This is getting ridiculous (energy prices - Strictly NO referrals!)

Associate
I think its the windows.
Not sure if there's something you can do/someone you can get in to assess. But winter is coming (if it ever leaves) so I need to attack it.

I've changed the hinges on a couple of windows and can't tell any difference. Next is seals.

People here often recommend borrowing a thermal camera to pinpoint the heat loss. My house is the same, i had some internal wall insulation done cheap in areas, helps, but old leaky home is leaky sadly.

I think its the windows.
Not sure if there's something you can do/someone you can get in to assess. But winter is coming (if it ever leaves) so I need to attack it.

I've changed the hinges on a couple of windows and can't tell any difference. Next is seals.

test the seals assuming they are double glazed, you can then if they are the problem replace seals and/or hinges

Caporegime

Price cap drops July but goes back up October and January, just in time for autumn and winter. :rolleyes:

Time to look for a fix.

Lower Price cap with an extremely high standing charge :(

Still it does look like it will be far lower overall compared to my current rate

Loyal Octopus 12M Fixed July 2023 v1
Ending 28/07/2024

DAY RATE NIGHT RATE
36.17 p/kWh 15.31 p/kWh
STANDING CHARGE
45.66p/day

Last edited:
Soldato
I put my usages in, and got £164 a month dual fuel, fixed for 12 months with OVO.

The last year I've paid £188 a month, and when it came to spring, got a rebate over over £700.

Are prices going to go up that much over the next year realistically, that that fix presents good enough value?

I put my usages in, and got £164 a month dual fuel, fixed for 12 months with OVO.

The last year I've paid £188 a month, and when it came to spring, got a rebate over over £700.

Are prices going to go up that much over the next year realistically, that that fix presents good enough value?

Look at the unit prices and SC rather than the quoted estimate of month amounts.

Soldato
Honestly, it's an absolute **** take nowadays! All of the fixed deals I've been seeing recently are only working out marginally cheaper due to the over-inflated standing charges. It's so frustrating that they're allowed to get away with this.

Soldato
Most people use a lot more in winter, prices will go up this winter so fixing now is viable. But look at unit rates and standing charges, monthly prices are meaningless.

Or look into Octopus tracker.

Last edited:
Soldato
Look at the unit prices and SC rather than the quoted estimate of month amounts.

Thanks. Usage costs are slightly higher, and standing charges are lower.

OVO:
Gas: 6.017 & SC: 13.85p
Elec: 22.901 & SC: 49.518p

My Octopus tracker:
Gas: 4.27 & SC: 26.16p
Elec: 15.97 & SC: 53.93

Most people use a lot more in winter, prices will go up this winter so fixing now is viable. But look at unit rates and standing charges, monthly prices are meaningless.

Or look into Octopus tracker.
I'm on Octopus tracker now, and have been since last year, which is why I guess I've saved a lot of money.

Soldato
Octopus Tracker prices have been cheaper than available fixed rates for a while but I’ve a price convergence over the past month or so. Soon enough there won’t be much difference between tracker and fixed unless there’s a shock (positive or negative) to the energy markets

Don
Octopus Tracker prices have been cheaper than available fixed rates for a while but I’ve a price convergence over the past month or so. Soon enough there won’t be much difference between tracker and fixed unless there’s a shock (positive or negative) to the energy markets
I'm seeing likewise. Tracker is 21p/kWh today (south east).

Still big savings to be had on gas though.

Associate
As energy prices stabilise then you'd expect tracker to creep towards the standard price as the day to day rate will be a lot more consistent, it's really just due to the price cap rate finally catching up with the more recent stable prices. I expect that tracker and agile will become less worthwhile in the near future and most will be back to things like standard rate/eco 7/intelligent/cosy.

Agile's still cheaper for me but I'm going to monitor closely.

Soldato
Honestly, it's an absolute **** take nowadays! All of the fixed deals I've been seeing recently are only working out marginally cheaper due to the over-inflated standing charges. It's so frustrating that they're allowed to get away with this.
Just got a reply from Ofgem thanking me for my input on the standing charges consultation, the end of the email states they will continue to engage with stakeholders

Back
Top Bottom