This Business and Moment...

Soldato
Just had an email from one of our directors:

"Stu, I just wanted to say I appreciate all you're doing for the company.

You really are our unsung hero!

If you ever need to give me feedback on any concerns or suggestions which will make your life easier, please don't hesitate.

Cheers."

Sometimes, that can make the world of difference to someone's day!

Soldato
OP
I don't think a lot of people understand that we're like dogs and sometimes just need a good patting.

I'm having an emotionally tough week, we're supposed to be on holiday, I put my back out and have been pretty ruined but working as I need to. This is not really understood, and causes some tension at home with the wife. I don't think anyone could understand the stress and pressure that is felt in this position unless they've done it. Sigh. Just venting. As you were.

Caporegime
This indeed. Just an email to say "well done" to show some recognition can really go a long way! Especially when you pour your heart in your work!

Last day at the airline tomorrow. Arranged a lunch and a few people asked if I'm inviting my manager which has had a few colourful responses so far from me :D

Caporegime
Well its my final day and my boss has been trying his best to stress me out but he doesn't realise I simply won't allow him to do it. He keeps purposely asking me awkward/difficult questions or giving me a task and 2 minutes to do it. But hey, hes only annoying himself at this point, silly child.

Just had my final lunch, 13 people came along including the company vice president whos a really lovely guy. When asked if I was inviting my manager I said no and his response was "I'm not surprised" :D

Will still miss this place in ways. Fortunately Microsoft is a 15min walk away so I can still meet friends for lunch :)

Man of Honour
Not started yet - won't start till the end of March. I have too much to close off to be able to start any sooner... but I've accrued a ridiculous amount of holiday already and they won't pay me for it, so just going to give myself a long week before new role and just accept I'll lose the holiday.

Soldato
Does anybody ever get that "imposter syndrome" when starting a new job?

I've always felt a little bit of that, but I soon get over it - however sometimes it can be pretty chronic. I guess it is a little self doubt or the unknown of starting a new environment.

Just curious to hear other people's experiences. :)

I've always had this and never been able to shake it.. But I'm getting to the point in life I might as well accept it.. It's especially bad on starting a new job, but as you say no matter how little you think you know, you will always find out after a couple of months that everyone else seems to know even less!

Associate
meh
first email i read this morning at work is the confirmation that my employment will change to PAYE rather than Ltd.
so it's official 28% paycut, which some of it i can recoup via not having to pay dividend tax and an accountant.
still great way to start the week :(

Underboss
I have a presentation to a bunch of senior people today, on a subject I'm not as au fait as I want to be.

I'm not great at delivery, I always seem to hear my voice cracking but apparently it doesn't. Any tips from the experienced presentation givers bar the "picture them all nekkid" ones.

Soldato
It's bonus pay day tomorrow. Expecting a few resignations from my team after that. It's been a pretty bad year for the business.

:(

Commissario
I will hear today or tomorrow if I've been successful for one of my recent job applications, last person is being interviewed today and I believe it's between me and him!

Man of Honour
I've always had this and never been able to shake it.. But I'm getting to the point in life I might as well accept it.. It's especially bad on starting a new job, but as you say no matter how little you think you know, you will always find out after a couple of months that everyone else seems to know even less!

That's what tends to happen. You realise that you are actually good at what you do, but you don't realise until you interact with others, who look at you and say "wow, I hadn't thought of that"... even though it's obvious to you.

I'm at the age/point in life where I know I won't be able to shake it either, but I am good at gritting my teeth and getting on with it - almost to prove it to myself.

Man of Honour
I have a presentation to a bunch of senior people today, on a subject I'm not as au fait as I want to be.

I'm not great at delivery, I always seem to hear my voice cracking but apparently it doesn't. Any tips from the experienced presentation givers bar the "picture them all nekkid" ones.

Practice. Practice. Practice. I know it's obvious, but the more you become happy with the presentation the easier it becomes.

Also, as hard as it is, film yourself. Analyse yourself, and practice some more.

I present a lot, often to large groups of people (100+) and to senior managers and CEOs of businesses as well as government. I still get very anxious about it. But I practice. In smaller meetings, I look confident because I have practiced so much, and people say to me "how to you appear so natural?" - it's about story telling rather than reading a script/reading powerpoint slides. If you can tell a story (it doesn't have to be funny, just engaging) and practice the right use of rhetoric you'll be able to create a more interesting presentation, but also you will feel more comfortable telling a story. You should and must include relevant facts, you could use Cicero's rule of 3 approach for more poignant points.

I have a stack of useful info at the office I'll have a look and see if any of it I can share.

Back
Top Bottom