Thoughts on employers potentially having to offer 4-day week?

Man of Honour
I think this could be quite a divisive topic. But clearly this won't be applicable to a lot of industries, but for a lot of office workers this may be an option that the employer may have to accept from my understanding. The government said that it will not force employers to introduce a four-day week - do you think this option will actually come into force? Giving the people the choice legally to do it and worked condensed hours?

Would you take them up on it? I can see this causing a lot of issues with control freak leadership, and let's face it people do more than their allocated hours already.

I think if I could do a 4 day week I'd be all over it.

I moved to a 4 day week last month, it’s great as I get a long weekend due to having a Monday off but the long days can be a chore.

Could be a nightmare logistically to implement for big companies.

I did 3 days longer hours over the main part of the pandemic, so we could reduce overlap in the building to minimise spread, and mostly 4 day weeks since (slightly less hours but pretty much same pay as I was on 5 days), I actually resent doing a 5 day week now, though occasionally do 5 or 6 days to cover holiday or emergencies. It is crazy how much difference 3 days vs 2 days off makes.

Not sure I'd want to compress 40+ hours into 3 or 4 days though - I'm currently in the 30-40 hours (usually more towards 30) over 4 days mark and that is fine.

Last edited:
Already work compressed hours on 9/10. Have every other Friday off, would probably prefer a different day. Do get a reduction in annual leave but there's more Fridays off than annual leave days lost so it's alright.

In my previous job we had flexi-time for up to 3 days in a week 4 period, so I basically worked compressed then doing an extra couple of hours each day to build the hours.

4 day condensed week is just like flexitime or shift work. Do 4 long days to have an extra day off. It's the same number of hours in the week.

What's it can also be is do 5 days work in 4 days and not in the same number of hours. The idea being people get more done in less time. But for that so work you need to have productivity and outputs metrics. Most places don't.

Most places or people won't be able to adjust their mindset or bias to new ways of working.

Not for me I don't think. The long days would be a killer.

Not sure I'd have a choice with what I do though, I guess if whatever customer I'm working on at the time decides they want to do a 4-day week, I may be forced into it.

I thought a 4 day week was actually fewer hours. What is being discussed here sounds like condensed hours which is what I do over 4 days. Doesn't feel any different doing 9.25h vs 8 tbh.

Edit: Clearly says that lol.

Edit 2: I thought the story was actually it would allow employees to request it, not it has to be granted. That is just flexible working arrangements which any employer worth working for already has in place.

Last edited:
Would you take them up on it? I can see this causing a lot of issues with control freak leadership, and let's face it people do more than their allocated hours already.

That's a possible issue in some salaried roles, in some cases it would essentially be like giving people an additional 50 days of vacation time.

Also working longer hours in one go can be less productive per hour worked. I mean we could take it further and say why not a 3-day week if people want that - work 12.5 hours per day for 3 days and still get in the 37.5 hours total per week + 4 days off in between. But those hours all at once probably won't be as productive as if they were spread out.

4 day week working normal hours for the same pay? Yes please.

Condensed weeks cramming the same hours into fewer days? No thanks.

Fortunately, the company I work for already has plans for a 4 day week with the same pay and reduced hours.

I've done part time and the full slog long weeks, and now on 40hrs 4 day. After getting a house deposit together i can't see any reason why i'd do 50+ hr weeks again, seems like a waste. Even having a 4 day compressed week still feels rushed, it's oh so easy to waste that 3 day weekend, but very convenient for holiday planning or when a family event happens etc as my weekend can still have something else going on.

Local working i'd say is the most beneficial. No travel time, no traffic, less expenses, can pop home if needed, etc. I'm not a desk worker but fully support widespread working from home.

Friday tomorrow, whoop :D :p

I've done part time and the full slog long weeks, and now on 40hrs 4 day. After getting a house deposit together i can't see any reason why i'd do 50+ hr weeks again, seems like a waste. Even having a 4 day compressed week still feels rushed, it's oh so easy to waste that 3 day weekend, but very convenient for holiday planning or when a family event happens etc as my weekend can still have something else going on.

Local working i'd say is the most beneficial. No travel time, no traffic, less expenses, can pop home if needed, etc. I'm not a desk worker but fully support widespread working from home.

Friday tomorrow, whoop :D :p

I actually preferred having Wednesdays off and may go back to that tbh. As with all these things, I suspect the loudest voices will be people who can't do this and therefore they won't want others to have what they can't.

Last edited:
I already Work about 11-12 hours a day, albeit not continuous and very flexible . I would a 4 day week but that would simply mean cutting 20% working hours. The real issue is finding the contact hours with other teams, different time zones etc. 4-8pm are super busy.

I rather see a 6 day week with less hours being more practical . To some extent i already do that, stoping early at 6pm or taking a 90minute lunch (normally a working lunch) and catching up on Sunday

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom