This is getting ridiculous (energy prices - Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
is it a genuine deal or another error by british gas , as discussed earlier where they had opened up a fixed deal from a year ago to 'allow' people to now join mid-term ,
they seem to be notorious for errors if you look at mse forum
look on mse british gas renewal thread - other people had received the same it's believed to be an error / a gift horse.- it's forum is like hotuk for energy.

Soldato
I also tested it and even posted the official iplayer documentation.

Country region is 720p, any other regions its lower. This is for the web iplayer.

If we're talking about the minimal subset of BBC output that is regional programming - the local news - on for 30mins ? thats only available in SD on freeview 720x576,
and OK I conceed comes out at 960x540 on iplayer. eg https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001727k/look-east-lunchtime-news-02052022
I missed the word web, I use the app on my tv which is 1080 apart from the regional news which is rubbish but thats the same on freeview.

Watching on pc is usually a worse experience with all the streaming services though, not just iplayer.

Soldato
British Gas are rubbish, I can't make any sense of my account with them. None of my bills are available to view, they don't offer a simple option to just pay for the energy you've used via DD (I don't care about fixed payments or "peace of mind"), and despite my current monthly DD amount exceeding my current monthly energy cost and my account apparently being in credit somehow, they're desperate to triple the DD amount anyway.

Unfortunately it seems like changing providers is largely impossible unless you're going onto an even more expensive fixed rate tariff.

Soldato
British Gas are rubbish, I can't make any sense of my account with them. None of my bills are available to view, they don't offer a simple option to just pay for the energy you've used via DD (I don't care about fixed payments or "peace of mind"), and despite my current monthly DD amount exceeding my current monthly energy cost and my account apparently being in credit somehow, they're desperate to triple the DD amount anyway.

Unfortunately it seems like changing providers is largely impossible unless you're going onto an even more expensive fixed rate tariff.
Do BG not offer a Direct Debit Whole Amount Option like many other suppliers? you usually have to call to go onto it.
I dont understand why anyone pays a set amount per month, pay for your exact usage and you can avoid issues.

Last edited:
Soldato
British Gas i just got my first bill been with them 5 months my opening reading was not correct on my bill so overcharged 30 quid :eek:
Refund of 70 on it's way back to me 60 can stay on my balance as long as they do not put my payments unill oct

Soldato
HomeEnergy Secure May 2023?

No it wasn't that one, I think it's only available to existing customers, can't login to my account to check the name of the tariff!

Yes they are, only with them as appointed as SOLR.

You can pay variable/whole amount direct debit, go on live chat and request it.

Do BG not offer a Direct Debit Whole Amount Option like many other suppliers? you usually have to call to go onto it.
Yes they do. I did so by using live chat.

Soldato
Yes they do. I did so by using live chat.
It baffles me why anyone even pays by a fixed amount anymore, you are just opening yourself up to errors and being overcharged (overcharged in the sense that you are paying for fuel you haven't used yet in the summer period)
Just pay for what you use by DD and keep things simple, provide your readings each month to keep things up to date also even if you have a SM.

Soldato
my Scottish power fix (elec only) has just finished but entered my 2021 kwh usage onto uswitch with the new standard tariff but nothing comes close to beating it ,reckon it works out about 8 quid week more ,i do have a few habits i could change like not having the old plasma on just for background ,or getting a meal out of the freezer before work rather than microwave after work.
As regards paying monthly i find for me its pretty accurate and works well ,you can adjust dd,s online or make an extra payment but never had to apart from now

Soldato
So why should I have to pay twice?
BBC can still make programs and sell to whoever. Maybe they will need to wind down all the hanger-ons.
no ones paying twice - the financing of the original production was based on showing it to both a bbc license paying audience and netflix audience contribution -

as is discussed, only reproach is, you could argue that bbc license payer should have free access to legacy material in perpetuity - rather than reselling via britbox.
(when is that service going down ? they wasted money on topical spitting image that will have no value on freeview now... they're advertising their own diy bridgerton too)

The woke BBC 3 content though - like noughts and crosses they are now pushing - trying to win back the 16-34 demographic, to the detriment of content/budget for the legacy audience,
they are lost to netflix(WokeFlix?) get over it.

Caporegime
No wonder sales of dinitrophenol are going up, people must be consuming it to stay warm in winter, who would have thought that a diet pill would be a way to save on energy bills!

Associate
I see it now, "UK adopts seal warming technique 6 months of the year, putting on a blubber layer via consuming £1000 worth of Domino's per month, which at current prices is still cheaper than turning on the heating"

Associate
Decided to make some changes on April 1st to try countering the price increases we usually use 11 kWh a day and the result was down to 6 kWh a day.

For this period, your average usage was
6 kWh/day or £ 2.13/day
Last year, in the same period, your average usage was
11 kWh/day

Washing machine down from 8 washes to 5 a week / reusing bath towels a few times etc.
Tumble dryer down from 3 times a week to 0 / washing line or hang dry in the house depending on weather.
Kettle filled for what’s needed rather than over filling.
Main Pc only on for 10hrs a day rather than being left on 18hrs monitors to standby after 5 minutes.
All electrical sockets extension leads reconfigured so no wasted standby power draw / e.g. network drive backup drives printer etc now on own socket + switched extension so only powered on individually when needed same for TV surround sound system and blu-ray player.
Smart plugs for hard to reach PC & TV sockets so power killed when off.
Hovering down from 4 times a week to 2 times the wife was pleased.
Rechargeable LED sensor strip lights for Kitchen & Hall at night.

So more than offset the price increase and really pleased.

Last edited:
Soldato
Decided to make some changes on April 1st to try countering the price increases we usually use 11 kWh a day and the result was down to 6 kWh a day.

6 kWh/day or £ 2.13/day
11 kWh/day

Washing machine down from 8 washes to 5 a week / reusing bath towels a few times etc.
Tumble dryer down from 3 times a week to 0 / washing line or hang dry in the house depending on weather.
Main Pc only on for 10hrs a day rather than being left on 18hrs monitors to standby after 5 minutes.
All electrical sockets extension leads reconfigured so no wasted standby power draw / e.g. network drive backup drives printer etc now on own socket + switched extension so only powered on individually when needed same for TV surround sound system and blu-ray player.

But thats just common sense stuff (apart from hovering, who has time for more than once a week:confused::cry::p). I'm not going down the route of turning standby stuff off as it's not worth it. My idle power draw is now 75W or 175W if the fridge kicks in. Not too bad, but even watching TV takes that upto around 400W (with amp running).

Soldato

6 kWh/day or £ 2.13/day
11 kWh/day

Well done, the biggest factor will likely be the tumble dryer. Problem will be come winter when you can't hang stuff outside and you don't want washing all over the house.

Caporegime
When I hear people do washing machine washes 8 times a week I understand why people are in trouble.
I think we do 2-3 at most?

I assume a lot of tumbles result from so many washes too?

Back
Top Bottom