This is getting ridiculous (energy prices - Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
I moved to Octopus last week and the tracker at the weekend, which as confirmed on Monday morning. I take full responsibility for this. Sorry folks.

Soldato
Looking to change soon hopefully from British Gas and EDF for electricity. Octopus still the best going around at the minute? Got 2 EVs in the house and 1 charger, no solar panels
If you have 2 EV's you really need to be on a time of use tariff.

Octopus 'Go' or 'Intelligent Go' depending on if you have a compatible car or charger for the latter or not. That said, there are a number of EV tariffs on the market right now which are reasonably competitive.

Intelligent Go is probably the best if you have access to it. Intelligent go only supports one car for intelligent charging if it is linking to a car rather than a charger but that is fine, you can still charge the other car for cheap during the fixed 6 hour off-peak window (11:30 - 5:30). The intelligent charging can happen outside of these times if the wind is blowing and there is plenty of power going spare, if that is the case, all your electricity is at the cheap rate.

The latter is what makes Octopus cheaper than say OVO anytime which has a lower headline rate (7p vs 7.5p) but it only discounts the energy going into your car and not your whole house.

Soldato
I moved to Octopus last week and the tracker at the weekend, which as confirmed on Monday morning. I take full responsibility for this. Sorry folks.
Cheers mate. I left tracker months ago so good to see you dinging everyones benefit that I left them with.

Last edited:
Associate
Octopus intelligent user here, my average import was 18p.

Since getting batteries, it’s been 8p-10p. Early days still but once the sun kicks in, our export payments will be higher than our import costs.
Just got my first full months bill on Agile - 12.48p average unit rate, significantly better than the 18p I was managing with Eco 7 and crazy bonkers better than the default rate. I'll likely make a profit from March once the sun shines higher and for longer but Agile is definitely accelerating the payback time on the batteries and the solar looks after itself.

Associate
If you have 2 EV's you really need to be on a time of use tariff.

Octopus 'Go' or 'Intelligent Go' depending on if you have a compatible car or charger for the latter or not. That said, there are a number of EV tariffs on the market right now which are reasonably competitive.

Intelligent Go is probably the best if you have access to it. Intelligent go only supports one car for intelligent charging if it is linking to a car rather than a charger but that is fine, you can still charge the other car for cheap during the fixed 6 hour off-peak window (11:30 - 5:30). The intelligent charging can happen outside of these times if the wind is blowing and there is plenty of power going spare, if that is the case, all your electricity is at the cheap rate.

The latter is what makes Octopus cheaper than say OVO anytime which has a lower headline rate (7p vs 7.5p) but it only discounts the energy going into your car and not your whole house.

Thanks mate this is really useful.

I need to look into a way to get my washing machines/dryers/dishwasher etc on some kind of smart system so they they can auto run in those cheaper hours as well.

I only charge 1 car at at time anyway, since both are just short city commuters so last a while. The charger is a new Zappi so I assume that will have some kind of intelligent charging connectivity. I'll need to switch to smart meters too I suppose? Been avoiding it since I've heard lots of horror stories.

Soldato
Thanks mate this is really useful.

I need to look into a way to get my washing machines/dryers/dishwasher etc on some kind of smart system so they they can auto run in those cheaper hours as well.

I only charge 1 car at at time anyway, since both are just short city commuters so last a while. The charger is a new Zappi so I assume that will have some kind of intelligent charging connectivity. I'll need to switch to smart meters too I suppose? Been avoiding it since I've heard lots of horror stories.

The Zappi is compatible with Octopus intelligent so you can use intelligent charging for both cars. Only a few chargers on the market fully integrate with Octopus, the Zappi is one of them.

You need a smart meter, there is no reason not to have one unless you don’t like money, you’ll literally save a ton of money having one as they enable time of use tariffs. Before getting solar, my average energy cost was under 18p/kwh just using octopus intelligent go and we were not really trying to time shift to the cheap period other than the car.

There is a £50 referral code for Octopus where both people get £50. Of you have and friends/family on Octopus ask for their code, if not ask for one here and you’ll no doubt receive about 35 in your PMs including from me :p .

Your appliances should have basic delay timers, those are usually more than suitable for time shifting. That’s all we use for the dishwasher, washing machine or dryer. The dryer uses the most energy so out of the choose of washing or drying, time shift the drying.

Last edited:
Soldato
Guarantee you won't find better than Tracker.

It'll still remain the best gas tariff on the market. It's worked out at just over 4p per kWh for me over the last quarter.

Some of us might be cheaper moving to other tariffs for electricity though. For me, last quarter averaged to 17p per kWh. On the new tariff that would have been around 19.3p.

Anyone seen anything about Agile going up? Agile would have averaged 18.48p without shifting demand, so I can see potential for decent savings vs the new Tracker tariff.

Last edited:
Soldato
Octopus email earlier stating they are changing the tracker calculation…due to ofgem raising prices. Yet the cap is reducing in april, so will have to check if its still the best tariff…

It'll still be by far the cheapest on the market. But it does **** me off that we can't have our good thing for much longer. As soon as some people win the system they always put the hand on the scale. Oh well. At least it'll be a third cheaper than half. I'm not going anywhere unless the SVR drops to £1300 like it was pre pandemic

Soldato
It'll still be by far the cheapest on the market. But it does **** me off that we can't have our good thing for much longer. As soon as some people win the system they always put the hand on the scale. Oh well. At least it'll be a third cheaper than half. I'm not going anywhere unless the SVR drops to £1300 like it was pre pandemic

I'm enjoying the benefits of cheaper prices now but if tracker type tariffs become popular and widely accepted then all that will happen is tracker prices will end up being about the same price as SVR but we will take all the risk of instant price increases.

For now the lower cost is working out but if it comes close to SVR prices then I'm off.

Soldato
I'm enjoying the benefits of cheaper prices now but if tracker type tariffs become popular and widely accepted then all that will happen is tracker prices will end up being about the same price as SVR but we will take all the risk of instant price increases.

For now the lower cost is working out but if it comes close to SVR prices then I'm off.
Yeah same but how close? I'm thinking 10% or less then I might as well jump

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom