Titanic submersible confirmed destroyed with loss of all five souls onboard.

Soldato
We've had militaries killing each other for over a decade using PS4 and Xbox controllers why is everyone getting hung up on this one.
I think it because people associate anything gaming as low quality (which can sometime be true).
If their compliants where focused on the fact that it is from an older generation or that it is a 3rd party one (TBF some people have picked up on this) then they would have a point.

It is false to assume that a custom controller would be more reliable than an off the shelf gaming controller. Low volume stuff can have a lot part to part variability. However the actual components that make up the controller like buttons and joysticks will probably come from the exact same factory that spits out the components for gaming controllers anyway.

Also gaming controllers (at least the first party ones) are quite reliable. Sony Sold 106 million PS4. That's at least 106 million PS4 controllers that exist. Assuming people only played their PS4 for 20 hours, that is 214 million hours of real world testing. A 1% failure rate is 1 million unhappy users.

Man of Honour
Banging sounds. Still like looking for a needle in a haystack. Hopefully they had an emergency 'quick option'.

Depends how deep - a Poseidon can locate a submarine under 100s of metres of water just by someone walking heavily :s but probably more difficult if it is in the range of 1000s of metres under.

Soldato
The CEO, in his own words, didn't want to hire fifty year old white men (who would be ex military submarine experts) because he wanted to hire younger people who could be inspirational and be inspired. So there appears to have been a real lack of subject matter experts with deep experience hired by the company. I don't care what colour or gender he hires. But to avoid hiring people with many years of experience is looking for disaster

Imo on it's own that's not such a big deal but not having it properly certified by 3rd party after your own people tell you to do so is an issue. At the end of the day we're just speculating, for all we know none of these things being brought up would have actually prevented what went wrong down there.

It's getting more and more unlikely but I do hope they can somehow save them.

Soldato
OP
There has not been any info on these dissolvable ballast weights as far as I can see?

If they are alive (banging heard) then how long till these weights dissolve and they start to come up on their own (assuming they are not snagged)?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
There has not been any info on these dissolvable ballast weights as far as I can see?

If they are alive (banging heard) then how long till these weights dissolve and they start to come up on their own (assuming they are not trapped)?
They should have long detached by now, 16 hours in seawater I think was the quoted time for the fixings to dissolve.

Soldato

If they are alive (banging heard) then how long till these weights dissolve and they start to come up on their own (assuming they are not snagged)?
I think that this would have already happened tbh. They would never expect the sub to be down this long in any case apart from a life threating one

Soldato
An interesting discussion on the construction and skill level of the company that built this craft.

The CEO, in his own words, didn't want to hire fifty year old white men (who would be ex military submarine experts) because he wanted to hire younger people who could be inspirational and be inspired. So there appears to have been a real lack of subject matter experts with deep experience hired by the company. I don't care what colour or gender he hires. But to avoid hiring people with many years of experience is looking for disaster

Most of the video is ridiculous, but one thing I did find very disturbing is the joint between the carbon fibre and the titanium. One air bubble in that and you have very seriously compromised the strength of the entire craft. And yet they applied the epoxy by hand and by the look of it without the pressure to remove the air.

Last edited:
Suspended

This is what I've been saying since my first post in this thread, this guy is absolutely delusional and a narcissist. More and more evidence is surfacing (!) of him ignoring warning and pleas regarding this craft and the dangers comes with, and he's just ignored them all repeatedly and done it anyway. I'm a fairly good judge of character and I know these people well. As mentioned before, the last time I saw this level of stupidity and delusion was Turbotaster and his Elise, which caught fire numerous times and tried to kill him twice. He didn't even have a fire extinguisher on board, despite the fires. This this submersible bloke is exactly the same.

People mention these dissaolvable ballasts, I'll put money on them not being on the craft at all, because "they won't be needed, this thing is perfectly safe".

Soldato
On the documentary you can see when they had 'issues' with the controller and there was a door that opens up to a crapload of electronics and stuff, definitely more control than a single button and one controller, they also only managed to bodge it with contact from the top although this Stockton guy wasnt on board the sub at that time. I'd guess they are just sat on the bottom with no power, the dissolvable stuff hasn't worked so maybe snagged.

Haven't seen the video yet, was there any backup mechanical controls to manoeuvre the sub?

Caporegime
The CEO, in his own words, didn't want to hire fifty year old white men (who would be ex military submarine experts) because he wanted to hire younger people who could be inspirational and be inspired.

Pretty sure that's just a euphemism for 'cheaper.' He didn't want the experienced old guys because he'd have to pay them properly.

Haven't seen the video yet, was there any backup mechanical controls to manoeuvre the sub?

No.

Last edited:
Soldato
Pretty sure that's just a euphemism for 'cheaper.' He didn't want the old guys experienced because he'd have to pay them properly.

You’d be correct in that assumption.

Motivated young fold learning on the job is fine providing there’s cadre of experienced folks looking over their shoulders at all times.

Obviously, that approach works great when the worst outcome of a rookie mistake is someone getting their Big Mac without pickles. For businesses operating aircraft, spacecraft and anything that goes out on the open ocean, not so much.

Back
Top Bottom