This is getting ridiculous (energy prices - Strictly NO referrals!)

Man of Honour
As I will be picking up my Nissan Leaf on Saturday it will be time to take the electricity off the tracker and switch to the Intelligent Go tariff so I can charge at 7.5p per unit. Normal rate is higher at 27.61p per unit but the tracker has been creeping up lately anyway and is just under 22p per unit today so it's only 5.6p per unit more expensive and I can move the washing over to the night rate. Does anybody know how long it will take to switch over from the Tracker to Intelligent Go or is it a case of phone them up and they do it there and then?

Soldato
As I will be picking up my Nissan Leaf on Saturday it will be time to take the electricity off the tracker and switch to the Intelligent Go tariff so I can charge at 7.5p per unit. Normal rate is higher at 27.61p per unit but the tracker has been creeping up lately anyway and is just under 22p per unit today so it's only 5.6p per unit more expensive and I can move the washing over to the night rate. Does anybody know how long it will take to switch over from the Tracker to Intelligent Go or is it a case of phone them up and they do it there and then?

You need to do the switch yourself I think and you need kit that works with it, as it must do the test charge etc to switch you over.

Soldato
Currently with octopus and possibly moving out end of the month or in July. Can I tell them I want to cancel and then sign up with my partner's name and use a friend's referral?

I'm assuming tariff will be the same if I transfer over to new property compared to signing up new? Hope that made sense.

Soldato
If I was you I'd just end your current one and then just sign up in your partners name alone on new one.

You can get referred again that way I think. Though you probably can't refer yourself as your would not have a running account anymore.

Soldato
My Fix is coming to an end in a few weeks (just had reminder) Currently paying:

Elec - 29.36/kWh, 55.64p SC
Gas - 7.34p/kWh, 23.08p SC

Can fix these for 12 or 24 months:

12 Months:
Elec - 23.90/kWh, 63.31p SC
Gas - 5.88p/kWh, 31.65p SC

12 Months:
Elec - 24.92/kWh, 63.31p SC
Gas - 6.12p/kWh, 31.65p SC

Given my low usage (1,166 kWh Elec & 2,880kWh Gas), I am considering the 24 month option simply due to the fact the SC has risen so much (Elec +14%, Gas +37%)

I still cant get why the SC has risen so much (particularly Gas) - The cynic in me is that its to offset the lower unit charge, given that both Elec & Gas have reduced by 20%, yet my monthly payment remains almost the same :cry:

Nearly £30/month before anything used :o

Associate

It's quick to move. You'll need a compatiblke car charger. I've a leaf and use IOG via my charger - a Zappi.

Caporegime
If you're on standard variable do you think it's worth fixing now?

1st july onwards, price due to come down

The price cap, which sets a maximum rate per unit that can be charged to customers for their energy use, will fall by 7% from 1 July to 30 September 2024, compared to the previous quarter.

Last edited:
Soldato
1st july onwards, price due to come down

The price cap, which sets a maximum rate per unit that can be charged to customers for their energy use, will fall by 7% from 1 July to 30 September 2024, compared to the previous quarter.

Notice the similarities on the electricity and gas graphs? Countries not using gas stations for electric have had much cheaper electric during this period.

Brazil using lots of hydro based energy.

--

Notice agile has been having a little bit of not so good lately due to no wind, extra fiver on bill issued 23rd June, about an extra 8%. Although my usage crept up a bit as well, not worked out the % for that.

Looking at octopus compare data, Agile is still cheaper than Tracker on my last month's usage. Also average unit rate (although my average will be lower paid will be lower) still a clear advantage over fixed/SVR as well. (tracker was cheaper 5 days out of the month)

Last edited:
Soldato
Notice the similarities on the electricity and gas graphs? Countries not using gas stations for electric have had much cheaper electric during this period.

There is much more nuance to it than that, the UK's electricity pricing is tied to the marginal price which is usually gas (this didn't always used to be the case). If it was tied to the average price it would be much lower. However due to the very complex way the contracts work, some producers are only guaranteed a certain price which is often lower than the marginal rate and they have to pay back the difference.

Its very difficult to compare electricity prices to other countries because their utilities are often set up very differently. An example people often cite is France, but their energy pricing is heavily subsidised by the state (aka tax payers in France) and their overseas operations (e.g. all EDF's operations in the UK, both retail and their generation businesses like Hinkley point C).

Gas is now one of the most expensive forms of generation, Nuclear is the other. We all like to have a moan about how expensive it is but in reality we haven't had much choice up until now where wind and solar make more sense for new generation on the wholesale market. If only we could convince the NIMBY's to allow it to actually be built, they are even campaigning against off shore, let alone on shore. We just can't win.

Last edited:
Soldato
Notice agile has been having a little bit of not so good lately due to no wind, extra fiver on bill issued 23rd June, about an extra 8%. Although my usage crept up a bit as well, not worked out the % for that.
Potentially dumb question but are the agile leccy rates we're seeing now where we have loads of sun but no wind indicative of what we'll have in winter when we'll have the opposite?

Soldato
There is much more nuance to it than that, the UK's electricity pricing is tied to the marginal price which is usually gas (this didn't always used to be the case). If it was tied to the average price it would be much lower. However due to the very complex way the contracts work, some producers are only guaranteed a certain price which is often lower than the marginal rate and they have to pay back the difference.

Its very difficult to compare electricity prices to other countries because their utilities are often set up very differently. An example people often cite is France, but their energy pricing is heavily subsidised by the state (aka tax payers in France) and their overseas operations (e.g. all EDF's operations in the UK, both retail and their generation businesses like Hinkley point C).

Gas is now one of the most expensive forms of generation, Nuclear is the other. We all like to have a moan about how expensive it is but in reality we haven't had much choice up until now where wind and solar make more sense for new generation on the wholesale market. If only we could convince the NIMBY's to allow it to actually be built, they are even campaigning against off shore, let alone on shore. We just can't win.
Just ignore the nimby's make a new law that bypasses them, stating infrastructure important to the country has a streamlined approval process.

I am curious why we dont have some hydro as well, we are surrounded by water.

Soldato
Potentially dumb question but are the agile leccy rates we're seeing now where we have loads of sun but no wind indicative of what we'll have in winter when we'll have the opposite?
In last couple of winters I think we have had periods of cheaper off peak if I remember right, of course winter has the problem where gas is under higher demand for heating purposes which will keep peak prices the same.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom