This Business and Moment...

Man of Honour
Interview went well, so did revision, NOT, since I mainly revised MS and HPE storage stuff and I got hammered on Citrix and VMware. I think I did enough to impress, their body language and what they were saying at the end seemed more of a successful end rather than a thanks see ya type affair.

Agent representing the job I used to do was in touch to confirm rates which is what I'd been waiting on, a whole £13 a day more than I'm on now, but £38 more than I used to be on there and £63 more than the job above is paying.

So potentially have to decide between 3 jobs:
1) keep current, doing 155 miles a day.
2) go to old one, £13 more a day but only 6 miles from home. I know the team, I know the job, I can walk in and immediately settle. But it's a little stale with old tech.
3) take one I had an interview this morning for (if offered). Newer tech, but a pay drop, potential for weekend working. Only 4 miles from home, 300 yards from girlfriends flat, right in city centre. Complete new industry, but of a jump, could potentially lead places but could also lead to back where I am now.

Decisions.

I've just been offered the job I was interviewed for yesterday.

Apparently they wanted to offer it to me there and then as they were so impressed with me in the interview, even though I thought I did about average. They just wanted to make sure that the person being interviewed today wasn't a genius.

Now have to wait and see if an offer comes through for my old job and take it from there. They need to hurry though as I'm not sure how long I can keep the current offer on the table for.

Huge relief as now I know no matter what, I'm out of here and this commute can kiss my arse.

Man of Honour
There's a few issues with the old place/job:
  • There's no air con, so it's a furnace in the summer.
  • There's generally no money, for anything. New hardware, software etc are a dream. When I left it was still 2008 R2 with only some servers on 2012 R2. We're about to roll out 2016 here.
  • At least when I was there the coworkers are generally dross.
  • The job itself is not that great and stale (application support rather than infrastructure).
  • Some weeks you're very busy, others you're clock watching.
  • The skillset you gain from the job is not much use elsewhere as it's all bespoke stuff.
  • One bonus is that I got to walk around like a proper boss, because no one had any idea about the UNIX side of things so I could make stuff up and get away with all sorts.
Rates haven't been confirmed for my old job, but it's looking like a difference of £500-700 per month if the various calculators are to be believed. I can do without it, but I could also do with it as I'd be debt free a lot sooner. In reality there won't be that much difference as that's based on withdrawing the max amount from my Ltd company which I rarely do anyway.

That said the role looks I've been offered today more exciting:
  • Newer hardware, working on blades and SANs rather than standalone servers on old hardware.
  • I'd get to do Cisco stuff. They said a lot of their switches are well out of date and need upgrading. Plus the network as a whole needs cleaning up. I like this sort of work.
  • They're upgrading from vSphere 6 to 6.5 - that would be my job. They're also adding a new 460 blade into the 7000 enclosure, again, would be my job.
  • Ability to work from home via remote Citrix.
  • Few hours on a Saturday here and there doing out of hours maintenance/upgrades means a day off in the week and a full day rate claim.
  • It's a proper, global, civilian company which may open more doors than working in the sector I am now.
Heart says new role, head says old job.

Last edited:
Associate
Rates haven't been confirmed for my old job, but it's looking like a difference of £500-700 per month if the various calculators are to be believed. I can do without it, but I could also do with it as I'd be debt free a lot sooner. In reality there won't be that much difference as that's based on withdrawing the max amount from my Ltd company which I rarely do anyway.

withdraw what the accountant tells you to rather than leaving cash in the your Ltd unless you need it for purchases for your company.
i know someone who treated his business account as a savings account, only took so much out every week leaving the rest in.
come day x he needed the cash, took the lot out and subsequently got hit by a large tax bill on his personal account. along with messing the accountant around as your books will be wrong.

so just withdraw the cash the accountant tells you to and have less headaches in the long run. :)

Caporegime
Whoever invented this Wannacry ransomware can rot in hell!

This week has been insanely busy. Fortunately the whole team is taking it positively so the moral is there and despite the enormous work load we've all just ploughed through it. Been tough going at times though. Difficult issues, panicking and scared customers. It's taken a lot more than technical knowledge this week...this is where the previous years of customer service has come into play!

Fun times! :)

Associate

This week has been insanely busy. Fortunately the whole team is taking it positively so the moral is there and despite the enormous work load we've all just ploughed through it. Been tough going at times though. Difficult issues, panicking and scared customers. It's taken a lot more than technical knowledge this week...this is where the previous years of customer service has come into play!

well we know who created the original code :p

Commissario
There's a few issues with the old place/job:
  • There's no air con, so it's a furnace in the summer.
  • There's generally no money, for anything. New hardware, software etc are a dream. When I left it was still 2008 R2 with only some servers on 2012 R2. We're about to roll out 2016 here.
  • At least when I was there the coworkers are generally dross.
  • The job itself is not that great and stale (application support rather than infrastructure).
  • Some weeks you're very busy, others you're clock watching.
  • The skillset you gain from the job is not much use elsewhere as it's all bespoke stuff.
  • One bonus is that I got to walk around like a proper boss, because no one had any idea about the UNIX side of things so I could make stuff up and get away with all sorts.

That said the role looks I've been offered today more exciting:
  • Newer hardware, working on blades and SANs rather than standalone servers on old hardware.
  • I'd get to do Cisco stuff. They said a lot of their switches are well out of date and need upgrading. Plus the network as a whole needs cleaning up. I like this sort of work.
  • They're upgrading from vSphere 6 to 6.5 - that would be my job. They're also adding a new 460 blade into the 7000 enclosure, again, would be my job.
  • Ability to work from home via remote Citrix.
  • Few hours on a Saturday here and there doing out of hours maintenance/upgrades means a day off in the week and a full day rate claim.
  • It's a proper, global, civilian company which may open more doors than working in the sector I am now.
Heart says new role, head says old job.

If the pay drop isn't too much of a burden then I'd say go for the new one!

Associate
Had my last day at work today, been a long 3 months since I handed my notice in. Technically still employed tomorrow but I've booked the day off as I'm at my new job in the afternoon for a meet and greet and free bar and then start on Monday. I worked there 8 years so sad day, not a single thought that I have made the wrong decision in moving on but also leaving a lot of people I enjoy working with.

Also got no car for 3 months now till my new one gets delivered, can walk to work though, certainly won't miss 90 miles round trip every day down the M56 & M6.

Soldato

Suddenly everyone waking up to their poor implementation of SCCM missing devices around their network? It has been an interesting week for sure!

Man of Honour
f4000526f596768f83dab9b3a8983402.jpg

Back
Top Bottom