Tom Hardy to Star in 'Venom'

Soldato
This any good ?

If youve got a spare evening, use meerkat movies to bring the cost down and dont go in expecting a future classic then yeah its not bad at all. I would have preferred if it got a bit darker, rather than aiming for a deadpool style comedy. But venom is a cool character and its good to see him get screentime.

Soldato
Can't believe the ***** gimped it in order to get a PG13 certificate though.

The problem is that that sort of thing can totally change the tone of the film. In the Daredevil movie, Foggy was supposed to be the comedy and Bullseye was supposed to be evil and menacing. By editing Foggy's role down to very little, that left Bullseye as more of a comedy villain, with Kingpin (that we saw very little of) being the main baddy.

I've got little doubt that forty minutes of cutting they had to do to get PG-13 in Venom would have dramatically changed the tone of the film and not left all the banter between Brock and Venom as being the comedy stuff, and none of the darker scenes to balance it out.

Any idea what the chances of that happening are?

It depends of those scenes were cut before visual effects were put in. It's a CGI heavy film, and to save money they might not have spent the cash to put the CGI into scenes that were cut. If that's the case, I imagine there is no directors cut as those extra 40 minutes are not visually finished. If they are planning a directors cut as a cynical ploy to make more money by doing the film everyone wanted in the first place, then I guess we could see a director's cut with all the missing stuff put back in.

Soldato
Did anyone from teh studio ever say it was to be an R rated film though?...seems its soemthing people were saying that it would be, but no one actually making the film said it would be a hard R.

Soldato
Did anyone from teh studio ever say it was to be an R rated film though?...seems its soemthing people were saying that it would be, but no one actually making the film said it would be a hard R.

I'm sure Ruben Fleischer was widely quoted as saying it would be R18 because "it wouldn't be Venom without Venom biting people's heads off". Now he's claiming he always wanted it to be PG-13 to be inclusive ie maximise profits as the studio insisted.

Soldato
Was going to see this earlier today but I started hearing the reviews and apparently its getting panned. Radio1 film reviewer gave it a bit of a boost with 2.5 out of 5 but sounds like the story is a bit incoherent with ho-hum action. Sounds of studio meddling. I was expecting it to be more 15/18 but looks like the studios wanted it more like Sam Raimi's Spiderman 3 PG 13.

Think I will wait for the download/disc release.

Any scenes in the trailers that didnt make the movie ?

Caporegime
$100m budget, so ~$250m to break even, it should at least achieve that. Despite the reviews, still reckon I will see it with the Mrs.

Is it out in the UK yet? For any one that has seen it, what is the CGI like? Still looked a bit iffy in some of the trailers.

Associate
Don't understand the PG-13 rating crap these days just to please a wider audience so kids can experience it. Logan and Deadpool done it right and were successful at the box office.

I'm scared to see if another Blade film comes around, they gonna give that a PG-13 too?

Soldato
Don't understand the PG-13 rating crap these days just to please a wider audience so kids can experience it. Logan and Deadpool done it right and were successful at the box office.

I'm scared to see if another Blade film comes around, they gonna give that a PG-13 too?

I don't understand that either. I would have thought that the success of Logan and Deadpool would give Sony more confidence to release Venom as a film aimed at an older audience and it would still do well. Clearly Sony had little faith in the man they hired to direct, to carry out his ideas, or they chickened out on releasing an R rated film. Going by what Steampunk said, he was expecting to make an R rated film, but had to change his tune once the studio decided to tie his hands.

Always makes me chuckle when studios do this, but it would seem Fox did at least learn something.

For all the **** that Fox have put out when it comes to superhero films, at least Logan and Deadpool were allowed to be more what the director signed up for, and I'm guessing, had little meddling from the studio.

I hope this film tanks and Sony might actually learn something from this; although, that is probably wishful thinking.

Back
Top Bottom