Titanic submersible confirmed destroyed with loss of all five souls onboard.

Soldato

A faint slither of hope maybe..

US media is reporting emails which say a Canadian search aircraft detected "banging" in 30-minute intervals coming from the area where the sub disappeared.

It is unclear when and how long the banging lasted.

“The P8 [seacraft] deployed sonobuoys, which reported a contact in a position close to the distress position.

"The P8 heard banging sounds in the area every 30 minutes. Four hours later additional sonar was deployed and banging was still heard.”

The Boston Coast Guard, which is leading the search and rescue effort, has declined requests for comments on the reported “banging” sounds.

Caporegime

A faint slither of hope maybe..

US media is reporting emails which say a Canadian search aircraft detected "banging" in 30-minute intervals coming from the area where the sub disappeared.

It is unclear when and how long the banging lasted.

“The P8 [seacraft] deployed sonobuoys, which reported a contact in a position close to the distress position.

"The P8 heard banging sounds in the area every 30 minutes. Four hours later additional sonar was deployed and banging was still heard.”

The Boston Coast Guard, which is leading the search and rescue effort, has declined requests for comments on the reported “banging” sounds.

Here's hoping.

Soldato
Not sure what to think on the reports of banging noises…

Part of me thinks “great they’re still alive”

On the other hand, if the ROVs can’t find them - the idea of them slowly choking to death in the cold pitch blackness 4Km under the sea beyond any realistic chance of rescue, sounds beyond horrendous..

Man of Honour
Yeah dunno what to make of it but seems to have resulted in a change in the SAR operation unfortunately trying to discern anything from publicly available ship and aircraft tracking is just fumbling about in the dark.

Soldato
Yeah dunno what to make of it but seems to have resulted in a change in the SAR operation unfortunately trying to discern anything from publicly available ship and aircraft tracking is just fumbling about in the dark.

Apparently the US navy have an ROV on site, which is the one they used to recover the crashed F35 from the South China Sea, in 3700M of water.

Apparently it has manipulator arms that could be used to free it, move it or attach a lifting line so it could be winched to the surface.

How the hell they physically find it though, I doubt they can easily triangulate it from the banging, maybe active sonar?

Soldato
Dunno whether that timeline for them running out of air is also taking into account how long it would take for the buildup of carbon dioxide to reach lethal levels if the scrubber system isn’t working.

Last edited:
Soldato
Who would have thought that a £250k ticket was doing things on the "cheap" :D
Considering the scale of the operation the the $250k cost, $1m per trip for the ship doesn't seem like that much in the scale of things.

It literally was a sinking timebomb. Lucky that the first load of dives went without issue, but the structure no doubt suffered and weakened with repeated dives until.... Yeah.
I guess these knocking noises suggest it's intact though but the updates today will be interesting. It is however the worst case scenario for those on board, stuck at the bottom with no chance of being rescued.

Caporegime
I hope it was quick / instantaneous like a decompression, rather than a slow suffocation with them all losing their minds down there.

Utterly awful and another reason I would never have the balls to do this, but then I get a bit nervous just going through the channel tunnel.

Associate
We've had militaries killing each other for over a decade using PS4 and Xbox controllers why is everyone getting hung up on this one.

Because unlike killing people from a safe distance remotely where if a controller fails it's not a big deal, unlike being surrounded by water miles down under insane pressures where any bad failures has a high chance of resulting in your death. As long as they have a backup it's fine, but no way would I trust my life to a cheap controller without adequate backups.

Soldato
Because unlike killing people from a safe distance remotely where if a controller fails it's not a big deal, unlike being surrounded by water miles down under insane pressures where any bad failures has a high chance of resulting in your death. As long as they have a backup it's fine, but no way would I trust my life to a cheap controller without adequate backups.

It would have been fine if the controller was wired at the very least.

Man of Honour
but no way would I trust my life to a cheap controller without adequate backups.

I've seen the plugs just disintegrate on almost new Logitech peripherals before LOL they are mostly made to a cost and while they might be adequate for this purpose with backups on hand certainly not something I'd want to trust my life on. It isn't even hard to make a bespoke USB (for example https://asf.microchip.com/docs/latest/asf_usb.html ) or Bluetooth controller and anyone developing something like this with the rigours required so as to be able to assess the suitability definitely should have the expertise to be able to do that, which would enable production of something robust from the ground up (not like you even need special manufacturing techniques in this instance to build something with high reliability and specifically suited to the job - pretty much everything can be purchased off the shelf with aerospace characterised components - of failing that at least automotive).

Last edited:
Soldato
It would have been fine if the controller was wired at the very least.

I'd be surprised if the controller is the only method of control - presumably the controls would be mirrored on the laptop or a touch screen etc so I don't see why it matters what sort of controller

Man of Honour
I'd be surprised if the controller is the only method of control - presumably the controls would be mirrored on the laptop or a touch screen etc so I don't see why it matters what sort of controller

You'd hope so, but some of the stories coming out, not easily verified at this point, aren't inspiring.

Soldato

Nothing to tell us otherwise. The controller is the only method to control that sub. In the media interviews, the CEO gave a view inside the sub and there were no other controls. Just a green button at the top right at the back, and two screens + the controller. That's it.

Man of Honour
Because they all know better than the people that actually designed the sub. You've been here long enough surely to know these boards hold experts in EVERY subject

Hey, I once captained my own handmade submarine to the bottom of the sea!

Reality: I once ate a footlong sub sandwich.

Back
Top Bottom