Poll: This Johnny Depp Stuff

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Caporegime
AH might look pretty on the outside but she could well be the polar opposite on the inside.
she doesn't really she looks pretty plain with a stupid gormy look like her sister but with plastic surgery and cheek implants that make it look like someone clocked her one

Caporegime
Omg my god im glad this is nearly over.
Other half has been watching this in all her spare time for what seems months.....

Legalbytes or some stupid YouTube group or lawyers... Does my head in having American accents on TV 10h a freaking day night morning...

Soldato
A week?! I did jury service during COVID (for an open and shut case) and we were done within 20 minutes :D

There’s only 7 jurors in this case though… and they all have to unanimously agree, so realistically I can see one of them torpedoing the case by going against the grain.

When I did it, we had a juror that claimed he knew the defendant was lying because he “looked like one of those types” :o
When I did jury service, there was one person who couldn't believe the defendant could lie whilst swearing on the bible!

Man of Honour
Juries are unpredictable because they can be swayed by emotion. I was on jury service for an assault case. It hinged on several factors but ultimately the guy on trial had reasonable grounds to believe he was about to be attacked by three men and glassed in the face. So he punched first in self defense to disarm the guy with the glass. Several of the jurors, all women who had not been in a violent situation before (I think that is relevant to mention) felt he should have waited until after he had been attacked and glassed before defending himself.

Soldato
Juries are unpredictable because they can be swayed by emotion. I was on jury service for an assault case. It hinged on several factors but ultimately the guy on trial had reasonable grounds to believe he was about to be attacked by three men and glassed in the face. So he punched first in self defense to disarm the guy with the glass. Several of the jurors, all women who had not been in a violent situation before (I think that is relevant to mention) felt he should have waited until after he had been attacked and glassed before defending himself.
So those women think they should be attacked before trying anything to protect themselves. I'm sure they would think different if they were about to be attacked.

Soldato
Everyone voting Depp will win fail to remember the depths people will go to, to believe that all women claiming rape and bullying are right no matter what. Imo, she cannot lose.
See for me it is posts like this and the one about this being the final nail in the coffin for the #metoo movement that led me to think this was just another anti women thread. Its as bad as all 'men are rapist' comments.

Anyway came across this article on my firefox page.
The Johnny Depp vs. Amber Heard trial has been incredibly triggering for many folks - especially those of us with personality disorder (PD) diagnoses. Not only do Heard and Depp both have Personality Disorders (Borderline and Histrionic respectively, with Heard being controversially labelled with both BPD and HPD by a forensic psychiatrist that Depp’s legal team hired themselves), but their mental state has become intrinsic to the spectacle - interestingly, all of it unfolding during Mental Health Awareness Month.

This in turn is prompting some hideous narrations in both traditional and social media that further stigmatise, and overlook, the structural discrimination and abuse faced by many of us. The infamous hashtag ‘AmberHeardIsaPsychopath’ is currently trending on Twitter (conflating two polar opposite PDs) and an onslaught of personal threats across social media are being directed at her. The vast majority of this is inexcusable, even if she were actually proven guilty of every single claim made in that courtroom.

Caporegime
Anyway came across this article on my firefox page.

OMG not "all of it unfolding during Mental Health Awareness Month." There seems to be a new awareness month every month, next month we're going to see various international corporations update their logos with rainbow flags... except not in countries that actually criminalise homosexuality.

I don't think we need to coddle people and using "psychopath" or "psycho" as a shorthand for someone who is a bit "mental" to the point where they've got serious anger issues and are violent towards others is common enough to be understood that it's not meant as an accurate diagnosis.

It's certainly not intended to disparage anyone and everyone with mental health issues but rather just to criticise the behavour of the individual being referred to, that they may have some actual mental issues shouldn't mean that they can't be criticised for ****ty behaviour.

Caporegime
Had to vote neither in the poll, given it requires a full agreement by the jury. Sure she’s bat**** crazy and has done the best acting job she’s ever done in that court room, but there will be one or two jury members that lapped it up or just plain don’t like Depp for some reason.

Soldato
OP
See for me it is posts like this and the one about this being the final nail in the coffin for the #metoo movement that led me to think this was just another anti women thread. Its as bad as all 'men are rapist' comments.
As the OP, I was "inspired" to start this thread as I read the article about Heard defecating in the marital bed. As a result, I've ended up catching a fair bit of the trial as I've followed the thread. There has definitely been some sexist comments made for sure, but I'll tell you where I've heard the worst criticism of Heard - from my wife.

It's easy to frame this as an anti-woman agenda, but the truth is that this could be 2 blokes on the stand and the public reaction would be the same. It's an anti-liar agenda, because make no mistake, if this woman was even remotely plausible then Depp would be sharing a cell with Weinstein by now.

What I don't like to see, is someone with mental health issues being used for public entertainment. It's all a bit distasteful from that point of view, IMO.

Soldato
As the OP, I was "inspired" to start this thread as I read the article about Heard defecating in the marital bed. As a result, I've ended up catching a fair bit of the trial as I've followed the thread. There has definitely been some sexist comments made for sure, but I'll tell you where I've heard the worst criticism of Heard - from my wife.

It's easy to frame this as an anti-woman agenda, but the truth is that this could be 2 blokes on the stand and the public reaction would be the same. It's an anti-liar agenda, because make no mistake, if this woman was even remotely plausible then Depp would be sharing a cell with Weinstein by now.

What I don't like to see, is someone with mental health issues being used for public entertainment. It's all a bit distasteful from that point of view.
Well yes but you are mixing hostility with criticisism. There are posts that imply all women that cry rape are lying and the metoo movement women are just liars and it is all blown out of proportion.

Has your wife after watching it said 'it just goes to show you cant trust any women, especially if they cry rape or sexual assault'? Or 'you see I knew that metoo movement was nonsense and this proves it'?

Dont get me wrong Im almost sure there are posts in here that arent just anti Heard because, women.

As Chris Rock said. “Believe all women, believe all women… except Amber Heard. What the **** is she on? She **** in his bed! She’s fine but she’s not ******** fine.

“She **** in his bed. Once you **** in someone’s bed you just guilty of everything.

“She **** in his bed. WTF is going on there? Wow. And they had a relationship after that. It must be amazing *lady parts*… I’ve been with some crazy *women* but goddammit.”

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well yes but you are mixing hostility with criticisism. There are posts that imply all women that cry rape are lying and the metoo movement women are just liars and it is all blown out of proportion.

Has your wife after watching it said 'it just goes to show you cant trust any women, especially if they cry rape or sexual assault'? Or 'you see I knew that metoo movement was nonsense and this proves it'?

Dont get me wrong Im almost sure there are posts in here that arent just anti Heard because, women.

As Chris Rock said. “Believe all women, believe all women… except Amber Heard. What the **** is she on? She **** in his bed! She’s fine but she’s not ******** fine.
Are you paraphrasing there, or could you quote specific posts?

I understand if you CBA trawling through the thread to find specific posts, I'm just making the point that I can't recall those things being said here.

Back
Top Bottom