This Business and Moment...

Soldato
OP
Sorted things out with dude. His current job distance from home is long and his "spare time" is limited. This, and, I know for a fact his Mrs he lives with is anti Me, and anti-emotuit too. She thinks I'm going to sack him off and leave him with nothing (she's never met me btw, she's just a massive ****), which is precisely the opposite, he has by far the highest % if you factor in the amount of work he does (or doesn't do).
Anyway, he apologised for being a dick and I said that my solution, which I think would be extremely favourable for him, would be to recruit someone to work under him for sweat/ equity, but this would mean that although he won't have to do as much of the heavy lifting he'll still have to switch to strategic/ management and be way more communicative than he has been so far.
I think I could have been really petty on this and gone through what his negotiations in his contract were regarding his time spend working on things, but I didn't.

/rant

I have so much to get through now I'm back, I'm supposed to be back out in South Carolina in a few weeks to speak at a conference, which I need to write up as well as book everything. I just don't know how I'm going to do it all at the moment.

Plus side, wife's been busy making cakes for people recently (she has 2 orders this week) and her YouTube page is doing well! (www.youtube.com/c/harpermaes - shameless plug)
Obviously thanks to my work in sorting out her branding etc. because I don't have too many jobs currently ;)

Moving house 1st July, which I just want to be now. I need to get it out the way and setup in the new place, as it stands we get the keys 1st July and 3rd I fly out to Mexico for work, get back 15th and fly out to Portugal. :/

Soldato
^^ I don't get it? Looking for jobs as they sent you home? Or just don't like it? lol
No, not because they sent me home im glad they did as my stubborn self would have stayed and probably made it a lot worse walking on it all day.

I dont mind the job just feel a change is in order after doing the same sort of jobs since i left school. Not sure what to though.

Soldato
Work doing an efficiency drive, everyone's hours being dropped by 1/5th because a manager is refusing to walk away. No idea wtf I'm supposed to do with a 28 hour week when I still have a to-do list overflowing a whiteboard and 217 hours of holiday still to take this year.

This would be a perfect opportunity to give the photography the push it needs (and I do kindof need the cash now) but a recent health scare has put me off trying to go it alone as I don't want to let clients down should I develop something similar again. Still managed to cover a track day this weekend as I'm on my own in the middle of a circuit, but a wedding/party would be a no-go. Need to start networking again :(

Soldato
OP
Man that sucks, seems like you're stuck a bit in the middle there. What was the health scare?

@ValiantUK91 what is it you do now and what do you like?

@Phate I'd love to, but would be better spent equity doing stuff like development, no one could really do my stuff anyway. Also, most of this is trying to balance sales/ strategy/ man management/ finances/ my day job (which I've been so bad at recently!) - something has to give (currently my health lol)

Soldato
Probably a bit harsh to call it a scare, more a wakeup call. First time with a chest infection which fortunately started just after a wedding (I blame that, was far too north!) which has sapped appetite, energy levels and attention span. Also comes with a disruptive cough regular enough to be a blight on anyone's special day. Once in 20+ years is pretty good statistically but I'm naturally a negative Nancy and using this as an excuse not to try.

The second shooter at that wedding (was a family do, I wasn't shooting it) was also off ill and they had to draft in cover, so it's given me some inspiration to network with other locals to offer cover for short notice events.

Associate
Think I'm done, not sure with just my current employer or with retail as a whole.

I transferred stores in November and took on a whole load of extra, unpaid responsibility when I did that. As part of that I dramatically turned the store around reducing shrink and driving sales. Fast forward to yesterday and it turns out that I missed out on a promotion to someone who is much older(and thus has more experience) but had taken on no extra responsibility, has little to no drive and hasn't as of yet contributed anything of note.

In hindsight I never should have taken on that extra responsibility without some proper pay or recognition for it.

The joys of being shafted for being young.

Soldato
Think I'm done, not sure with just my current employer or with retail as a whole.

I transferred stores in November and took on a whole load of extra, unpaid responsibility when I did that. As part of that I dramatically turned the store around reducing shrink and driving sales. Fast forward to yesterday and it turns out that I missed out on a promotion to someone who is much older(and thus has more experience) but had taken on no extra responsibility, has little to no drive and hasn't as of yet contributed anything of note.

In hindsight I never should have taken on that extra responsibility without some proper pay or recognition for it.

The joys of being shafted for being young.

Speak to a manager about it, have you expressed a desire to progress? If you can, speak to an area manager, even if you have to ask and book an appointment.

I've noticed that it's not always how hard you work, for some places it is just how much you shout and complain. For others, they see anyone who is young as not wanting to progress. If you speak to a manager and tell them what you've done, what you want you may find they look at pushing you through the ranks, mainly because if you can drive sales, you're going to make them look better.

Soldato
Well, at an all time low in my job.

I think I've missed out on an entry level infosec job with Bet365 which is ****, but more so, that I have sent several emails recently and spoken to a few directors regarding my position, salary and future within the company.

I currently do all tech support for the business, staff levels are approaching 450 over England and Wales, I've designed and updated 2 call centres. I've improved up time for the call centres due to less technical issues, as well as improving quality of work because I removed internet access to sites they didn't need. I'm creating a security policy and processes and also taken on some web, dev and SQL work from the director.

I was promised a meeting with the ops director and tech director to discuss my future and salary either yesterday or today, and I've just found out that the ops director is on another site today interviewing people for a £30k a year position in our call centre, which I am pretty certain I've helped one of the lads from here get and he deserves it.

I'm not comfortable staying still, I need to be learning and pushing myself to take on new things and I've hit the ceiling here.

Caporegime
@Phate I'd love to, but would be better spent equity doing stuff like development, no one could really do my stuff anyway. Also, most of this is trying to balance sales/ strategy/ man management/ finances/ my day job (which I've been so bad at recently!) - something has to give (currently my health lol)

You say this, but jobs such as booking your flights, finding hotels, expenses, you know...day to day admin stuff. There is no way you couldn't have a part time PA to do this kind of work. Setting up meetings. Taking your calls also wouldn't this give a good image to outsiders "oooh look hes got a secretary, must be fancy" ?

I'm not saying they need to make business decisions and what not, but the smaller tasks which are the annoying grunt work which take up the time (like I just suggested for example) could all be managed by a student looking for part time work. Would be initially busier whilst they picked up the ropes but once they got into it I would bet it would make you more productive.

Soldato
OP
Yea I hear you, I'm in the process of trying to essentially bring in people to do all the jobs I am not very good at (many haha) or just don't like as people are better suited, so I can concentrate on the things I am better at. It's a long old process, but I will probably end up just booking hotels and flights in the end :p hahaha

Man of Honour
Interview went well, so did revision, NOT, since I mainly revised MS and HPE storage stuff and I got hammered on Citrix and VMware. I think I did enough to impress, their body language and what they were saying at the end seemed more of a successful end rather than a thanks see ya type affair.

Agent representing the job I used to do was in touch to confirm rates which is what I'd been waiting on, a whole £13 a day more than I'm on now, but £38 more than I used to be on there and £63 more than the job above is paying.

So potentially have to decide between 3 jobs:
1) keep current, doing 155 miles a day.
2) go to old one, £13 more a day but only 6 miles from home. I know the team, I know the job, I can walk in and immediately settle. But it's a little stale with old tech.
3) take one I had an interview this morning for (if offered). Newer tech, but a pay drop, potential for weekend working. Only 4 miles from home, 300 yards from girlfriends flat, right in city centre. Complete new industry, but of a jump, could potentially lead places but could also lead to back where I am now.

Decisions.

Soldato
After a series of pretty tough interviews, looks like I got the job :)

It'll be a pretty scary cut in base pay, but the earning potential is much, much higher. Can't wait to start now :D

Back
Top Bottom