Titanic submersible confirmed destroyed with loss of all five souls onboard.

Soldato
I’m not sure that’s anything more than a coincidence. Sharks can only go down to about 3000 meters. Since the sub lost contact at 1h45m and it takes 2hrs to get to the titanic - I suspect they were past 3000m.

Sharks of different species can exist at any depth, in fact there was one filmed at the bottom of the deepest point on Earth. But some sharks that can exist near the surface can go well below 3000m, depends, but yeah loads of species can go far below that.

Caporegime
I was hoping there was a slim chance the sub would be found stricken and recovered, or has been on the surface all this time. If the debris field is indeed from the Titan, hopefully it's from the result of the sub imploding where those inside would have not felt their demise.

:(

Caporegime
hardly built in a shed

NASA helped build the thing :cry:
The design was "unconventional" in the same way that Musk's Starship launchpad was "unconventional". And just as certified for the task :p One guy was fired for raising safety concerns. He specifically said that the carbon fibre hull showed signs of fatigue and cyclic stress, and was ignored.

Compare this vehicle to the Limiting Factor, and the different design philosophies are plain to see. I have no idea what the budgets for either vehicle were. But one did things the right way, and was fully certified to any ocean depth; the other is now a grave.

Soldato
From what I’ve read of the mechanics of an implosion under that sort of pressure. In addition to the trauma of being instantaneously crushed by the hull, you’re also simultaneously immolated by an atmosphere that’s igniting due to the speed of compression, much in the same way a diesel engine works. So you get to die in a couple of different ways, all at the same time.

Last edited:
Caporegime
From what I’ve read of the mechanics of an implosion under that sort of pressure. In addition to the trauma of being instantaneously crushed by the hull, you’re also simultaneously immolated by an atmosphere that’s igniting due to the speed of compression, much in the same way a diesel engine works. So you get to die in a couple of different ways, all at the same time.
With water moving at speeds faster than supersonic. Imagine a supersonic pressure washer! Fortunately you don't know about any of it, which is undoubtedly better than the other possible death scenario.

Soldato
This terrible saga brings back strong memories for MH370. For me, that brought stark realisation of just how far we are behind technologically than I'd originally assumed. We couldn't find a 60x60 metre plane that was pinging location right into the ocean using the technology of the worlds best.

With that in mind, I have no idea how we'd ever find Titan. The fact this thing has no fully redundant tracking beacon is the worst of the many failures.

The problem was that MH370 wasn't pinging its location. The only data they had was the relatively infrequent telemetric data from the engines and then some creative doppler shift evaluation to try and improve the quality of the data.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
The experience of a lifetime :S

Soldato
At least they didn't know anything about it. Shame the bodger didn't listen to advice, he would have known the carbon fibre hull was a once only dive really. Made me think about his 'hull monitoring system' fat lot of good that was, which was surely only any good to a certain depth. When you are deep enough that a fault with the hull means instant implosion seems a pointless feature.

Soldato
Hopefully we'll get more information on the workings and how they operated regarding checks etc now full investigation should be happening with not having to certify so not giving information

Soldato
At least they didn't know anything about it. Shame the bodger didn't listen to advice, he would have known the carbon fibre hull was a once only dive really. Made me think about his 'hull monitoring system' fat lot of good that was, which was surely only any good to a certain depth. When you are deep enough that a fault with the hull means instant implosion seems a pointless feature.
Maybe that is what he meant by Hull Monitoring System?

A bit like how an airline has a "water landing warning system" i.e. when your feet are wet

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom