Titanic submersible confirmed destroyed with loss of all five souls onboard.

Permabanned
Guessing it's teeth?

Not even that according to one "expert" in here:

"Essentially yes - almost everything atomised - it essentially had to survive being squashed in all directions by hundreds of thousands of tons of force, and the pressure cooked at 5000 degrees celsius, and then blown up again at thousands of miles per hour once the implosion bounced back out a few feet.

Basically, not much left, except hardy parts like titanium lumps of metal - the rear of the sub was likely protected by the titanium end cap, and blown away when it happened."

So they think they have filtered human atoms from the depths of the Atlantic search area. Interesting....

Soldato
I reckon the problem in finding large pieces is more down to the 5 inch CF shell turning into shrapnel and being briefly pancaked into the gas void where the people were. Bit like a blender on pulse.

If it was a titanium ball with a leak I would bet a recognisable body would be recovered inside it no matter what the pressure stabilised at.

Man of Honour
Not even that according to one "expert" in here:

"Essentially yes - almost everything atomised - it essentially had to survive being squashed in all directions by hundreds of thousands of tons of force, and the pressure cooked at 5000 degrees celsius, and then blown up again at thousands of miles per hour once the implosion bounced back out a few feet.

Basically, not much left, except hardy parts like titanium lumps of metal - the rear of the sub was likely protected by the titanium end cap, and blown away when it happened."

So they think they have filtered human atoms from the depths of the Atlantic search area. Interesting....

TBH explosions/implosions and so on are funny things - you can have things utterly decimated then some part remaining basically untouched somehow (I'm guessing there is a physics explanation). Seen lots of instances of it from the Ukraine war, etc.

Caporegime
TBH explosions/implosions and so on are funny things - you can have things utterly decimated then some part remaining basically untouched somehow (I'm guessing there is a physics explanation). Seen lots of instances of it from the Ukraine war, etc.

Maybe the person in the middle got protected by all the vaporising meat so something was left in the middle. A bit like when you cook a pie in the oven but don't leave it long enough. It is still solid in the middle. Then the leftovers just got squished.

Last edited:
Soldato
So everything inside the pressurised capsule that was instantly depressurised is evaporated into molecules?

Or would there be parts say larger then a finger length?

Better than two tons per square inch is explosive when it goes.
I initially thought that it might be an end seal that had gone, but that's not really consistent with total destruction of the carbon fibre along its entire length. It starts to sound like the carbon fibre tube just failed in the middle, not just at one end.
I remember a lecture, years ago, talking about the problems with carbon fibre, and how it took the aircraft industry a while to perfect it because it kept on developing fatigue cracks. They used aircraft technology on the sub, but the thing is that the pressures on an aircraft or spacecraft are absolutely nothing compared to a deep sea trench. What's a few bars compared to four hundred? They needed to carry out very extensive testing, and by all accounts they didn't. The CEO just pig-headedly assumed everything was fine. The dangers of making assumptions in science.

Associate
I remember a lecture, years ago, talking about the problems with carbon fibre, and how it took the aircraft industry a while to perfect it because it kept on developing fatigue cracks. They used aircraft technology on the sub, but the thing is that the pressures on an aircraft or spacecraft are absolutely nothing compared to a deep sea trench. What's a few bars compared to four hundred?

Not even that much - the cabin differential of the 787 is only about 9 psi, barely 2/3 of a bar of pressure, and this is more than older aluminium fuselages to provide a lower cabin altitude and a nicer environment for the passengers.

It does have to do it for thousands of cycles though, as the Hawaiian 737 convertible found to its cost…

Soldato
Have they ceased recovering wreckage - maybe smaller carbon fibre samples were inside containers which the video'ers/by-standers did not consider important.

Soldato
I have no idea how they are going to remotely figure out the exact failure mode..

The problem with the CF Hull is if anything fails, the window, the joint to the titanium end rings, the general structure of the CF cylinder.. it'll probably just instantly shatter the CF and you lose all pertinent information.

I'm also interested in what kind of 'remains' they've found, I know Scott Manley was thinking if maybe the microSD cards may have survived in the GoPros etc.. that might give a clue, they may lack the final few milliseconds/seconds since that is generally buffered to the card, but if they did drop the weights and there is conversation about why, that might be a big help.

Soldato
Surprised how much of it they managed to recover and also in pretty short time.

You only have to watch the James Cameron documentaries published over the last 30 years, including the 2005 one with Tony Robinson that have been linked previously, to appreciate that the deep submersible tech from 1980s onwards is decades ahead of Ocean Gate.

They have very good exploratory and recovery equipment for this depth.

Presumably, so much is recoverable due to the different materials ie CF and Titanium resulting in the catastrophic failure of the CF only and how CF degrades under failure.

At least there is closure.

Last edited:
Soldato
not really decades - the other submersibles had different markets - taking samples - Titan spartan interior, screens, limited manual controls, from Musk school of design.

Soldato
not really decades - the other submersibles had different markets - taking samples - Titan spartan interior, screens, limited manual controls, from Musk school of design.

DSV Alvin was first commissioned in 1964. Whilst it has been significantly upgraded over time, it's still in service today.

Mir1and Mir2 that Cameron used for his Titanic amd deep sea expeditions were commissioned in 1989.

So yes decades ahead.

Back
Top Bottom