This is getting ridiculous (energy prices - Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
The main extra cost of heat pump tumble driers and long eco wash setting on you washing machine is the wear and tear of your clothes.
As washing tend to account for up to 90% of wear and tear on clothes, the longer you take washing and tumbling, the lower amount of washes it takes before the clothes become unwearable.

Problem is the eco warriors don't factor this in. Clothing production is a major environmental concern too. :D
So if you had a fully renewable source of power, the fast non eco washing/drying would be better. :)
indeed. it is something I had wondered about as well but not seen any studies done.. Its not an issue for us. my wife and I don't put our clothes in it (just towels and bedding which still last for years) and the lads clothes get outgrown and ruined before they get time to be worn out.

Soldato
The main extra cost of heat pump tumble driers and long eco wash setting on you washing machine is the wear and tear of your clothes.
As washing tend to account for up to 90% of wear and tear on clothes, the longer you take washing and tumbling, the lower amount of washes it takes before the clothes become unwearable.

Problem is the eco warriors don't factor this in. Clothing production is a major environmental concern too. :D
So if you had a fully renewable source of power, the fast non eco washing/drying would be better. :)
Heat pump driers are a lot kinder on the clothes.

Moreover, since it uses an energy efficient heat exchange system, the air temperature inside the drum is considerably lower than conventional dryers, which provides a better protection for clothes.

Last edited:
Soldato
Use a sniff test on clothes and hang them up each evening. Underwear I change daily, shirts two or three times a week, trousers once a week. Unless you get very sweaty, it is better to have a lukewarm or cool underarms and body sink wash twice a day than wash and dry different clothes every day.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm keen to be educated differently here but I don't see how, even with a family of 4, people have the washing machine on 6 or more times a week (unless it's a tiny tiny machine)

Bedding, towels, school uniforms, pe kits there will be a lot of washing. The younger the children the dirtier they get ;)

Soldato
I'm keen to be educated differently here but I don't see how, even with a family of 4, people have the washing machine on 6 or more times a week (unless it's a tiny tiny machine)
1 load per person, plus towels and bedding.

Depends on the age of the kids but not hard to reach 6 loads a week

Soldato
Apparently the average usage is under 10 kWh a day, about 2900 a year.

Yours isnt high based on that and your mum's really low. :)
We have cut down around 20-30% on our electric usage and we are currently around 100kwh a week,. What size solar system would negate this usage, let's pretend I have the roof space to accommodate it.

Don
- towels one load
- adult bedding one load
- kids bedding (combined) one load
- whites (school shirts) one load
- then two loads for remaining dark laundry, uniforms, sportswear etc.

Washing towels and bedding less than once per week is skanky (especially for a sexual active married couple)

Soldato
- towels one load
- adult bedding one load

Washing towels and bedding less than once per week is skanky (especially for a sexual active married couple)

Perhaps I just have a bigger machine (9kg) then... I can get bedding and towels in the one load (I could get a few towels plus bedding in there) Also, I don't separate darks from whites. It all goes in the one load and I've never had an issue.

Towels/Bedding - I know of someone who uses 2 towels every shower and then doesn't use them again until they have been washed.... How dirty can a towel get off a clean body used once? :confused:

If you haven't got a full load in your machine (emergency washes aside) then it's kinda daft putting it on.

Soldato
Can easily get 2-3 uses out of a single towel, you use it to dry yourself after your already CLEAN, how dirty can it actually get? I just hang the towel over the banister for it to dry off. Doesn't even get that wet anyway.

Last edited:
Associate
- towels one load
- adult bedding one load

That's what swallowing is for. Don't blast it over the bedding.

Back
Top Bottom