Titanic submersible confirmed destroyed with loss of all five souls onboard.

Soldato
the arrival of a long cable (to go on what ship ?) and start of rov survey near titanic were discussed on r4 pm
with the fear that like earlier incident debris falling off titanic had trapped them.

[
Maybe all this man power and gear can be diverted to help find Maddie?
I thought the forum had already diverted the useless UK team who looked for Bully to that lake scan
]

Caporegime
I could easily see a situation where they've skimped on the O2 and know for sure that it was over hours ago but can't obviously admit to it. If that's the case then it may even be feasible that they know where it is but can't say as then it would be investigated by third parties and anything amiss would be rather obvious.

Probably just incompetence, but society's been weird lately so I'm not quite capable of parking this insane thought in the garbage bin.

Soldato
Wonder if maintenance was kept up on the craft could have well just buckled due to many expeditions down.

It's quite possible you know - apparently parts of the pressure vessel are carbon fibre and not entirely steel, which is worrying if true as each time carbon fibre is stressed, it changes its properties - and weakens it - the fibres rub past each other as it compresses and decompresses removing strength, as iv read somewhere, carbon fibre can fail in strange, unusual ways that are never the same.

If this is the case, the crew have been dead for days......... and 1 hour 45 mins into the dive they would have been at stressful depths.

Soldato
Soldato
Morbid question, assume they are still alive & decide it's time to start reducing the numbers of crew.....how would they do that down there with little options? But then, would it even work? Because I'd assume a decaying body would take up some oxygen too, and really, how much longer would the air last if there was just 1 or 2 of them?

Caporegime
It's quite possible you know - apparently parts of the pressure vessel are carbon fibre and not entirely steel, which is worrying if true as each time carbon fibre is stressed, it changes its properties - and weakens it - the fibres rub past each other as it compresses and decompresses removing strength, as iv read somewhere, carbon fibre can fail in strange, unusual ways that are never the same.

If this is the case, the crew have been dead for days......... and 1 hour 45 mins into the dive they would have been at stressful depths.

I could well be talking tosh here but I seem to recall reading that CF is quite poor at handling repeated stresses and actually goes quite soft after a while. Imagine being in that thing and it starts slowly deforming :eek:

Associate
I always remember wathcing the film black sea 2014 when some sea salvager blokes have to extract gold from an old sunken german uboat under the sea.

They find the insides of the sub perfectly intact, except the fact they found the german crew had run out of food and resorted to cannibalism .

Now not saying this would have happened in the titans case....but when oxegen levels are low and you are out of food and sanity,..... the mind makes a man do terrible things :eek:

Last edited:
Soldato
I could well be talking tosh here but I seem to recall reading that CF is quite poor at handling repeated stresses and actually goes quite soft after a while. Imagine being in that thing and it starts slowly deforming :eek:

Yeah I have read similar things, it's amazing stuff *one* time, there is a reason F1 car bodies rarely last more than a couple of races & have several replacements handy.

Once CF goes, it's gone, literally as useful as a wet flannel.....also it's only strong in one direction (of the stitching), once you get forces in any other direction, its very weak, something similar to plaster like you put on broken arms.

Soldato
There are some pretty disrespectful comments in this thread. Some of you should be pretty ashamed, these guys have familes.

I couldn't imagine having to speak to my son like the father and son would have had to if of course they were/are still alive.

It would almost be better that the sub just imploded very quickly.

Associate
There are some pretty disrespectful comments in this thread. Some of you should be pretty ashamed, these guys have familes.

I couldn't imagine having to speak to my son like the father and son would have had to if of course they were/are still alive.

It would almost be better that the sub just imploded very quickly.

Welcome to the Internet - enjoy your stay.

Back
Top Bottom