This drill..

Soldato
Shall I buy it? For an 18v cordless, Black n Decker,.. bargain? I've checked with Argos who tell me it does come with battery and charger.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-and...671228?hash=item51dc421cbc:g:VSEAAOSwWTRWvKlT

The only thing is it has a plastic chuck, I don't know how much of a problem that might be. Bear in mind, I will probably use it once in a blue moon, so it won't get a lot of usage.

These are answers about the chuck from amazon, where they're selling the same model for £50.

Question: Does it have a locking chuck? i.e can you lock the chuck with one hand?
Answer: No. The chuck twists to grip the drill and so I think it would be very difficult to lock it with one hand.

No, this is not a feature on this drill

Yes, it has a keyless chuck that can be locked by one hand

I think the plastic keyless chuck is the Achilles Heel of this drill. Mine gave way, whilst hand-tightening a 6mm masonry bit, rendering the drill useless. Luckily, Amazon replaced the drill without quibble.

It doesn't lock, especially on masonry bits. This drill is useless for drilling into bricks or concrete as there is no key to tighten the chuck. The bits constantly loosen. It is ok for wood.

Soldato
I picked this up last year from a B&Q sale, I've drilled into internal brick walls with it and it's ok for occasional DIY. For ~£40 it's fine, although you can obviously get better if you want to spend more.

Soldato
Lithium battery. Didn't realise that existed for drills

Has anyone got a drill with a Lithium battery in? Are they much lighter or longer lasting than the old sort?

(Just asking out of curiosity, not planning to replace my drill)

Soldato
I picked this up last year from a B&Q sale, I've drilled into internal brick walls with it and it's ok for occasional DIY. For ~£40 it's fine, although you can obviously get better if you want to spend more.

^ Same, although mine was £30.
I'm not a fan of keyless chucks, but they're all using it these days. I use it pretty often and it's been perfectly fine for me.

Associate
Lithium battery. Didn't realise that existed for drills

Has anyone got a drill with a Lithium battery in? Are they much lighter or longer lasting than the old sort?

(Just asking out of curiosity, not planning to replace my drill)

They tend to have a longer lifespan, they don't discharge anywhere near as fast if you leave them in a cupboard unused and have no 'memory effect' so leaving them half charged up isnt a problem and wont degrade the battery.

Soldato
OP
I'm also thinking of drilling into thinnish metal. Think it will handle it? I drilled through metal last night using my brother's black and decker 400w, but his is corded.

Sounds like the chuck is going to cause problems as soon as you drill in to something slightly hard?

Gets pretty good reviews on Amazon though (and is only £30) so might be alright just for wood etc.

That's an inferior model and not Lithium battery. This is the actual same model on amazon. EGBL188K

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BLACK-DECKE...548&sr=8-1&keywords=Black+and+Decker+EGBL188K

Lidl have a Parkside drill on sale from tomorrow for £39.99:

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-2491.htm?action=showDetail&id=31042

They seem to be really well regarded and it trumps the Black and Decker on most of the specs. Might be worth a look

That looks awesome. Anyone here can give a second opinion on Parkside?

Caporegime
I have a Parkside angle grinder, had it for a couple of years now. For the occasional job it's fine, haven't really given it proper abuse. The discs it came with were toss though.

Soldato
I have had a Parkside scroll saw, multitool and soldering iron. The scroll saw was ok, but the soldering iron and multitool were useless.

I guess for diy it could be ok and has a 3 year warranty if it does pack in, but personally i'd be looking at the green Bosch range if there is anything in budget.

Associate
I have had a Parkside scroll saw, multitool and soldering iron. The scroll saw was ok, but the soldering iron and multitool were useless.

I guess for diy it could be ok and has a 3 year warranty if it does pack in, but personally i'd be looking at the green Bosch range if there is anything in budget.

I'm not sure Bosch green would be much different to black and decker or parkside. The Bosch blues are another league altogether.

Soldato
I have the parkside jigsaw in the same range (18v Lithium Ion) and for the money and occasional use it's great.

On the flip side though I invested in a decent Bosch Professional (blue) combi drill and wouldn't consider going back to a budget drill now I have it.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have a bosch 10.8v pro impact drill and its probably much better in quality then the back & decker but mine also has a plastic chuck along with most drills you buy nowadays and I see no problem with it. Accept the black & deckers chuck is a tad small and you need 2 hands to loosen/tighten it up. One hand to stop the motor from spinning (as I dont think its got a brake on the motor) and the other hand to tighten/loosen the chuck.

Even that drill has a plastic chuck, and if he was going to spend £99 I would recommend him the Bosch 18v as the torque and speed are greater (the upgrade to my drill), but he doesn't want to spend a lot and the specs on the black & decker looks impressive for just over £40. No idea if it will perform aswel as it says on paper though.

The specs almost match my drill, look
Bosch GSB 10.8V
Image2.jpg

Black & Decker
Image2.jpg

Edit:
Lidl have a Parkside drill on sale from tomorrow for £39.99:

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-2491.htm?action=showDetail&id=31042

They seem to be really well regarded and it trumps the Black and Decker on most of the specs. Might be worth a look

But saying all that the Parkside on paper seem a much better drill and plus I think the motor has a brake so it will be much, much easier to tighten/loosen the chuck

Max no-load speed (rpm):
Gear 1: 440
Gear 2: 1,650
Impact rate (bpm): 26,400
Max. torque (Nm): 40
Max. chuck capacity (mm): 13
Max. drill diameters (mm): in wood 30, in brick 15, in steel 13

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I bought the parkside corded hammer drill when it was in Lidl a few weeks back and am very impressed with it for the price (£14.99)

Sounds promising then. I was chatting with some bloke in the shop as he was looking at the cordless too. He said he used to have a Parkside and thought it was a good drill. He didn't need one now as he has others but he said the single low capacity battery would put him off. For my usage though, I doubt it'll be an issue.

Sent the girlfriend in to pick me a drill and jigsaw up at lunch.

You going to be making holes while doing a puzzle then? :D
But thanks for the headsup on the Parkside, Wild9.

Guys, what do you think of this screwdriver and drill bit set? I know it's dirt cheap, but do you think they'd be ok or break instantly? It's got a nice selection of screwdriver bits though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/43-Piece-...048105?hash=item2eeb972a29:g:-vYAAOSwo3pWbzhk

Back
Top Bottom