Titanic submersible confirmed destroyed with loss of all five souls onboard.

Soldato
Rush thought the risks were manageable, materials design has moved on so there should be scope for evolution from designs of the 60's,
commercializing the platforms to allow more passengers seems logical , like Branson.
How do you protect participants from themselves - it's like commercialization of everest attempts, or even those that were visiting the new zealand volcanoe when that exploded,
both groups maybe naive from the viewpoint of some experts, but how much can you mollycoddle people.

I expect the Canadians will be demanding R&D documentation, structural analysis from OceanGate , to see if they lied say like folks who recommended insulation for Grenfell.

Soldato
Short of being lowered into a live volcano, deep sea exploration is the harshest operating environment on earth for humans.

Very few materials and designs are appropriate sub 1km let alone 4km deep.

What Ocean Gate were doing was not innovation.

Even space exploration is more accommodating for humans.
The sub has been down 3 times to that depth so I would say the material was able to sustain the pressure. But for how long and repetition is another thing.

Technically you can make a sub out a rock and it will survive the trip but no one would say that’s the best material to build a sub out of!

It’s all relative.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The sub has been down 3 times to that depth so I would say the material was able to sustain the pressure. But for how long and repetition is another thing.

Technically you can make a sub out a rock and it will survive the trip but no one would say that’s the best material to build a sub out of!

It’s all relative.

We don't even know if it was the CF that failed although it is the most likely one. It could have been due to having 3 different materials making up the pressure hull or even the porthole. All will be revealed soon enough however.

Last edited:
Soldato
We don't even know if it was the CF that failed although it is the most likely one. It could have been due to having 3 different materials making up the pressure hull or even the porthole. All will be revealed soon enough however.
Hard to say but money is where CF failed.

Who knows. Anyway it is definitely a lesson for future vehicles.

For the whole saga, the company shouldn’t be offering trips for people. So much unknown/unmanaged risks. They should have done unmanned trips many times and when they know everything about it then go down with people.

Sending peole in as labrats and make money is just wrong. Even if you are the maker of the thing and have no regard for your own life.

Last edited:
Soldato
Especially ones who took dividends in Thames Water :)
One of the major shareholder is university superannuation fund. Which provides pension for a number of universities in the country…

Water should not have been privatised and certainly not privatised to a state of monopoly with no competitive market pressure.

Good old Maggie strikes again

Soldato
One of the major shareholder is university superannuation fund. Which provides pension for a number of universities in the country…

Water should not have been privatised and certainly not privatised to a state of monopoly with no competitive market pressure.

Good old Maggie strikes again

100% this, yet half our country seems hellbent on voting for people who want to privatise absolutely everything.

When will people learn it's only ever going to end the same way as Thames Water, i.e. with a drastically ruined service we as the public let go into private hands, and all of our money being siphoned off into a few individuals bank accounts.

You'd have to be crazy to vote tory ever again unless you want to see nothing on this Earth being owned by the people, for the people, ever again.

Look at the endless array of EU countries with public services, they are doing amazing with a high quality service.

So, with all that in mind, all the billionaires into my new sub I built in my garage! its fineeeeeeee doesn't need testing!!! :D

Soldato
The issue with the shape of the 'pipe'. They get buckling under pressure. All you need is a very tiny area of weak point or a very very very slight out-of-shape (not a perfect circle) it'll buckle easily.

With a sphere shape, it won't buckle even if it's not perfectly sphere shape.

I'm sure someone here posted a video of a pipe in a water pressure chamber and it got buckled. It was a perfect example.

With me being armchair expert, 2 main factors are the material and the shape.

Soldato
If you squeeze enough billionaires into the sub it’ll act against the external pressure making it more likely to survive*

*kaiowas marine enterprises make so guarantee as the survival prospect for the compressed billionaires.

Soldato
If you squeeze enough billionaires into the sub it’ll act against the external pressure making it more likely to survive*

*kaiowas marine enterprises make so guarantee as the survival prospect for the compressed billionaires.

It's about time billionaires felt the squeeze, just like the rest of us struggling to just pay our bills!

Soldato
Canadian pension fund is one of thames's biggest ie abroad

... Seems OceanGate is not alone - maybe a few businesses will ....
In April 2019, Karl Stanley, who runs his own deep-sea exploration company in Honduras, took a 12,000-foot plunge inside the Titan off the coast of the Bahamas and said he heard a large cracking sound during the two-hour dive.
53011713187_2a0212a809_o_d.jpg

Soldato
The issue with the shape of the 'pipe'. They get buckling under pressure. All you need is a very tiny area of weak point or a very very very slight out-of-shape (not a perfect circle) it'll buckle easily.

With a sphere shape, it won't buckle even if it's not perfectly sphere shape.

I'm sure someone here posted a video of a pipe in a water pressure chamber and it got buckled. It was a perfect example.

With me being armchair expert, 2 main factors are the material and the shape.
A sphere will still buckle if the stresses of the materials are exceeded.

Tube is inefficiency design from pure stress and strain perspective when come compared with a sphere in this particular application.

It doesn’t mean a tube can’t be made to work.

Our military subs are all tube designs. Pressure vessel otherwise known.

Soldato
A sphere will still buckle if the stresses of the materials are exceeded.

Tube is inefficiency design from pure stress and strain perspective when come compared with a sphere in this particular application.

It doesn’t mean a tube can’t be made to work.

Our military subs are all tube designs. Pressure vessel otherwise known.

Of course but making a tube is much harder to build a perfectly round, especially with a stripe of CF material wrapped up. I just find this bizarre way to build even James Cameron said he thought it was a bad design.

Military subs are designed up to 300m, not 4000m . Big difference in pressure wise.

Soldato
Of course but making a tube is much harder to build a perfectly round, especially with a stripe of CF material wrapped up. I just find this bizarre way to build even James Cameron said he thought it was a bad design.

Military subs are designed up to 300m, not 4000m . Big difference in pressure wise.
James Cameron doesn’t have a degree in materials…he is not the world authority on materials…last I checked he s not on any scientific research board. So I will take his words as opinion only.

Tube can be made work at depth, you just need to make sure materials are capable of it. Ofc you ain’t wrong in that imperfection will cause stress build up and thus failure points. But tube vs sphere are moot arguement cos it is actually hard to make a perfect sphere. Much much harder to make perfect. But it is less prone to those high stress points. Where tube is cheaper to make clearly and more space/practicality but more susceptible to stress build up.

To say one isn’t suitable whistle another is - too broad brushed.

with thick enough CF wrap and cross weaved sheets and high level of QC. I am sure you can match the level of performance. Just cost a lot then and negates the point of using tube design from commercial perspective.

Soldato
News coming out now that Boeing, Nasa and the university Rush claimed to have worked with on the sub have all denied they ever did - Nasa said they had a couple of video calls / consultations but never took part in the subs design or advised on the subs design.

It seems Stockton was lying about that.......

Soldato
News coming out now that Boeing, Nasa and the university Rush claimed to have worked with on the sub have all denied they ever did - Nasa said they had a couple of video calls / consultations but never took part in the subs design or advised on the subs design.

It seems Stockton was lying about that.......
Even if NASA et al just did a small bit of consultation that fed into the design or design process directly or indirectly , that would be enough to claim as he did,
Rush had also claimed that the Titan was designed with collaboration from NASA, the University of Washington and Boeing

Its all BS anyway, of course everyone is going to distance themselves.. but had it been some huge success in the long term , they’d probably have Oceangate listed in their own marketing material as companies they’d helped.. that’s how all that crap works..

Soldato
James Cameron doesn’t have a degree in materials…he is not the world authority on materials…last I checked he s not on any scientific research board. So I will take his words as opinion only.

Tube can be made work at depth, you just need to make sure materials are capable of it. Ofc you ain’t wrong in that imperfection will cause stress build up and thus failure points. But tube vs sphere are moot arguement cos it is actually hard to make a perfect sphere. Much much harder to make perfect. But it is less prone to those high stress points. Where tube is cheaper to make clearly and more space/practicality but more susceptible to stress build up.

To say one isn’t suitable whistle another is - too broad brushed.

with thick enough CF wrap and cross weaved sheets and high level of QC. I am sure you can match the level of performance. Just cost a lot then and negates the point of using tube design from commercial perspective.

Sorry but your comments on James Cameron, and from your perspective his limited expertise and thus limited contribution to Deep Sea exploration shows that you have not really spent any time looking into this.

He is well recognised as one of the world authorities on this and has been for a long time.

He, along with the others were all unified in the material and design limitations.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom