This is getting ridiculous (energy prices - Strictly NO referrals!)

Associate
After getting blanked on my 3rd request for a home mini I prodded Octopus on Twitter.

Seems the smets 1 meter I have isn't supported by the OHM, so no real time stats for me :(

Seemingly they are working on compatibility so have asked to be notified if they figure it out...

Soldato
After getting blanked on my 3rd request for a home mini I prodded Octopus on Twitter.

Seems the smets 1 meter I have isn't supported by the OHM, so no real time stats for me :(

Seemingly they are working on compatibility so have asked to be notified if they figure it out...
Demand they replace them with smets2. Don't take no for an answer and threaten ombudsman action (worked at multiple energy providers this is the only way to get things done as they are fined when a customer contact the ombudsman). Start the process by phoning, asking the question as your current system is not compatible, they will say no, open a formal complaint and start further action and threats.

They will say they are charged for removing working smart meters (assuming your smets1 is actually giving readings back to them). But it's not working fully as its not compatible with certain features (the mini). They will also drone on about the system being updated eventually and compatibility updates but that's been going on for years, it's never going to happen, smets1 meters are garbage, it was a failed roll out when they first came out.

Just have to be very stern with them

It might be a long process but they will eventually give in. You have to go through the complaint process before approaching the ombudsman, they know that so they will drag it out, do not give in.

These types of customers where so anoyying to deal with but you have rights you need to make very clear to them.

I'd just say don't be nasty to the agent it's not their fault as they are instructed to point blank say no and fob you off. Just politely ask them to sort it and start the complaint process. If needed ask for a manager and DO NOT accept a call back, it won't happen, stay on the the line and make it clear you know your rights and the conciquences if they do not comply.

Don't be surprised if you get a few hang ups, I certainly hung up customers in my time as its a real pain dealing with complaints that won't go away and we'd do anything to not have to deal with it (technical problems sorry!). Scummy yes, but call centres do things to you! I salute people who can stay in them for long periods without going crazy.

Sounds harsh but they will do anything to not replace them as they do get charged if the meters are reporting readings back

The agent you get will hate you as they will be stuck with you throughout the complaint process and it looks bad on them having complaints outstanding on their profile. Not your problem though you want the level of service other users get.

Sorry to anyone here who works at an energy company on the phones :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Soldato
I’m not sure you have any ‘rights’ in relation to a home mini, it’s an optional extra that octopus have developed and there is no requirement that they send you one.

A V1 smart meter that works, meets the required specification.

In other words, it seems like a waste of time. All the mini does is push information you can get from your IDH into the octopus app. That’s literally all it does for the end consumer.

Of course it gives Octopus a ton of data which is why they are giving them out for free - it’s not really free as in this case, your data is the product.

Edit: to add, unnecessary meter changes pushes up everyone’s bill via the standing charge. It’s not free…

Last edited:
ive got a smets 1 gas meter that stops reporting every few weeks so i dont get bills for it
when i do get a bill i make a compaint about it, get a bit of credit and have a working meter again for a couple of weeks
im fed up of this and just really want a working meter, what do i have to say to them to get them to replace it
as in past they do somthing to it and it works again for a little while

Soldato
ive got a smets 1 gas meter that stops reporting every few weeks so i dont get bills for it
when i do get a bill i make a compaint about it, get a bit of credit and have a working meter again for a couple of weeks
im fed up of this and just really want a working meter, what do i have to say to them to get them to replace it
as in past they do somthing to it and it works again for a little while
What's the credit you get? How much do you get paid per hour at work after tax? Id do the maths first :D. I made like 200 quid out of EON by complaining. The guy I was dealing with was a bit dense tho.

Soldato
I’m likely to be moving soon. The house has an old smart meter but it’s pre payment. Is it a different meter for post payment? Would it be easy to get the meter replaced. I’d prefer a newer meter as I’ll be getting a EV charger installed.
Are you sure it's prepay? Mine is a smart meter but certain screens on it; youd swear it was prepaid.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
My SMETS2 has meter has fallen off the network and the engineer couldn't get it to reconnect. Currently trying to get Octopus to replace it....

Soldato
Having a blast today wasting energy :D got a 11am to 4pm window where octopus are paying to consume, so full steam ahead to max out my usage.
Likewise, although my negative ends at 1530 :D charging car, about to run dehumidifier etc. House currently drawing 7.5kW according to the Octopus app.

It does bring up the question about "wasting energy" though. I need a bit of charge in the car, and I was going to use the dehumidifier energy so it's not like I'm doing this load for no reason. In general we should be looking to reduce energy usage so we shouldn't just be loading up the grid just because we're in negative pricing. On the flip side, however, we're in negative pricing because that's cheaper than turning off wind turbines and so more load on the grid helps... where's the good balance?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Hmmm tempted to fix..

Your fixed tariff is coming to an end on 28th July 2024.

YOUR TARIFF
Loyal Octopus 12M Fixed
Loyal Octopus 12M Fixed July 2023 v1
Ending 28/07/2024

DAY RATE NIGHT RATE
36.17 p/kWh 15.31 p/kWh
STANDING CHARGE
45.66p/day

Fixed
Tariff cost breakdown
⚡ Electricity
Daily standing charge 55.34p /day