Titanic submersible confirmed destroyed with loss of all five souls onboard.

Soldato
What were the advantages of the carbon fibre hull over other tried and tested designs?

Would the cylindrical shape not have been possible constructed from Titanium, or have been prohibitively expensive?
people seem to think titanium is stronger than steel, but it defintely isn't - is weight actually important in a submersible?

Soldato
more balast? clearly a trade off though
I think buoyancy is a factor of volume displaced. So you could make it larger in volume to counteract the extra weight of steel. However you now have a larger surface area for pressure to exert upon so your design needs to be stronger.

Depends on which Trade off you want

Last edited:
Soldato
If you look at the boats using titanium sphere - it's weight is offset by maybe 6 times it's volume of bouyancy material they get from (not very compressable) glass beads emedded in resin, whereas predecessors had used tanks of petrol!

Main video... :( Seeing them clamp that door closed I was like uuhhh nope!
so that guy is the female equivalent of the girl with the bathwater he gives his fans bottles of sea water from the vicinity,
I wonder why I don't watch many youtube videos.

Soldato
As well as the victims I really feel for those who went down on previous trips. The survivor’s guilt must be rough.
I posted it yesterday but I'll post again as it's pretty informative of what it was like for the customers pre dive and shows abit more of the clown show operation especially where they mention numerous issues they had to fix with the sub, it really could have been this guy who died as lucky for him, his dive to the Titanic got cancelled, the next dive was the one we all know now

edit - I see somebody else posted it again above lol

Last edited:
Caporegime
it's literally just pages of people repeating information that has been posted multiple times already so now I feel like I've wasted my time and gained no further information on this disaster

I posted it yesterday but I'll post again

stir-tea.gif

Soldato
A competent designer of pressure vessels, cylinders with hemispherical ends would if asked, prepare a check and analysis of the structural capacity and capability of the submersible.

Questions would be raised on novel features of the design, testing and certification no doubt. However it appears that when questions were asked, they were ignored or the guy was fired.

It is not rocket science, the mode of loading is easily verified and calculated. Modes of failure likewise, buckling etc. It is the fairly novel materials and connections between that are the issue

Caporegime
A competent designer of pressure vessels, cylinders with hemispherical ends would if asked, prepare a check and analysis of the structural capacity and capability of the submersible.

Questions would be raised on novel features of the design, testing and certification no doubt. However it appears that when questions were asked, they were ignored or the guy was fired.

It is not rocket science, the mode of loading is easily verified and calculated. Modes of failure likewise, buckling etc. It is the fairly novel materials and connections between that are the issue

Not only that but the whole cavalier attitude surrounding this thing. The way this project was handled was like someone building a bicycle in a shed. The vids and stuff coming out are truly astonishing, one chap in a vid posted earlier in this thread had footage of him being weighed before the dive, in someone's living room, on a scale you could probably buy at Argos, on a carpet.

Like I've said before in this thread, each of these little things on their own don't really pose a problem, but when all viewed together it paints a picture of an extremely concerning nature, to the point that I've now lost sympathy for most of the occupants as they should've clocked from a mile off that this was a disaster waiting to happen.

Soldato
I posted it yesterday but I'll post again as it's pretty informative of what it was like for the customers pre dive and shows abit more of the clown show operation especially where they mention numerous issues they had to fix with the sub, it really could have been this guy who died as lucky for him, his dive to the Titanic got cancelled, the next dive was the one we all know now

edit - I see somebody else posted it again above lol
Anyone else get a dose of the Barry Goldberg's from that guy?

Soldato
Main video... :( Seeing them clamp that door closed I was like uuhhh nope!

Lol can’t believe there are so many people voluntarily going into that thing. I understand if BBC or NBC send you in. But fee paying willing lab rate just LOL. Shame this death trap can only kill 5 morons at a time

Back
Top Bottom