Time for fuel cell / hydrogen car?

Like petrol?

Yeah. That petrol stuff explodes too, it'll never catch on.

Exactly, what kind of lunatics would want to drive around with a tank full of it everywhere they go?

Like I said, the point was that hydrogen will still have to go through the FUD stage even once it is viable, as BEVs are going through, where it gets challenged by absolute nonsense with no basis in reality by people who just don't want to change.

I had hoped that literally saying it was a nonsense argument with no basis in reality would have made that obvious but maybe not :p

Yeah. That petrol stuff explodes too, it'll never catch on.

Petrol fumes are flammable. Hydrogen is explosive (very explosive), inside a tank its basically a bomb.

Anything storing large amounts of energy is dangerous, including batteries. One way or another its going to get released, either in a controlled way or all at once.

Last edited:
Petrol fumes are flammable. Hydrogen is explosive (very
explosive), inside a tank its basically a bomb.

Anything storing large amounts of energy is dangerous, including batteries. One way or another its going to get released, either in a controlled way or all at once.

With all the money and expertise you would think they could develop a black box similar to what plane recorders use...

Another Tesla sponsored youtuber I see.

Spot his 'great Tesla gear I love' links.

What? The video has factual information surrounding how fuel cells are made, how they can be made and used in industries other than cars, and how they are not yet efficient enough.

Also, let me guess though, you dislike Tesla "because" :rolleyes:

What? The video has factual information surrounding how fuel cells are made, how they can be made and used in industries other than cars, and how they are not yet efficient enough.

How is efficiency relevant when you have an energy source that is so abundant?

Well, there's two more factors here I would bring:
1. When you 'burn' hydrogen, you just creating pure H2O - otherwise known as water, isn;t that correct? We need that ...
2. Planet is covered by water in what percentage??

Yes, hydrogen technology is is early stages, but if given choice between 2,5t electric pregnant cow called Prius ot any other cattle of sort without any noticeable acceleration (from 98% of its users), daily 'must not forget to charge it or I won't make it to work tomorrow' and car that I can fuel up in same time as petrol car and has miles higher range- I take Mirai all day long.

If you not noticed - not a fan of electric mastodonts..

How is efficiency relevant when you have an energy source that is so abundant?

You need infrastructure to harvest and transport that energy. The less efficiently it is used, the more infrastructure you need. That means more cost.

This stuff really shouldn't be this hard to understand. People aren't telling you HFCVs aren't there yet because they have an irrational dislike of them. They're stating it because it's true. Many of us have spent years watching the hydrogen market go nowhere. The cars are still expensive and difficult to get hold of. Fuelling stations are still sparse and fuel expensive. Also, hydrogen production simply isn't happening at any scale right now. We'd need vast new production facilities, either using electrolysis (which would mean huge renewable installations alongside them) or using natural gas (not so good on the eco side).

How much extra do EVs weigh over a standard vehicle? I suspect 20-40% extra weight isn't very efficient.

That depends on how you define efficient.

BEVs are the most efficient category of production vehicles, if we're talking about the amount of energy put in to them in order to make them move.

One gallon of petrol contains around 40kWh (equiv) of energy. 40kWh of electricity will move a BEV around 140-160 miles. A petrol car might manage 40-50 miles (maybe as much as 60 if it's a mild hybrid). The Toyota Mirai will do 32...

Last edited:

I don't dislike Tesla at all, I think they have given the industry a kick up the behind and I would love one.

What I was showing was the huge social media presence that Tesla have through their sponsorship of many different youtube channels which makes it difficult to separate fandom from reality.

It is the same for many different youtube channels, some are easy to spot and others are more difficult.

Back
Top Bottom