Top Boy

Associate
Good stuff as always, six episodes was a bit too short but Netflix are seemingly cutting costs all over the place so was to be expected.

Doesn’t really matter either in a show like this, the first two channel 4 seasons were the most low budget seasons and arguably the two best seasons and the reason the show became popular in the first place.

Few weird plot holes this season and it’s arguably the weakest season overall but it was still a pretty great watch.

Last edited:
Soldato
Felt a bit weak in parts

I know Dushane had lost everything but to have him panic and leave a murder scene like that just seemed dumb. He was always super calculated and this season he was moving mad.

Must be a writer strike ting. Netflix got some mandem from the ends to link up the script so they don't need to pay them mad P's init. But that Dushane and Jaq storyline be a madness still, it's just not how man's normally be moving you get me.

Associate
Started watching this from the beginning after seeing this thread.

Put the subtitles on midway thru the first episode and that helped a lot for the first 2 series.

Now I have just started the 3rd and they are speaking Jamaican Patois - which needs a translation not just subtitles ! I know its authentic and all that but half the scenes I have only a vague idea of what is being said. Presumably it gets better once our top man returns to Summerhouse ?

Innit.

Soldato
And turned off into episode 3 .

To me it’s like the producers just threw the keys of a few expensive cars and a go pro to the kids on the estate and said go make a film.

Must be an age thing .

Soldato
Finished it last night, decent enough ending, bit too short though. I don't have many complaints, they've already been touched upon with regards how Dushane was acting towards the last episode.

I did however...

jump when Sully got shot, I knew it was coming, the pacing, the slow walk, the focus on him with the backpack but it was so abrupt I physically jumped in my seat and made my wife jump too :D

Soldato
@AndyCr15 don't want to jam up the TV thread :)

With regards Sully, he fell back into his old habits this season, just like the first season, he's gone full circle. His character arc was solidly written throughout the 5 seasons and he did seem to be achieving some kind of redemption but regressed back to type and gained some acceptance of who/what he is now.

"If we're not monsters, we're food and I could never be food"

I've gone from liking (s1), to hating (s2), indifference (s3), rooting for him as the anti-hero (s4), a whole glut of character emotions. It helps Kane Robinson is acting his ass off while Ashley Walters seems to phone in half of his lines.

With regards who killed him, i'm of the view it's the irish, there is no way they got away clean from that.

Soldato
With regards who killed him, i'm of the view it's the irish, there is no way they got away clean from that.

The whole Irish sub plot was just to enable that as a twist at the end as you were supposed to think that Stefan would kill him all the way through.

Soldato
The whole Irish sub plot was just to enable that as a twist at the end as you were supposed to think that Stefan would kill him all the way through.
Tbh, I was expecting the Irish angle to pull back to Lizzie at some point for obvious reasons, i can't help but feel a larger arc was cut out, just leaving the broad strokes.

It was good to see Barry Koeghan in the show, he's popped up in a few things i've watched in the last few years and he's a cracking actor.

Last edited:
Caporegime
This season felt very rushed
yeah last season was brilliant this one felt boring unoriginal just treading water. kano has done well through out though i think jamie was the star of the show. ending was crap. just did a sopranos trying to be clever. but in a way realistic. if you going to roll in that life you are only going to end up two ways in prison or dead. enjoyed the series but last season was 6 out of 10.

Soldato
This show deserved a lot lot better than that final series I'm pretty gutted it was all so rushed.

Nothing that happened was bad but the way it was done was just so sloppy and nothing was given the time it needed to breathe and build tension and gravitas.

Last edited:
Soldato

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
This show deserved a lot lot better than that final series I'm pretty gutted it was all so rushed.

Nothing that happened was bad but the way it was done was just so sloppy and nothing was given the time it needed to breathe and build tension and gravitas.

That's what I thought too. There were some irrational and out of character behaviours which made the whole thing rushed and crude. Sad to see it go and had expected a better conclusion.

Caporegime
That's what I thought too. There were some irrational and out of character behaviours which made the whole thing rushed and crude. Sad to see it go and had expected a better conclusion.
Just caught up and I agree with this.

Almost felt like a season of two halves. I was mostly really enjoying it until the end of episode 3, but then characters made completely bizzare decisions that didn't feel true to themselves based on previous seasons

I could believe that Jac might have gotten a conscious about what she was doing, but stealing the food and then dragging keiron in to it for no reason didn't make any sense. Plus she could have just returned to work and acted like normal and nobody would have found out.

In past series I'm sure Dushane would get people to clear up murder scenes, and in this he just tried pouring some bleach and running off? Even threatening the woman who had all his money in the first place seemed like something he wouldn't necessarily do.

I'm glad Stef didn't kill Sully, but ultimately his story didn't really go anywhere.

Also weird to have Sully crying a bit when Dushane was dying, and then claim the next day that he doesn't feel anymore

Soldato
Finished this last night, did wonder how they would end it and if they would try making it not as glamorous due to the rise of mandem etc wanting to get into this lifestyle.

It was decent, not the best season but felt like a few storylines were added for the sake padding the run time out, like the Irish. Glad it did get a proper ending after being cancelled and then brought back.

Back
Top Bottom