This is getting ridiculous (energy prices - Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
By 2030 grid scale battery storage will be cheaper than hydro, and in another 5 grid-scale hydrogen storage. About 10-15 years before the first of the new nuclear power stations could come on line.

Nuclear is dead. The stations should have been builts 20 years but it is too late now. An entirely green renewable energy future will happen far quicer and far cheaper.

Nuclear is absolutely the last thing we need right now. It doesn't solve any problem with the energy crisis, will just burn through billions and billions before the projects are scrapped as renewable energy will be literally 100x cheaper than nuclear.

If the government wsnted tp they could help fast track massive wind generation and battery storage to be in place by next winter.

No.

Soldato
I just don't understand why the government aren't doing more to encourage people to have solar fitted.

Would be prime for utility suppliers to offer a all inclusive option. One bill for utilities and including solar on your roof in that monthly bill.

Soldato
By 2030 grid scale battery storage will be cheaper than hydro, and in another 5 grid-scale hydrogen storage. About 10-15 years before the first of the new nuclear power stations could come on line.

Nuclear is dead. The stations should have been builts 20 years but it is too late now. An entirely green renewable energy future will happen far quicer and far cheaper.

Nuclear is absolutely the last thing we need right now. It doesn't solve any problem with the energy crisis, will just burn through billions and billions before the projects are scrapped as renewable energy will be literally 100x cheaper than nuclear.

If the government wsnted tp they could help fast track massive wind generation and battery storage to be in place by next winter.

It doesn't matter what the Government wants.

The National Electrical grid CANNOT take on the sheer amount of incoming connections required.

I have a client who wants to build a 5MW Solar farm, connection to grid estimated to be complete by 2030... yes.. 8 YEARS to even get a connection to the grid. Would only take 3 months to build the solar farm.
The Connection application took a year and nearly 500k to get pushed through..

Soldato
It doesn't matter what the Government wants.

The National Electrical grid CANNOT take on the sheer amount of incoming connections required.

I have a client who wants to build a 5MW Solar farm, connection to grid estimated to be complete by 2030... yes.. 8 YEARS to even get a connection to the grid. Would only take 3 months to build the solar farm.
The Connection application took a year and nearly 500k to get pushed through..

Is that 8 years because it's difficult to "wire up" a solar farm to the grid, or just because there's such a backlog?

Soldato
I would guess backlog, everyone wants their share of the subsidies. Haulage companies are falling over themselves to bid into capacity markets with a couple of gas engines. The entire World is queuing up to build offshore wind farms with delicious 25 year contracts. It's the Wild West for renewable energy carpet baggers. Yet none of these lavishly funded schemes provides security of supply because grid scale storage doesn't exist.

We complain about the expense now wait until the Deep State has done away with gas them the howls will be heard.

Soldato
Backlog, it’s the same for electric car rapid chargers.

Billions sat there in private investment ready to go and deploy the things everywhere, they can’t get the grid connection to hook them up…

Soldato
Backlog, it’s the same for electric car rapid chargers.

Billions sat there in private investment ready to go and deploy the things everywhere, they can’t get the grid connection to hook them up…

Exactly.

We have enough granted planning permissions to power most of the country utilising Solar, Wind and Battery storage. But no way to connect them to the grid to start feeding power to where it needs to go.

If there was NO limit on connecting to the grid, we would not be in the situation we are in today.

Soldato
It’s not that there is a limit on connections, all the bottlenecks are in the ‘last mile’ of the connections.

There is a huge lack of skilled engineers within the DNOs to do the work and the process of getting all the legal paperwork in place for digging up peoples land to lay them. The latter is largely delayed by NIMBYism.

You should see all the campaigners lobbying against connecting the the wind farms off the coast of east Anglia to the grid via hurried cables that you can’t even see. Pure NIMBYism at its finest.

Soldato
It’s not that there is a limit on connections, all the bottlenecks are in the ‘last mile’ of the connections.

There is a huge lack of skilled engineers within the DNOs to do the work and the process of getting all the legal paperwork in place for digging up peoples land to lay them. The latter is largely delayed by NIMBYism.

You should see all the campaigners lobbying against connecting the the wind farms off the coast of east Anglia to the grid via hurried cables that you can’t even see. Pure NIMBYism at its finest.

Dont get me started on some DNO's.. lets call them Don't Need to Organise

Soldato
Kind of makes sense to me that rooftop solar would be less viable financially than larger scale renewable schemes. A lot of work installing the small scale panels on a roof, getting all the household level electrics and household sized inverter installed etc. Compare to a large scale farm or covering a warehouse roof where economies of scale kick in.

Seems to me like the only way to make it economically attractive at the moment is with increased government subsidies, but I'd probably argue that would be a bit of a waste - same amount of money would have more impact subsidising large scale windfarms or large solar farms covering a car park or warehouse roof etc.

I guess the only advantage would be no need for extra transmission infrastructure for domestic installations (at least until you reach a point where the amount of noisy power generated by hones in the middle of a summer day starts to overwhelm the capacity of the local network to feed back into the grid and potentially causes interference problems). If it's too expensive or takes too long to get larger schemes hooked up the the DNO then that seems like the real problem that needs solving.

Soldato
OP
Took a meter reading on 31st March then another today -They charged me £7.38 for three days :eek:

Meter man is coming tomorrow to fit a smart one - I buckled under in the end.

Soldato
Took a meter reading on 31st March then another today -They charged me £7.38 for three days :eek:

Meter man is coming tomorrow to fit a smart one - I buckled under in the end.

My parents are adamant they will stay on PAYG meters and for once it has worked out for them since the rates are pretty much the same now, so they resisted smart meters as well. I hear you can get smart PAYG meters, so maybe that will push them over the edge once OVO finally ends their THTC tariff.

Back
Top Bottom