Thoughts on employers potentially having to offer 4-day week?

I do, we have presence in 52 countries

including countries all over eurpose, some in middle east, a lot in Asiapac, america, canada, south america, Australia

:p

I cannot get away from having to work in different timezones.

Oh, I'm aware that it's a thing, but it's a minority of the workforce who have to worry about it, so it's not a strong case against a 4-day week overall.

There will always be exceptions where it just isn't feasible. The announcement was a little exaggerated, and employers won't actually be forced to offer a 4-day week. Employees will have the right to ask for it, but the employer will still have the power to refuse.

Last edited:
Is that mean I have do like 9+ hr days?

If it's a flexi time then fine, if it's mandatory to hit the same hours in 4 days then it's a maybe (with a leaning to yes), I will have to give it a trial I guess?

My friend who is at the police does 6 days on, 4 days off. I am always jealous of the 4 days off because if he book 6 days annual leave it gets 14 days together. In order for me to get 14 days annual leave, in a row I need to book at minimum, 9 days (bank holiday)

Last edited:
Oh, I'm aware that it's a thing, but it's a minority of the workforce who have to worry about it, so it's not a strong case against a 4-day week overall.

There will always be exceptions where it just isn't feasible. The announcement was a little exaggerated, and employers won't actually be forced to offer a 4-day week. Employees will have the right to ask for it, but the employer will still have the power to refuse.

I think working in IT and especially networks it wouldn't be possible

I do however prefer working, i dont usually have a lot planned in personal life at the moment and find myself getting bored quickly, and i like routine, challenges, am available for anything

Last edited:
On the 6 day week, for I don't think mos people will like it but I propose that asa likely future scenario. Given the context of a highly globalised labour market and the rapdily accelerating education levels and he rise of AI tools as assistants to increase productivity , then local labour markets and and desires of local workforces will largely become irrelevant.

China already has a semi-official 9am-9pm 6 day a week workweek . India is pushing on a 70 hour work week https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-67269976
I manage a team of software engineers in India and they do work 70 hours, spread over the week. in general, hey are smarter, better educated and harder working than most of the engineers I see in Europe and the US. At the same time salaries are 5x higher than India. My employer, like most other big tech companies has announced LRs and layoffs, but looking at the details you see it is explictly layoffs in Europe and the US. Indeed, our companies restructuring plan includes over 1bn USD investment, with jobs earmarked for India.

At the same time, Europe and the US have a severely ageing demographic and the only way to rectify that without lowering living standards will be to increase productivity.

Now I would personally love to work 40-45 hours over 4 days, but the reality is there are tens of thousands of people on the planet with similar skills that could replace me and do their 70 hour weeks for 60K USD per year vs my 360K.

I think the people hoping for a better work-life balance might be in for a shock when they find their job is simply outsourced because they can't keep up on 5 days a week, let alone 4 days a week. I really wish things would be different. people mistakenly think the productivity gains of AI will reduce the required working hours but in fact the oposite effect will occur. If you work 50 hours a week and new AI tool can double your throughout, then no employer will hire you on the same salary at 25 hours, conversely, increasing hours to 60 hours would provide a 40% additional productivity gain . In this way the labour costs can be reduced and the fewer workers happy to work the increased time can be well awarded. And well, you might not want to increase hours from 50 to 60 to maintain employment but there already millions working 60 hours and would be willing to increase to 70 hours leveraging AI tools to far outproduce what you are doing on a mere 50 hour week.

I can imagine in 20-30 years time societal changes in China, India, Indonesia etc will also see a reduction in work hours, but then you will see the rise of the African labour force aided by AI to be more productive than today's europeans.

i would do the 4 day week then get time and half for friday
And this is the other factor. While some people only want 4 days a week, plenty will be happy to work more for more money (even at equal rates). those opting for 5 day weeks will naturally be more invovled, wokr on more projects, better network, gain more experience faster, be more dependable and reachable. These people will get faster promotions and bugger bonuses, and when layoffs come around they will be most protected. The incentive will therefore be to work 5 days a week so even if there is an option to cut hours and pay, most won't want to.

I'd much rather still do the 5 days a week and shorter shifts, because if i start early I'm done by mid afternoon anyway leaving the afternoon free,all depends on everyone's circumstances I guess but other than office's I cannot see this 4 day a week work schedule been given the green light by employer's.

The only times I've not worked a four day week (either compressed or pt) is when I first started out of college for a couple of years or when I was a teacher for a couple of years (was about to request 4 days pt but got job poached instead - started on 4 days pt straight away with new emp).

Leisure time is far more important to me than more money.

Last edited:
So with an commute (back in the office) that wouls be for most london commuters, grabbing the 0730 train then stepping off at 2130.

The demand for longer hours would only work for work from home. It smells like the hours originally commuted being formally used at home as work.

However services don’t supply to customers on a short term basis - they are 24/7 with teams supporting often business hours. Compressing business hours means getting changes to services in large scale organisations being more difficult. Implications on the business case are then difficilt.

Between my 1 hour commute and my gym sessions I think cramming everything into a 4 day work week would be too exhausting for me.

Maybe I could do it with rejigging of my gym schedule. I do see 4 day work weeks mainly favouring those with shorter commutes.

I manage a team of software engineers in India and they do work 70 hours, spread over the week. in general, hey are smarter, better educated and harder working than most of the engineers I see in Europe and the US.
That sounds like your company sucks at hiring people. I’ve worked with Indian (Mechanical) engineers and they are nothing special.

I work 34h paid over 4 days. Full time pay would be 37h.
With the high UK tax I find the 3h reduction per week is not that much each month.

I find with minor planning it makes hardly any difference that I do not work one day per week, albeit that I work ~4.5 days worth over 4 days.

Last edited:
I think working in IT and especially networks it wouldn't be possible

I do however prefer working, i dont usually have a lot planned in personal life at the moment and find myself getting bored quickly, and i like routine, challenges, am available for anything

Why not. We have a thing called a rota.

Back
Top Bottom