2 interview will be a panel interview with 2 or 3 of the existing managers/senior team leads.

The panel will definitely be the two other team leads in US, and potentially also my current manager in UK.

Since all 3 already support me getting the role, hopefully this means this is just a formality.

Took a while for this to be finally scheduled... but interview is now finally in the diary for tomorrow, 1hr long, panel 3 - my current line manager in the UK, and the two teams leads in US.

Don
Thank you for highlighting yet another way my company is spending money while being under resourced :p

Cannot unsee!
Go woke go broke! :p

I think in this companies case, they need to go in extremely hard on DEI type stuff to have any hope of external investment, but being oil related it still won’t be enough. Just a matter of time before they implode.

I think it’s Menopause Awareness next in the calendar :p

Soldato
Took a while for this to be finally scheduled... but interview is now finally in the diary for tomorrow, 1hr long, panel 3 - my current line manager in the UK, and the two teams leads in US.

Interview was surprisingly tough. Some of the questions asked specifically to give examples from previous roles, which is really tough given that I've been in my current role for 7 years!

I was definitely expecting an easier interview since I've worked with all 3 people on the panel for the past 7 years daily. Still, I think it went well overall.
Should know more in a couple of weeks - at this point I just want to know if I have the job and hence need to start planning for the move to US ... or if I don't have that role, then to restart looking for a new external opportunity here in London in order to progress in my career.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Some of the questions asked specifically to give examples from previous roles, which is really tough given that I've been in my current role for 7 years!

I've always hated those questions - someone who isn't overall a good candidate might have ready experiences to hand, someone who may be far better might not be able to answer them easily - in my job any given period I might come off very differently depending on what happened in recent months. As well as the potential complication of previous roles or jobs.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
asked specifically to give examples from previous roles, which is really tough given that I've been in my current role for 7 years!

I was definitely expecting an easier interview since I've worked with all 3 people on the panel for the past 7 years daily
If the whole panel has worked with you daily for 7 years they probably don't need to ask for many examples from your current role, as they all have observed you for well over a thousand days.
Personally, I'd view this as a positive as a common issue I've found is some managers pay no attention to what a person has done before joining that company, pigeon-holing them into whatever they've seen them do at that company and making themselves oblivious to the fact that the person might be experienced in other fields.

I've always hated those questions - someone who isn't overall a good candidate might have ready experiences to hand, someone who may be far better might not be able to answer them easily - in my job any given period I might come off very differently depending on what happened in recent months. As well as the potential complication of previous roles or jobs.
This is one of the 'luck' elements that slips into the interview process, whereby you can get asked a question about an area you haven't got experience in or prepped for and have to think on your feet. What I would suggest is:
  • Treat your CV as the anchor, whatever you've written there have some examples prepared around common interview areas. You can't guarantee they won't ask something off-piste but you don't want to trip up when asked a cliched interview question they will be expecting you to be waiting for.
  • Develop a technique that gives you more thinking time. Sometimes what I'll do is not directly answer the question (perhaps giving an example of something similar), but then towards the end of my answer acknowledge that and swing it back round on topic "but to answer your question, XYZ"
  • As the interview flows, if you suddenly recall a good example for a previous question don't be afraid to refer back to that "actually what we're discussing here is probably another example of ABC"
In my experience luck definitely plays a role in interviews in terms of what questions get asked, but you can slightly reduce both the chance of being unlucky and the impact of being unlucky.

Soldato
If the whole panel has worked with you daily for 7 years they probably don't need to ask for many examples from your current role, as they all have observed you for well over a thousand days.
Personally, I'd view this as a positive as a common issue I've found is some managers pay no attention to what a person has done before joining that company, pigeon-holing them into whatever they've seen them do at that company and making themselves oblivious to the fact that the person might be experienced in other fields.

I think the part that frustrated me was that those questions were aimed at giving examples of things that I was never given an opportunity to show in my current role.

For example - one of the questions was about line managing people. That's something I have been asking to do for a several years now as my next step in my current role - yet the only opportunity I was given was for a 3 month period last year to manage one person, before we then had a re-org and flattened the structure so that everyone reported direct to my manager.
The team in London is simply not big enough to have multi-layered structure, unlike the US team that is much larger.

I wouldn't mind getting asked that question in an external interview... but that's different to getting asked that question in an internal interview by 3 people who all know that I've been pushing to get this responsibility, and it has been our corporate structure (here in London) that has prevented it.
It's the reason why I'm going for this role in the US - to get to the next step that I'll never be able to do here in London in this company.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Something on my mind quite a bit lately work wise - scope creep/expectations on top of my base role seem to be ever expanding while the uplift for performing those extra duties hasn't moved on, even though I've had some increase to my base pay. Wouldn't mind so much but increasingly lately it is a headache due to other parts of the business dropping the ball and I'm having to do a lot of damage control.

Looking around for the same level of headache I could be getting 20-30% more money with the possibility of progress (possibly even double the salary) but on the other hand I don't need the money and there are benefits to where I am in terms of autonomy, fitting with my lifestyle and work with some decent people. (I've previously worked with some very difficult people so always leery on that aspect of going into somewhere new).

But I'm certainly feeling less and less motivated and more and more edging into the quiet/slow quit mindset even though that isn't me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom