This is getting ridiculous (energy prices - Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
My mum's usage is similar, its mainly that she doesn't have any gadgets. So her main use is a fridge/frezer that is under a couple of years old so good efficiency and a TV. Washing machine/dish washer are also under two years old but only used once or twice a week.

Her gas bill on the other hand is high at 20,000kWh a year on average despite it being a modern well insulated bungalow it's the cost of keeping it at 21c 07:00 to 21:00. Still better than her old 1890s house that was hitting 60,000kWh a year :eek:

Last edited:
Soldato
I find it hilarious when people berate others as wasteful as to why they have high bills.

I think some of you forget not everyone’s house or flat is built the same. Some people can’t afford to make their property efficient, buy efficient products etc etc.

There are so many factors. A lot of people are not wasteful in this regard yet their bills will still be high.

Soldato
I find it hilarious when people berate others as wasteful as to why they have high bills.

I think some of you forget not everyone’s house or flat is built the same. Some people can’t afford to make their property efficient, buy efficient products etc etc.

There are so many factors. A lot of people are not wasteful in this regard yet their bills will still be high.
Given the difficulties of getting on the property ladder, the biggest issue is probably it's not their property or responsibility to make it efficient if they're renting

Soldato
yeah there's gas too ofc, was only asking about leccy coz the number is surprising when compared to mine
the number came from the bill, I do know she's very frugal so no reason to doubt it

Last edited:
Soldato

Very true, but luckily I have found portable induction hobs for sale, so can get round the fixed solid plate hobs my LL installed. Need to get round to ordering them, also havent used the fixed oven for several months now.

Soldato
Per month? We’re in a poorly insulated 4 bed detached and I have a lot of electrical stuff - 245kWh per month!
Electric Shower uses loads, as do two heated aquariums. My PC has used 2.7kwh today alone, one of the aquariums used another 1.7kwh, TV used 1.1kwh.

19th of July we used 38kwh in 1 day due to the A/C being on full for 24h straight.

Last edited:
Soldato

Some people dont have desktop pc

Soldato
I submitted a couple of readings to Octopus last week. Our gas usage is insanely low - from 25 Aug to 13 Sep we used just under 57kWh of gas; total bill was £9.61 of which £5.18 was standing charge :o

That's for two of us, both showering every day (and having a shower that needs to run for over a minute before the hot water gets over to that corner of the house), doing dishes by hand etc. I'd go as far as to say it seems suspiciously low, but I've triple-checked the meter readings and they match.

Soldato
I noticed my balance with Octopus was minus £135. My direct debit of £100 has just gone in, so I expected my balance would change to minus £35. It's zero? What happend to the £35 :confused:

Back
Top Bottom