This man knows who stole my phone, can anyone help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't Google have a database of all WiFi access points and their relative GPS location? It's one of the things they recorded when they did StreetView if I'm not mistaken, to aid faster GPS as WiFi access points typically have a fixed geographical location.

I know because if I turn on GPS with WiFi off it takes 10-30 seconds to get a fix, and it gives you a message saying you can get faster fix if you turn on WiFi. If you try to get a fix with WiFi on it get's a fix within a second if your in range of a WiFi access point.

I'm not saying its not reasonable to think that it's a high possibility but people here are talking like it's definitive! It's not and wouldn't stand up in court or be good enough grounds for the police to get a warrant (imo) to kick down his door and arrest him. Ergo why I think it's unfair to post his picture as he could very possibly be totally innocent!!

I don't disagree - it won't see him convicted of theft in court (Nor should it). But that doesn't make it unreasonable to post his picture on line. He knows the thief, so if this enables him to be identified, purely for the purposes of asking him who that person is, then its perfectly reasonable.

yak.h'cir - There's enough american crap on TV that people are going to confuse the terms. To be fair, I don't see a search warrant being granted on the basis of this picture (I would love to be wrong). I think in reality the police would likely go and talk to the guy (If they can identify him) and hope they can get a name out of him. He would make a good witness if they do catch the guy behind the camera, but there's not much they can do to make him name names.

Where's burnsey when we need him? Would this get a search warrant or not?

If it gives you the root option you've got the exynos, didn't know they'd used snapdragon in the S2.

I wasn't sure about the snapdragon, but i thought i read somewhere that S2's may also be built on that chip.
I have the exynos zipped file on my SD card, if i run it, and the correct chip is indeed inside my S2 should it just root the device and job done?
I'm not interesting in customising the rom, just rooting it so i can use ALL the cerberus functions.

edit: backing up with Samsung Kies is absolutely carp......fails 100% of the time.

I've been wondering why the pic looks like it has been "photographed". As in it's perfectly framed and he's looking at the camera, there's no camera shake indicating the phone was still and framed at him for up to several seconds. You don't just randomly hold a phone pointing at someone. Also, if the person was indeed using the camera app at the time and taking photos of his mate, then how has the tracking app accessed the camera hardware at the same time as the camera app?

How does this app work, does it have a live viewfinder? or do you just randomly zap photos? couldn't you take any other photos of the surroundings?

Just got lucky I think! I didn't want to take too many pictures because I was under the impression that it activated the shutter sound when you did so. I've since found out that Cerberus fixed this issue in a December update.

I've emptied my dropbox account and reset it back to the old password so if they've been taking photos themselves they should sync up if it's connected again!

Doesn't Google have a database of all WiFi access points and their relative GPS location? It's one of the things they recorded when they did StreetView if I'm not mistaken, to aid faster GPS as WiFi access points typically have a fixed geographical location.

I know because if I turn on GPS with WiFi off it takes 10-30 seconds to get a fix, and it gives you a message saying you can get faster fix if you turn on WiFi. If you try to get a fix with WiFi on it get's a fix within a second if your in range of a WiFi access point.

I think they did but got into a lot of trouble for collecting the data and were made to delete it. Although they also collected peoples data that was being sent on unencrypted networks which was the larger sticking point I believe.

I think they did but got into a lot of trouble for collecting the data and were made to delete it. Although they also collected peoples data that was being sent on unencrypted networks which was the larger sticking point I believe.
Yeah. I was aware they were ordered to delete data, but was under the impression they kept their geolocation data as it wasn't really private info.

Nor is GPS though (well not Samsung Dive anyway), I just checked mine from my office and it came back saying I was in a close about 200 metres away from where I actually am.

I'm guessing it's because it only uses the road network and that close is the nearest to my actual position (my office is obviously on private lane off the road network)

That's interesting, because if I use Samsung Dive it pinpoints my location exactly. Down to which room of the building i'm in! :eek:

That's interesting, because if I use Samsung Dive it pinpoints my location exactly. Down to which room of the building i'm in! :eek:

When you run yours do you get a pop-up on the Drive website saying...

Due to interruptions in GPS reception, a positioning error may occur with your current mobile location.

?

I've run it three times today and it comes up every time with a position quite a bit off where I actually am. It could be the building I'm in but when I run Google Maps it points exactly where I am (well probably 5 metres off but that's reasonable).

When you run yours do you get a pop-up on the Drive website saying...

?

I've run it three times today and it comes up every time with a position quite a bit off where I actually am. It could be the building I'm in but when I run Google Maps it points exactly where I am (well probably 5 metres off but that's reasonable).

Yeah I get that using the button to retrieve it, but when I first log in it puts me in the right location.

Put me in the building next door. Hardly inaccurate really and still useful
Results vary widely with triangulation. Always puts me about 100 meters southwest when at home.

Still useful for getting some quick directions or browsing maps. Just not for precise measurement.

Last edited:
See if you can get the CIA involved using their satellite technology and roam around like in Zero Dark Thirty past each hotspot in the city and try and catch them out, may take a few months though.

Results vary widely with triangulation. Always puts me about 100 meters southwest when at home.

Still useful for getting some quick directions or browsing maps. Just not for precise measurement.

He's turned off Google's location services, so that means that WiFi or cell triangulation won't work at all.

I wasn't sure about the snapdragon, but i thought i read somewhere that S2's may also be built on that chip.
I have the exynos zipped file on my SD card, if i run it, and the correct chip is indeed inside my S2 should it just root the device and job done?
I'm not interesting in customising the rom, just rooting it so i can use ALL the cerberus functions.

edit: backing up with Samsung Kies is absolutely carp......fails 100% of the time.

Install the apk and run it. The ap lets you root, unroot and fix the exynos cpu security flaw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom