Tinnitus who suffers from it

Associate
Not anymore unfortunately, over the last seven years I’ve got quite unwell, first developed Ménière’s, chronic vestibular migraines, pushed very hard to keep working and functioning despite having 10+ hour vertigo attacks 3-5 times a week for two years. Eventually started finding myself very weak even standing, by 2020 I completely crashed and spent 6 months in bed thinking I was dying. I was eventually diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome and more recently fibromyalgia. As time has gone on I’ve got more unwell and gained more and more debilitating symptoms. I really loved my job as well, but I can barely function, let alone work. It’s quite frustrating as I’m only 37 and the combination of the above has absolutely ruined the life I had before. Now I’m pretty much just existing and my full time job feels like managing the endless symptoms. That’s my sob story over with anyway :D

If it is Ménière’s that you’ve got then everytime you have a vertigo attack it damages the inner ear and erodes away the hearing. Some people have fluctuating hearing but typically my understanding is that once the hearing is damaged you can’t get it back. I’m partially deaf in my effected ear now.

Ironically though I’ve lost a great deal of the hearing I’ve also become extremely noise sensitive. Even people talking loudly can be enough to trigger vertigo/migraine hell for hours. Very debilitating.

They suggest for Ménière’s to have a low salt diet, might be worth trying to see if it helps. Betahistine never really did anything for me and I ended up taking 96mg a day for two years. I’ve stopped taking it now.
Wow I felt sorry for myself early doors with mine, hope you are coping okay mate

Soldato
Serious LOL tinnitus moment:

I've been hearing this ticking noise, a really periodic low frequency sound that I thought was the central heating pump last year, I kept asking the Mrs if she heard anything and nothing.. so assumed it's my tinnitus since it's all mixed in, and only really that audible when I wake up with my tinnitus being quite high.

So this weekend it seems especially bad, I can normally just put on the TV with YouTube on some science podcast and nod off within a few minutes, but this ticking stops my brain turning off.. As luck would have it, I got some better USB chargers for the bedside cabinets as our iPads take ages to charge, so wanted something with more oomph.. I'm changing the one on the Mrs side, and suddenly I hear this periodic noise, but quite localised and fairly loud.. so I investigate and find an old school battery powered alarm clock in a drawer that is ticking away very loudly.. I laugh and tell the Mrs who has an epiphany and remembers that last year it was annoying her with the ticking so she shoved it in the drawer one day and forgot about it!

Amazing how I can have some quite loud tinnitus and yet hear that over it, and my Mrs couldn't hear a thing!

I'm actually relieved and only laughed about it, and hopefully it'll not be something that stops me getting back to sleep anymore!

Last edited:
Soldato
I've been hearing this ticking noise, a really periodic low frequency sound that I thought was the central heating pump last year, I kept asking the Mrs if she heard anything and nothing.. so assumed it's my tinnitus since it's all mixed in, and only really that audible when I wake up with my tinnitus being quite high.

So this weekend it seems especially bad, I can normally just put on the TV with youtube on some science podcast and nod off within a few minutes, but this ticking stops my brain turning off.. As luck would have it, I got some better USB chargers for the bedside cabinets as our iPads take ages to charge, so wanted something with more oomph.. I'm changing the one on the Mrs side, and suddenly I hear this periodic noise, but quite localised and fairly loud.. so I investigate and find an old school battery powered alarm clock that is ticking away very loudly.. I laugh and tell the Mrs who has an epiphany and remembers it was annoying her so she shoved it in the drawer one day and forgot about it!

Amazing how I can have some quite loud tinnitus and yet hear that over it, and my Mrs couldn't hear a thing!

you can have tinnitus with normal hearing, its damaged nerves i read.

Soldato
you can have tinnitus with normal hearing, its damaged nerves i read.

It can be so many things that its hard to nail down a single cause.

Most common forms of tinnitus are hearing damage related. Some can be nerve damage. Some can be pressure on the nerves of that area from the jaw (but not damaged), could be from inflamed eustachian tubes, etc. It goes on and on.

Last edited:
Associate
It can be so many things that its hard to nail down a single cause.

Most common forms of tinnitus are hearing damage related. Some can be nerve damage. Some can be pressure on the nerves of that area from the jaw (but not damaged), could be from inflamed eustachian tubes, etc. It goes on and on.
My Tinnitus was definitely caused by industrial noise when I was an apprentice back in the 60s. In those days you had cotton wool down your ears or just got on with it. Safety regulations only really came into effect during the 70s.

Associate
Wouldn't wish it on anyone! Had it post botched (or at least failed) ear op in the early 2000s. Intense vertigo/nausea for 3 months and tinnitus for around 2 years. Not entirely sure what made it go away - or perhaps become less prominent to the point it was no longer a constant source of stress and anxiety but thankfully it did. In quiet moments it's almost like it comes back briefly but I do seem to be able to not focus on it enough to not let it regain prominence. It's a really complex and hard to fathom thing in my (limited) experience. Good luck to all those dealing with it

Soldato
Wouldn't wish it on anyone! Had it post botched (or at least failed) ear op in the early 2000s. Intense vertigo/nausea for 3 months and tinnitus for around 2 years. Not entirely sure what made it go away - or perhaps become less prominent to the point it was no longer a constant source of stress and anxiety but thankfully it did. In quiet moments it's almost like it comes back briefly but I do seem to be able to not focus on it enough to not let it regain prominence. It's a really complex and hard to fathom thing in my (limited) experience. Good luck to all those dealing with it

Probably nerve damage that eventually resolved. Depending on the nerve and extent of damage it can repair, but takes a very long time.

Soldato
30 years i have had it. Prob caused by loud music and sticking cotton buds down the ears!! Noise is quite intense.

Every now and then i clean my ears out myself with a water jet (supposed to be for the teeth) with warm water. You ought to see what comes out of the lug holes with that device!!

Def wouldnt recommend anyone using one if they have 'sound' ears!!

For me, its a necessity as they bung up a lot with wax.

Doesnt cure the tinnitus but, i know when the ears need the water jet as my ears show signs of blockage and extra noises!

Soldato
i’d love to know why my tinnitus is quiet some days and barely audible on others. Seems totally random. I don’t mind in when its quiet its soothing in a way.

Soldato
Thank you I appreciate it a lot
I know someone who is going through similar, went from fairly normal healthy to struggling to lift a bottle of milk. Have you heard about the medicinal cannabis research that's helping some people who suffer from fybro? Appreciate we can't discuss medication on here but that is a trial, or was a trial.

Sorry to hear that you're going through this. Life is messed up.

Last edited:
Associate
Had mine for around 20y now - not sure what caused it but I think it was a combination of my Labrador barking right in my left ear one day along with a day out airsofting where some numpty on other side threw a grenade into the bunker a few of us were in... it was basically a huge banger in a rubber housing... both of those noises physically hurt!

My noise is a constant tone in my left ear. Louder some days than others.

In the early years, I used to have days with no noise - I'd wake up and be amazed at the silence.
Unfortunately, I can't remember the last day of silence - not had one for a good few years, now :(

I'm lucky, though, as I don't think it really affects my day-to-day life.

I had a scan, just days before the first Covid lockdown, and never got the results - must chase up my GP.

That started with a hearing test and they had no trouble telling which ear had the problem and the frequency of my noise.

I've been toying with trying Tinnitus Lenire Therapy - anyone here gone for that?

Soldato
Something popped up on my apple news feed last week about a possible cure but it was behind a pay wall so didn't bother looking.

Mine is variable, sometimes i have days where its a 1/10 and others where its 5-6/10. Over time though when its louder I can somehow not focus on it when watching tv which i never thought i would be able to do when i first got it. I guess my brain treats it like any other background noise like a fridge humming for example.

Soldato
Is yours unilateral? They often do a scan (although usually MRI not CT) for unilateral tinnitus
it's worse in one ear and sometimes accompanied by a rhythmic sound.. the ringing also gets louder with certain jaw movements.
super annoying

Caporegime
I can't remember if I updated.

As I health anxiety I got a private mri for my tinnitus.
I don't really mind mine too much. It's often there. And mega bad under stress. It's definitely moved around. And settled as a high pitch whine. Similar to electrical sounds you sometimes get.

It started more on one side. It also pulsed (that was grim) for a bit.

But yeah hugely linked to my anxiety/mood/amount of sleep.

Although it's here now. I only thought if it as I read the thread title

Back
Top Bottom