Titanic submersible confirmed destroyed with loss of all five souls onboard.

Soldato
One thing this whole charade has demonstrated is the awful American pronunciation of buoy. It took me quite a few days to realise that was what they meant by “boo-ee”.
I've always wondered why it's not pronounced how it looks as Boo-oi or bwoy seems like American is closest but just not quite there, making the u silent is odd, because if you say look at the boy in the water are people going to looking for a boy or a buoy ?

Suspended
The fact that people are believing the boeing used CF theory based on nothing more than "I'm sure I read somewhere that..." really is telling as to why as a species we're such gullible idiots.

Here's the sauce, which again just some bloke saying something:

Soldato
Interesting article suggesting the sub was making an ascent at the time of the implosion

Oh dear, that, if true, is very unfortunate. I am surprised that they may have been coming up, usually there isn't a lot of warning before an implosion.

Commissario
Ho

How past its shelf life when the planes built with CF last 20 years?
Probably like a lot of things, it's not stable long term until something happens to "fix" them, or they lose some degree of a required property if left unused.

A lot of epoxies and the like might have relatively short shelf lives for the constituent pre-cursers/mixes with the result that they can end up brittle/not as strong when mixed after a certain time, but the end result if they're used before then might last decades.
If you ever buy things like bathroom sealant or glues you'll note that they tend to go off/become harder to work with past their expiry date or if stored incorrectly.

My brother in law works with plastics for example and IIRC if the granules or some of the additives they use are not stored properly/left too long they do things like absorb moisture from the air which can have a very bad effect on the strength of the resulting mixture (from memory with the stuff he usually works with it results in the plastic ending up "softer" than it should be, if they know in advance they can correct for it to a degree, but he's making stuff for general packaging, not food grade or structural).

Man of Honour
I have a theory about the final moments. It seems they had dropped their ballast to rise. So they knew there was a problem. Presumably the hull monitoring system had detected a problem and raised an alarm. But the hull was under extreme pressure. So as it got shallower in depth the pressure would reduce and may have opened up any micro cracks that had formed. Then wham.

Essentially their emergency procedure of rising to the surface was just as likely to accelerate the failure as removing the rods at Chernobyl did.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not really, they miss out the 2nd i.
No they really do spell it without the 2nd i

NUjMMxO.jpg

Permabanned
I've always wondered why it's not pronounced how it looks as Boo-oi or bwoy seems like American is closest but just not quite there, making the u silent is odd, because if you say look at the boy in the water are people going to looking for a boy or a buoy ?

If you were saying it to a certain ex daytime TV presenter I'd have had a hefty wager what they'd be scanning the water for ;)

Back
Top Bottom