This Business and Moment...

Caporegime
You don't sound like anything I thought you would. :D

Serious congratulations to that.

Side note, my previous nightmare manager strikes again it seems...

Me becoming FTE is subject to passing a background check. Which includes my employment history over the past 7 years. I submitted everything my end a week and a half ago now.

Anyway, the background check company called me to say that the airline had not replied and if I knew anyone there I could speak to. So I told them yes as I am good friends with the head of HR (who is also a genuinely good person as well)

To cut a long story short she managed to find out that the company had emailed my old manager and he didn't respond to the email.

Now it could be a genuine "saw it, will reply later" got busy then forgot scenario. But naturally I think the worst in this guy.

Either way, this lack of response is holding up the background check. So Maria replies on my managers behalf and also calls the company to see if anything else is needed, so thats another tick in the box. It's lucky we were able to get this resolved fast as this could have jeopardized my getting the role!

What a ****!

Soldato
OP

Me becoming FTE is subject to passing a background check. Which includes my employment history over the past 7 years. I submitted everything my end a week and a half ago now.

Anyway, the background check company called me to say that the airline had not replied and if I knew anyone there I could speak to. So I told them yes as I am good friends with the head of HR (who is also a genuinely good person as well)

To cut a long story short she managed to find out that the company had emailed my old manager and he didn't respond to the email.

Now it could be a genuine "saw it, will reply later" got busy then forgot scenario. But naturally I think the worst in this guy.

Either way, this lack of response is holding up the background check. So Maria replies on my managers behalf and also calls the company to see if anything else is needed, so thats another tick in the box. It's lucky we were able to get this resolved fast as this could have jeopardized my getting the role!

What a ****!

Ah, hopefully that's the last time you need to deal with him!

Hahah what did you think i'd sound like? How's it different? Thanks! Had a great meeting tonight too with a uni out there and their head of continuing education and they really want to get a contact sorted. It'll start small but a great uni name, so hopefully...

Also being interviewed for an educational podcast tomorrow, so that's a nice bit of free marketing.

Soldato

What a ****!

Top Tip - never actually put your managers contact details, direct all reference requests to HR at stage one... no company is going to give anything other than a factual reference (date of employment, absence etc!)

Ah, hopefully that's the last time you need to deal with him!

Hahah what did you think i'd sound like? How's it different? Thanks! Had a great meeting tonight too with a uni out there and their head of continuing education and they really want to get a contact sorted. It'll start small but a great uni name, so hopefully...

Also being interviewed for an educational podcast tomorrow, so that's a nice bit of free marketing.

You do sound a bit posher than expected haha... mind you up here in Scotland anyone from outside here sounds posh :D

Soldato
Keep calm... It's only Monday and already getting lip from one of our distributors because everyone else is on holiday and I'm doing my best to cover for 2 other people (which they know about). Luckily I've got an email trail to show those tasks had been processed and that they were CC'ed in everything.

I'd love to move order processing in house to save on cash/time but there's no suitable facility locally to move to.

Soldato
OP
Sounds like it's all going well random - couldn't be an up-front interviewy type person myself, back end hiding away in an office somewhere for me lol.

It's slowly, hopefully, making progress, but there is always so much to do and it all seems to be really important. Yet these last 2 weeks I've been super productive and the team seems to have kicked back... WHY YOU NO WORK 100000hrs a day!?
I wouldn't say I was that type, but I've kind of been forced into it. I still get chronic sweats. It's a nightmare! But the more you do the more at ease I kind of become... kinda.

Top Tip - never actually put your managers contact details, direct all reference requests to HR at stage one... no company is going to give anything other than a factual reference (date of employment, absence etc!)

You do sound a bit posher than expected haha... mind you up here in Scotland anyone from outside here sounds posh :D

Haha that's my TV voice... tbh that's what I sound like unless I've had a drink and then I'm a bit less so.

I've been chatting to our new sales manager tonight about kicking things off, I like her but time will tell how she manages to deal with the education side of things. I remain hopeful.
I had an interview for an Edtech Podcast Saturday night, so that should be out in 3 weeks, too. Also, someone high up at nmc.org (basically like a Gartner for education stuff) I met in Austin and we were drinking loads throughout the week. She's a hoot. Anyway, she's written the Horizon research report for K-12 Analytics and mentioned us in there as well, so that's massive brownie points.

Just been looking for Sao Paulo flights tonight for Sept. That should be good if I can make the most out of it. There is a company there I know that has a lot of Unis they're partnered with, so hoping we can get them to "host" us and open up some Uni doors while we're there. I found a company (http://www.futureeducation.com.br/quemsomos) who are kind of like an accelerator based there, so I've reached out to them to see who I can tap up for some free networking or insight into the market and contacts.

I'm also speaking at a online learning conference in Orlando in Nov and supposed to be going to the Reimagine Education Awards in Phily in Dec as I'm one of the judges and it would be good PR but I think my dad is coming over to visit... I thought my travel was over for the year but it appears it'll never be over!

Soldato
Just out if interest, why are you focusing on the Edu market for the technology? Sure private orgs. have far bigger pockets for this type of stuff? I know we spend an obscene amount on enablement.

Soldato
OP
Just out if interest, why are you focusing on the Edu market for the technology? Sure private orgs. have far bigger pockets for this type of stuff? I know we spend an obscene amount on enablement.

Great Q: it was more to do with (ironically now, when you think about it) market share capability for the number of institutions using certain LMS's - When we were in the accelerator, to put yourself in the best position they wanted to see your ability to hit the biggest market share possible with what you're doing. And, with Blackboard and Canvas plugins, we cover ~60% of the Higher Ed market from a platform point of view.
No 2 integrations with corporate software could bring us that market share, as the LMS space is much more segmented there.

Obviously, like I said, it's ironic, as chasing individual corp LMS's and developing for them would probably bring us a bigger deal quicker, and therefore allow us to grow to the rest... but you know! If we got a deal with a corp client, we'd develop it for their systems and it's not out of the question, it's just that we have all the expertise in the education specific space now, and time wise, it'd take a considerable effort to switch. That said, I have a number of warm leads to chase on the corp side, and will always try and work any angle I can.

You are right though. And it'll come and be a specific part/ product we offer eventually.

Soldato
New website supposed to go live tonight as it was to be done at the same time as the new price list... but I've had to cover admin all month as they were on holiday so they're getting a massive bodge until I get time to do it properly.

9 weeks holiday to use up before Christmas, can't take it in October and no one will do any of my work if I do go away. Would rather most of it was paid off.

Soldato
Looks like this week will be one of those weeks ... me and my technical boss sat a couple of professional exams at the beginning of last month and he has a resit on the harder exam this week so will be stressed out preparing for that and wanting help to revise on top of everything else going on.

Combine that with upper management deciding that they would decide exactly what we will be working on rather than us deciding who's doing what ... which lasted all of 10mins before I had to write some code for something which I wasn't working (which overlaps with what I am dealing with). At the end of the day I'm currently (on paper at least) 400% utilised ... we need more staff more than anything (well we also need more engaged management, a change in reporting lines and and more time and training) but that won't happen.

/rant

Soldato
Spent the last 2.5 weeks doing something that at the start I suggested should be done a different way. But was overruled because it was only a small change. Which turned into 200 small changes that entirely changed the thing anyway. Only doing it as loads of small changes took 2.5 weeks instead of 1-2 days which is what starting from scratch would have taken.

Of course none of this is documented as the new IT project is run by people who don't document anything. I feel like I've time traveled back 20 yrs in my IT career. I asked for a spec for some other work and they just drew a box on a page and wrote spec on it. They handed that to me, and asked when would have it done. I said there was no need they'd just completed the project exactly to spec. Going to be a long year....

Back
Top Bottom