This is getting ridiculous (energy prices - Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
Not much wind recently and when the sun isn't shining grid is using lots of gas as well. Agile prices not great, 14p lows recently. Luckily I dont need to import anything this time of year.

Soldato
Decent reduction tbh pays mobile and broadband nearly., I do quite a bit of frying on elec cooker though, Currys from scratch ect

Screenshot-2024-05-10-20-45-39-92-99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg

Not wishing to trigger @Richie but this is interesting
"So that, for example, if today we had regional pricing, every region would be cheaper than it is because we’ve been reducing waste. But, more than that, Scotland would be the cheapest electricity in Europe. "

And what I have been saying all along
"But we need to have IMBYs as well, people who will directly benefit and can see the direct benefit of building infrastructure"

From https://www.carbonbrief.org/the-carbon-brief-interview-octopus-energys-greg-jackson/

Last edited:
Soldato
Not wishing to trigger @Richie but this is interesting...

Thats fair :cry: :D

"So that, for example, if today we had regional pricing, every region would be cheaper than it is because we’ve been reducing waste. But, more than that, Scotland would be the cheapest electricity in Europe. "

Shh, you'll also trigger @200sols who'll come and try and explain it away as not accurate :p

And what I have been saying all along
"But we need to have IMBYs as well, people who will directly benefit and can see the direct benefit of building infrastructure"

From https://www.carbonbrief.org/the-carbon-brief-interview-octopus-energys-greg-jackson/

Its similar to mobile phones... Everyone wants perfect coverage where they go but "you can FO trying to put that big mast up near me sunshine" is the usual attitude you get :rolleyes:

Edit - I have read some of that report now and, for all the complaints about Scotland being poor at this and that, it has certainly fully embraced Renewables compared to other parts of the UK. Wind, Tidal, Hydro, Solar and there are several battery farms being installed to help store any excess energy to reduce curtailment. So, yeah, it can be a bit galling being in a country who are punching way above its size in Renewables yet being asked to pay the most whilst other areas are doing hee-haw and reaping cheap energy (SC) :o

Last edited:
Soldato
Shh, you'll also trigger @200sols who'll come and try and explain it away as not accurate :p
I saw his post and was waiting for this :cry:

I think I've already argued for severing the link between energy prices and gas prices anyway so we are in agreement. The crux of the argument on standing charges are not even related to the unit price so we can agree, I think, that reform is needed.

Caporegime
Finally moved to Octopus Intelligent Go, really nice reduction in off peak rates (over 12p to 7.5p) compared to flexible.

Hadn't realised it dropped your whole house rate to 7.5p rather than just the car charging.

Last edited:
Soldato
Finally moved to Octopus Intelligent Go, really nice reduction in off peak rates (over 12p to 7.5p) compared to flexible.

Hadn't realised it dropped your whole house rate to 7.5p rather than just the car charging.

Yup just weighing up moving myself but think flux still works out best with west facing solar panels

Soldato
This is car battery but I think its got implications for everything as I imagine it scales fine. 10 mins for hundreds of miles in power would be a big change, if safe..

Caporegime
This is car battery but I think its got implications for everything as I imagine it scales fine. 10 mins for hundreds of miles in power would be a big change, if safe..

I'll believe it when I see it. Every few months for years there's a battery breakthrough reported and yet nothing ever hits production.

Soldato
I'll believe it when I see it. Every few months for years there's a battery breakthrough reported and yet nothing ever hits production.
Aye, the shills are plenty on the net. One particular channel puts out “battery break thru” news on weekly basis - some Australian Viking.

It’s almost to the point of cry wolf.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Next winter is going to be when we have to face the real world

Our monthly winter bill is 150.
And as winter goes on so long even April is expensive as the house leaks heat like a sieve.

But 150 is on a really cheap rate. I'm expecting potentially a 100pc jump in costs depending on how life goes.
Its not the end of the world.. But it's certainly going to bite.

This cold weather has made me think of it! :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom