This is getting ridiculous (energy prices - Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
Tell me about it, I have literally no idea at all how someone uses so many clothing items in a single day, anyone would think he is a catwalk model :) I suspect its mostly down to the fact that any fabric item which resides in his room for more than say....3 minutes, ends up reeking of a certain plant based product, meaning he has to clean them all over again
Sounds like it's time for someone to start paying his own electricity bill :p. If he finds enough money to work on giving himself schizophrenia all day then he's got enough money to pay for his electricity bill in my books!

Man of Honour
Sounds like it's time for someone to start paying his own electricity bill :p. If he finds enough money to work on giving himself schizophrenia all day then he's got enough money to pay for his electricity bill in my books!

Which is why I am looking forward to the shock he will encounter when he moves out this summer and has to pay/run his own place. He, like many young people, lives in cloud cuckoo land where everything is rainbows and balloons and life is easy and he wont fall into the same pitfalls as his parents etc etc etc. I am already prepared with many "welcome to the real world" speeches :D

Soldato
Not sure what charts you were looking at. 40p per litre was more money than the historic low of 20.97 on 1st May but prices were driven downwards due to covid. Prior to covid they had been between 45p and 60p per litre for years. I would have brimmed it at 40p per litre.

Even back in 2011 it was 60p per litre.
Yeah, I definitely didn't look back far enough! Without a smart gauge on my tank, it's very hard to know how the cost of my oil boiler compares to a gas one. I assumed 60p was in line with the new high gas prices, and 40p closer to what gas was 6 months ago. But if oil was at 60p a decade ago, maybe it's due to rise even more? (please god no)

Caporegime
Which is why I am looking forward to the shock he will encounter when he moves out this summer and has to pay/run his own place. He, like many young people, lives in cloud cuckoo land where everything is rainbows and balloons and life is easy and he wont fall into the same pitfalls as his parents etc etc etc. I am already prepared with many "welcome to the real world" speeches :D

I must admit that it took me over 20 years to be as well off as when I was living my parents aged 21 in a full time job. I paid £25 per week to my mum and dad for my accommodation, all my food and my washing done. Had around £600 per month disposable income in 1990. Lived a lavish lifestyle. Then met a girl, moved in with her and then 2 year later bought a house together. Was poor then. lol

Caporegime
Yeah, I definitely didn't look back far enough! Without a smart gauge on my tank, it's very hard to know how the cost of my oil boiler compares to a gas one. I assumed 60p was in line with the new high gas prices, and 40p closer to what gas was 6 months ago. But if oil was at 60p a decade ago, maybe it's due to rise even more? (please god no)

60p 10 years ago means even today its cheaper adjusted for inflation, than what it used to be so its relatively cheap still compared to the increases people are seeing in electric and gas prices (thank god)

Worst i ever paid was during the beast from the east when it was in short supply and managed to get a delivery at 85p per litre which hurt.

I think in 2000 we were paying around 28p per litre when we first moved into the house.

Man of Honour
Why are you not doing something about this before he moves out?

Its complicated and would require an entire thread of its own to explain the complexities of my life and relationship, suffice to say he's my other halves kid and they are a stupendously weak parent who will not tolerate a bad word said about their kid.

Soldato
I have no idea how this won't lead to the beginning of civil unrest. How the **** are people supposed to survive like this, and how bad does it get?

Never mind the economic stagnation when nobody is buying goods anymore and can only afford necessities, will just make everything worse.

Is this the roaring 20s they told us about?

Associate
Its complicated and would require an entire thread of its own to explain the complexities of my life and relationship, suffice to say he's my other halves kid and they are a stupendously weak parent who will not tolerate a bad word said about their kid.

Probably means you'll end up bailing him out repeatedly when he moves out rather than getting to give any 'welcome to the real world' speeches :p

Man of Honour
Probably means you'll end up bailing him out repeatedly when he moves out rather than getting to give any 'welcome to the real world' speeches :p

Hehe, not me, I'm not bailing him out, he can learn about life the hard way. He needs a shock to the system to bring his head out of the clouds

Caporegime
I have no idea how this won't lead to the beginning of civil unrest. How the **** are people supposed to survive like this, and how bad does it get?

Never mind the economic stagnation when nobody is buying goods anymore and can only afford necessities, will just make everything worse.

Is this the roaring 20s they told us about?

Thats what worries me. At work we have had a discussion that this country is in a recession but it doesnt know it is yet. We think once all the price increases and interest rate rises bite by summer then the majority of peoples disposable income will vanish and the economy will plummet.

Already the number of businesses going bust is rising dramatically as they cant handle the price increases/shortage of labour.

I can see this being the worst recession of my life.

Associate
We're in the process of having a multifuel stove fitted in our front room, obviously the initial cost of having the stove put in is a fair cost, but I feel much happier about paying for wood / bricketts than the crazy fuel prices that will hit next winter.
My direct debit this year has gone up from a £89 a month up to £140 it's crazy.
I thought it was a load of bull when it was first reported that people were choosing between food and heating but now I see it.

Soldato
We're in the process of having a multifuel stove fitted in our front room, obviously the initial cost of having the stove put in is a fair cost, but I feel much happier about paying for wood / bricketts than the crazy fuel prices that will hit next winter.
My direct debit this year has gone up from a £89 a month up to £140 it's crazy.
I thought it was a load of bull when it was first reported that people were choosing between food and heating but now I see it.

Are they actually cheaper to run? I thought it was more a choice / aesthetic thing rather than money saving.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom