This Business and Moment...

Caporegime
Some news from me...

You all know I joined Microsoft in March as a third party contractor with the hopes of becoming FTE (full time employee) within 1 - 2 years, the average is around 18 months.

Well, whilst I was on honeymoon in June a position became available for a new FTE SCCM Engineer in our department...my manager knew I wanted to become FTE, so she recommended me for it! :eek: :D

I found this out when I got back a month ago. I just had confirmation I got the job. :D :D

What does this mean? Well, aside from being a record turn around to go from vendor to FTE this is also almost a 50% increase on my current salary, plus health insurance, gym allowance, and a few other perks.

Pretty god damn chuffed right now :)

For the background screening then working my notice from my other company I should be FTE around mid-sept :)

Man of Honour
Some news from me...

You all know I joined Microsoft in March as a third party contractor with the hopes of becoming FTE (full time employee) within 1 - 2 years, the average is around 18 months.

Well, whilst I was on honeymoon in June a position became available for a new FTE SCCM Engineer in our department...my manager knew I wanted to become FTE, so she recommended me for it! :eek: :D

I found this out when I got back a month ago. I just had confirmation I got the job. :D :D

What does this mean? Well, aside from being a record turn around to go from vendor to FTE this is also almost a 50% increase on my current salary, plus health insurance, gym allowance, and a few other perks.

For the background screening then working my notice from my other company I should be FTE around mid-sept :)
Result, congrats!

Soldato
As indecisive as anything at the moment. My project I'm running is 2 weeks away from practical completion and I'm just about daring to relax. Also starting to get sick as my body expels 8 months of constant stress, angst and tiredness. I have 3 weeks of annual leave and 'FU I'm taking another 2 weeks to make up for all those unpaid hours I done' type leave coming up. If I don't leave now, I'm being given a monster 24 million dollar project to start enabling works in mid November. That's pretty much another 12 months of my life gone. Been quietly interviewing on the side and offered a few jobs but it turns out the idea of easy street and boredom is just as unappetizing as burying myself in an avalanche of grief and work.

As I grow older I'm starting to get more convinced of two things. Firstly, we don't choose our careers, they choose us. And secondly, the Stockholm Syndrome also rings true in a professional capacity.

Man of Honour
Back at my desk... it feels nice. I love being away with family and that but I can't have this feeling of being more productive. I can't not work while I'm away, I always have too much to do.

On a side note, where I contract at Novartis, my wife has been trying to get an admin role here for ages (not because she loves admin, she loves making cakes and worked in the NHS for 8yrs before we moved over here, but because it's a solid wage for what you do!) but it's been impossible as it's like an old boys club, where, if you don't already have novartis experience they won't consider you. Unless that is, you know the hiring manager very well and can get around some of the BS. Luckily being here for eons has helped me get to know people and so I knew a hiring manager for an admin position and got my wife an interview. She interviewed there and got offered the job while we were in Portugal last week!
It's a 6 month contract on 37CHF (30GBP)p/h with hopeful chance of perm role at the end! Bonus! Now to get child care sorted for the kids...

TL;DR - wife got a job.

Luckily you don't live in Switzerland as childcare here costs about the same as your wife's wage per hour :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Had my last day in my current job today. Bittersweet in a way, I'm not sad to leave the job, department or organisation but I'll miss the people I've worked with for the past 28 months. Got some nice leaving presents which I was rather humbled by.

Starting the new job on the 22nd of August in Glasgow, still lots to do before then though!

Soldato
Luckily you don't live in Switzerland as childcare here costs about the same as your wife's wage per hour :p

Whats Switzerland like to work and live this days?

You may recalled my post from the start of the year about me moving from the UK to progress my IT career further and Switzerland has been recommended to me. Since then Ive earned my MCSA in Windows 10 and ITIL Foundation. Now studying for my Server 2016 which Im hoping to take my first exam end of September.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ha yes, it is. I know a lot of people who have their kids in swiss daycare and it's anywhere from 2500-5000 per kid per month. Mental.

Whats Switzerland like to work and live this days?

You may recalled my post from the start of the year about me moving from the UK to progress my IT career further and Switzerland has been recommended to me. Since then Ive earned my MCSA in Windows 10 and ITIL Foundation. Now studying for my Server 2016 which Im hoping to take my first exam end of September.

Money is still good, costs are higher. Nice quality of life though.

Soldato
OP
Wife went off to work this morning. I'm in the study and of the list of things she's left me to do, done none of them. BUT, I have finished off my Ryzen build, just need to install the OS now.
Might sort some more office things out today, too. May even get some work done... maybe...

Soldato
Ha yes, it is. I know a lot of people who have their kids in swiss daycare and it's anywhere from 2500-5000 per kid per month. Mental.

Money is still good, costs are higher. Nice quality of life though.

Thanks.

Interesting....well I have my prerequisite visit to Switzerland in 3 weeks. So it be nice to see.

Soldato
Some news from me...

Let's make sure we are both on the list for Vegas next July and we can do some damage!

Soldato
OP
Oh man, I want to do Vegas with you :p

Working from home day 3 of daddy daycare... I made them american pancakes for breakfast, then while my 3yr old did some painting, I did some too.

:D
20766181_109652943070901_7311646359277273088_n.jpg

Now trying to catch up on real work... apparently I'm supposed to clean and do all the house jobs as well as work from home according to my wife! :/

Soldato
OP
Haha I was considering this... we have a large open space of floor, but wasnt sure if they actually did anything like vacuum :p

Back on topic; I have been speaking to a Sales person, who would like to join us on commission only, heard from her last night and she's really keen so we're going to run a trial for 2 months until Oct and see what she can do. Should be good, I hope!

Back
Top Bottom