Titanic submersible confirmed destroyed with loss of all five souls onboard.

Man of Honour
Not sure what backout plan people are expecting, rescue at these depths is all but impossible.

Not like you can just swim down and open a hatch... wonder if there is any provision for emergency external air supply as it isn't like you can even drill into it if lost at depth to provide air resupply/filtration and recovery from that kind of depth can take a week to setup even expedited.

Associate
Not sure what backout plan people are expecting, rescue at these depths is all but impossible.

Additional systems redundancy and safety measures at a minimum. I’ve been reading quite a lot about this over the last couple of days. This really is a VERY basic platform compared to other scientific/research submersibles.

Compare this to ‘Alvin’ for example, the submersible used by Robert Ballard in 1985 when he discovered the Titanic wreck site:

I really hope there is a good outcome, however it’s not looking promising.

Man of Honour
Why though?

The controller obviously worked just fine and who knows what modifications it had.

At the moment the controller doesn’t appear to be the point of failure (they have multiple onboard as backups)

I hope they have multiple backups - would be a pretty **** way to die if a cheapy Logitech controller failed (in my experience they have a tendency to) and there was no replacement or backup system.

EDIT: Sadly even in professional settings I see a lot of people who don't weigh the severity of consequence as well as the chance of something happening when doing a risk analysis either informally or formally. And far too few people who appreciate a "two is one, one is none" mentality. I spend far too much of my day at work clearing obstructions from automatic fire shutters and escape routes, etc. because people just can't be bothered or too short sighted to bother themselves about the risks.

Last edited:
Soldato
Why though?

The controller obviously worked just fine and who knows what modifications it had.

At the moment the controller doesn’t appear to be the point of failure (they have multiple onboard as backups)
It may work fine but isn't exactly confidence inspiring. I'd expect something completely bespoke for that kind of money. To me it smacks of the general lack of thought that's gone into the project.

Soldato
What I'm surprised by perhaps even more is that someone intelligent enough to aquire billions of dollars has gone along with it all. Im honestly shocked at the complete lack of any back out plan.

I'm all for exploring and pushing the limits but this whole thing seems to have been incredibly badly planned.
Thrill seeking. The same sort of person will do all sorts of crazy stuff.

Soldato
Why though?

I'm no expert just comes across looking improvised wonder if anything else was improvised

Would like to know what other safety and stuff they have onboard if failures guess full investigation will happen and we'll know more

Last edited:
Caporegime
I hope they have multiple backups - would be a pretty **** way to die if a cheapy Logitech controller failed (in my experience they have a tendency to) and there was no replacement or backup system.

According to his video there are a few backups on board, which he doesn't show, and then flings the existing one on the sub floor to prove how tough they are. Assuming he's not talking rubbish, are they fully charged? Have they been synced to the external systems? It's not like he can just stick his hand out and start the pairing process. Assuming he's got all that covered, has Bluetooth ever been specced to work at 4km under water, through a foot of carbon fibre and titanium? What's the signal like?

To be clear, I'm not saying that he hasn't done this properly, merely that there's absolutely nothing I've seen to make me think he's done his due diligence properly. This guy screams dreamer with far too much confidence and not enough experience or education in the field.

I look forward to seeing the full investigation, I still maintain that this is a mickey mouse operation which only made it this far due to poor luck.

If I had to compare him to someone, it'd be Turbotoaster.

Caporegime
Maybe. The vessel is quite small, and made of carbon fibre I believe, not metal? It could be possible for it to fail in a way that doesn't immediately implode it. Even if it only takes a few minutes to fill, you'd know it was coming.

Carbon fibre is even worse than metal when it breaks, at least metal is malleable. CF crumble like chalk once it is past its breaking point, or in this instance, developed a weak point.

Last edited:
Soldato
Additional systems redundancy and safety measures at a minimum. I’ve been reading quite a lot about this over the last couple of days. This really is a VERY basic platform compared to other scientific/research submersibles.

Compare this to ‘Alvin’ for example, the submersible used by Robert Ballard in 1985 when he discovered the Titanic wreck site:

I really hope there is a good outcome, however it’s not looking promising.
I remember watching a lot of Titanic shows with my dad about Robert Ballard and Alvin. It was such an awesome machine. Nearly 5000 dives is mental! Sounds worlds away from this thing that's lost... What was the name of Alvin's remote control vehicle? I can't find it but i kind of remember Alvin had a partner vehicle.

Soldato
The scary thing about this is, they're sealed inside, they can only get out if people find it and release the bolts, I think that would be worse than being stuck on the bottom or crushed

You would think they would have something in place incase it got lost and was floating with only certain amount of oxygen

Back
Top Bottom