This is getting ridiculous (energy prices - Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
A family of 4 and no dishwasher?? :O

Dishwasher is probably my favourite non essential appliance.
If mine died tomorrow I'd have a new one in by weeks end.

Cannot believe the time it saves

And there's only 2 of us
In have a wife, no dish washer required

Commissario
If a household of 2 deems a dishwasher essential, no wonder there's an energy crisis, that is the epitome of laziness.
Or of people who either don't have the time, or ability to spend the time washing them u.

My parents got their first dishwasher back when they were an "expensive" item in the 80's and most people didn't have one, the reason was fairly simple, my mother couldn't stand at the sink to wash the dishes without pain and my father was working long alternating shifts (IIRC 12 hours with about an hour of commute either way).

An awful lot of "energy waste" and "luxury" especially for those on "low incomes" is not due to choice, but necessity or not having another realistic choice.

There is also the element that the difference between washing by hand, and using a dishwasher is marginal in many cases when it comes to energy usage.

Soldato
pertinantly tv programme today sampling newer solar panel technologies
panels working more efficiently in different wavelengths, rollable panels(like blinds), toroidal type design if you have a big garden.
Could Solar Solve the Energy Crisis?
Yes, they could very easily supply enough power to power the entire country.

Unfortunately, the national grids connections are substantially limited.

Solar parks are queuing up to get connections to the grid, upwards of a few hundred are waiting. Planning permission granted. But need that all important connection to the grid, which may be a decade away from being supplied if at all.

It's a real shame.

Also, a big issue with solar and wind, is that the energy they produce is not exactly clean. Its full of harmonic distortion which is a real headache for the grid.

Man of Honour
We have zero room for a dishwasher in our two bed house and wash up after every meal? It doesn't take that long and not that hard to do. Don't think I'll ever own a dishwasher tbh.

Each to their own. As I said previously, We're a busy household of 4 it gives us a tremendous amount of time back and ultimately isn't all that inefficient if you offset the hot water requirements and so on. Plus in my experience the dishwasher cleans far better than handwashing.

Anyway this is a little off topic. If you had said you've got a dishwasher but you're reverting to hand washing then that would be more relevant.

Caporegime
So you don't use any washing up liquid either?
I rinse item under running hot water.
Wet scrubbing pad with hot water, apply fairy liquid, scrub plate clean.
Rinse plate, put it on the side to dry.

reapply washing up liquid as needed.

I can assure you everything is spotless and perfectly clean, I've had partners compliment that I got glasses etc to be more shiny than the dish washer.

before you come out with but not soaking the plates in hot water won't kill bacteria, the water wouldn't be hot enough to kill all the bacteria anyway, also I don't leave the plates sitting covered in crap I always wash them ASAP.

whenever a partner is cooking I've always been there asking are they finished with this yet? and just wash it straight away..

only time I really felt the need to use the dishwasher was when we had family come around and there would have been a full dishwasher load anyway.

2adults+2 kids used so less stuff I'd rather just get it done than wait 3-4 days for a dish washer to be full.

if you want to use a dish washer than go ahead, I don't really see the point in most cases

loading and unloading the dishwasher probably takes as much time as it would to have just washed them, and I'm assuming most people pre rinse anyway before they put stuff in the dish washer.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
I rinse item under running hot water.
Wet scrubbing pad with hot water, apply fairy liquid, scrub plate clean.
Rinse plate, put it on the side to dry.

reapply washing up liquid as needed.

I can assure you everything is spotless and perfectly clean, I've had partners compliment that I got glasses etc to be more shiny than the dish washer.

before you come out with but not soaking the plates in hot water won't kill bacteria, the water wouldn't be hot enough to kill all the bacteria anyway, also I don't leave the plates sitting covered in crap I always wash them ASAP.

whenever a partner is cooking I've always been there asking are they finished with this yet? and just wash it straight away..

only time I really felt the need to use the dishwasher was when we had family come around and there would have been a full dishwasher load anyway.

2adults+2 kids used so less stuff I'd rather just get it done than wait 3-4 days for a dish washer to be full.

if you want to use a dish washer than go ahead, I don't really see the point in most cases.

Nah, i aint go time for that malarky in this day and age, life is for living if you enjoy standing being a sink have at, I will just buy more plates or heavens behold.... put the dishwasher on when its not even half full. OMG shut the front door.

Caporegime
Nah, i aint go time for that malarky in this day and age, life is for living if you enjoy standing being a sink have at, I will just buy more plates or heavens behold.... put the dishwasher on when its not even half full. OMG shut the front door.
just buy paper plates

Soldato
have the dishwasher disciples measured the actual energy consumption, to see if it is on spec ,
... like the pre-eu reg. 2KW vacuum we have it consumes more if it is clogged ? did boris noiw give us back the right to effective vacuums ... we don't love dyson anymore anyway.

Dishwasher cleaned regular drinking glasses , & plates, a bit, always seem to have an annoying grippy(high friction) feel - alkali from soap ?
not sure if todays influencers have done a training tik-tok video on hand washing-up.

Also, a big issue with solar and wind, is that the energy they produce is not exactly clean. Its full of harmonic distortion which is a real headache for the grid.
yes I'd watched an interesting related video, and wondered if the guy down the street feeding into the grid , would be making my appliaces run inefficiently, polluting my energy.

The Firm Frequency Response FFR Market

I've never been to someone who has the "I can clean better than a dishwasher" attitude and not thought everything seemed greasy. Honestly once you've gone dishwasher you can never go back.
I also cannot disagree more with the it only takes the same time, clearly again someone who has never been in the position to use one properly, or never really cooks.

Xmas dinner being prime example. We typically use enough pans, plates etc to take 2x dishwasher loads. Thats proper full loads.
Around 10 years ago we were in a temporary rented place over xmas with no dishwasher. It took us an hour to do all that by hand.
2 dishwasher loads takes about 2x5 minutes to load and unload. Oh and thats 1 person, the washing up marathon was around 1.5 people, one permanently washing and the other drying around 50% of the time.

I suspect its probably slightly more expensive to run the dishwasher than using the gas heated water (although that will be reduced with the gas now being 3x as expensive and elec "only" 2x)

The only real negative i can see is that you need significantly more utensils, mugs, plates etc with a dishwasher than without.

Back
Top Bottom