Titanic submersible confirmed destroyed with loss of all five souls onboard.

Soldato
Just did a quick Google search and some articles implied there are also touch screen controls but doesn't say exactly what.

Would make sense the controller is primary control as is analogue so to speak therefore more precise but I'd be amazed if some similar controls were not also mirrored on touch screens - no idea for sure either way though

Nothing to tell us otherwise. The controller is the only method to control that sub. In the media interviews, the CEO gave a view inside the sub and there were no other controls. Just a green button at the top right at the back, and two screens + the controller. That's it.

Soldato
The safety is not in controls, rather it's in surfacing. There are multiple ways the craft can surface, including manually operated ways. This is what makes me think that the sub imploded.

My complete guess yesterday was that it imploded on way down or it had something like a complete power loss. Based on the news of some of the noises heard this morning maybe there was a power loss.

Man of Honour
Was it mentioned if they took any provisions down with them? Not that it makes a big difference, I just wondered..

Given it would be a race between dehydration and suffocation not much point and you can go for weeks without food in a survival situation especially if just sitting around.

Caporegime
'Banging sounds' heard in 30-minute intervals - US media
Shortly after midnight local time in Newfoundland, Canada, the first reports emerged of potential signs of hope.

Two US media outlets reported a leaked internal memo sent to the US Deparment of Homeland Security.

This said a Canadian aircraft had detected underwater "banging sounds" in 30-minute intervals coming from the search area.

"The P8 [seacraft] heard banging sounds in the area every 30 minutes. Four hours later additional sonar was deployed and banging was still heard," Rolling Stone magazine reported the email as saying.

CNN also reported an internal update sent Tuesday night, which suggested more sounds were picked up.

“Additional acoustic feedback was heard and will assist in vectoring surface assets and also indicating continued hope of survivors,” said the second memo according to CNN's report.

An hour after the media reports, the US Coast Guard confirmed that a Canadian search aircraft had picked up "underwater noises".

Soldato
My complete guess yesterday was that it imploded on way down or it had something like a complete power loss. Based on the news of some of the noises heard this morning maybe there was a power loss.

What I don't get with the power loss theory is why they didn't surface. I suppose it's possible they were close to the bottom and with the power loss it drifted and got stuck before they had the sense to activate any of the emergency surfacing procedures?

Caporegime
Banging sounds. Still like looking for a needle in a haystack. Hopefully they had an emergency 'quick option'.

There is no emergency quick option. The sub can only be opened from outside, and it has no emergency lifesaving equipment. If they're stuck, they're dead once the oxygen is gone, it's as simple as that.

Man of Honour
An interesting discussion on the construction and skill level of the company that built this craft.

The CEO, in his own words, didn't want to hire fifty year old white men (who would be ex military submarine experts) because he wanted to hire younger people who could be inspirational and be inspired. So there appears to have been a real lack of subject matter experts with deep experience hired by the company. I don't care what colour or gender he hires. But to avoid hiring people with many years of experience is looking for disaster

Last edited:
Soldato
An interesting discussion on the construction and skill level of the company that built this craft.

The CEO, in his own words, didn't want to hire fifty year old white men (who would be ex military submarine experts) because he wanted to hire younger people who could be inspirational and be inspired. So there appears to have been a real lack of subject matter experts with deep experience hired by the company. I don't care what colour or gender he hires. But to avoid hiring people with many years of experience is looking for disaster

Posted already - #510

But yeah, interesting video.

Associate

Go Woke, Go Broke? At the bottom of the Atlantic?

Soldato
You'd hope so, but some of the stories coming out, not easily verified at this point, aren't inspiring.
On the documentary you can see when they had 'issues' with the controller and there was a door that opens up to a crapload of electronics and stuff, definitely more control than a single button and one controller, they also only managed to bodge it with contact from the top although this Stockton guy wasnt on board the sub at that time. I'd guess they are just sat on the bottom with no power, the dissolvable stuff hasn't worked so maybe snagged.

Back
Top Bottom