Top Gun: Maverick

Soldato
Could see few throwbacks to part 1.

Why did maverick pick rooster when it was clear he was slow? Yea let's risk this mission with my mate's slow son.

The guy that blacked out, he should have died I mean someone should have.

Was obvious the other guy was gonna come in the end to save the day. Ending could have been better, get everyone together have a chat celebrate etc.

Caporegime
Well the fastest non-classified manned flight was mach 6.7 (X15 in 1959) and the fastest UAV on record is mach 9.6 (X43A), so for a top secret project to be aiming for mach 10 is not that much of a leap. There are other designs like Shefex aiming for Mach 11. But you're not going to eject from that and then ask for a glass of water.
I’m just surprised that he survived an ejection at Mach 11.

Also Mach 11 is 8439.96mph. Given the time and speed he was going at he would have crossed the continental United States, 2,800 miles, in less than ten minutes Yet he was supposedly somewhere in the midwestern United States When he ejected.

Permabanned

Also Mach 11 is 8439.96mph. Given the time and speed he was going at he would have crossed the continental United States, 2,800 miles, in less than ten minutes Yet he was supposedly somewhere in the midwestern United States When he ejected.
MissChief
Its a movie not an ultra realisic Documentary.
Why did you go looking for realism in a film like this?

Soldato

He did execute a long 180 mid flight though.

Permabanned
For those of us who like aviation realism, please try DCS flight simulation, very realistic Hornet and Tomcat carrier operations too.

As for the movie, its not the best but would watch again for the fun of it.

Soldato
The hardest part for me to wrap my head around was how good both Tom Cruise and Jennifer Connolly looked. I mean, it's been a while since Top Gun and Labyrinth came out.

Soldato

Well he didnt hit Mach 11.
Theirs a long film gap of last seeing him and the debrie in the sky, a plane would have massively dropped in speed and the know survived ejection was about just over Mach 1.
Theirs literally a screen filing shot of him turning to make a huge 180.

Soldato
The hardest part for me to wrap my head around was how good both Tom Cruise and Jennifer Connolly looked. I mean, it's been a while since Top Gun and Labyrinth came out.

Jennifer Connelly used to be hot, I mean she still is, but you seem requiem for a dream?

The movie is average at best but you get to see a fair amount of her, including a quite erm, memorable scene towards the end of the movie.

She was 14 in Labyrinth.

Soldato
Watched this evening - what a sequel, very good.

Goose's son - they got the resemblance spot on!

Jennifer C - don't find her attractive at all and her whole thing was shoe horned in. I had to Google who she was and if we were meant to recognise her and i spent most of the movie thinking, "what happened to Charlie?" A few minutes scenes of Tom/Jennifer chatting, "me and charlie broke up because x" and some form of explanation/background to who she is.

No Righteous Brothers, no Berlin - would have been good to hear. Maybe even Mav could have witnessed some rookies pulling the same move with a girl and give a knowing smile!

Rooster lost both parents - oooooof! Meg Ryan not want to come back?

But the story - bit flimsy, but the jet scenes were fantastic. I wonder if this will do for Naval recruiting what the original did :)

Soldato
Watched this evening - what a sequel, very good.

Goose's son - they got the resemblance spot on!

Jennifer C - don't find her attractive at all and her whole thing was shoe horned in. I had to Google who she was and if we were meant to recognise her and i spent most of the movie thinking, "what happened to Charlie?" A few minutes scenes of Tom/Jennifer chatting, "me and charlie broke up because x" and some form of explanation/background to who she is.

No Righteous Brothers, no Berlin - would have been good to hear. Maybe even Mav could have witnessed some rookies pulling the same move with a girl and give a knowing smile!

Rooster lost both parents - oooooof! Meg Ryan not want to come back?

But the story - bit flimsy, but the jet scenes were fantastic. I wonder if this will do for Naval recruiting what the original did :)
Jennifer Connolly is Penny the admiral's daughter who is referenced in the first film, Goose speaks of him getting i trouble for something to do with penny sunbathing, so i think she wasn't a terrible shoe horn.

Soldato
Jennifer Connolly is Penny the admiral's daughter who is referenced in the first film, Goose speaks of him getting i trouble for something to do with penny sunbathing, so i think she wasn't a terrible shoe horn.
Disagree, it was a throw away line from a movie from over 30 years ago. Add to this those that were not old enough/did not see the first movie - this was 100% shoe horned in with very little explanation.

Associate
Disagree, it was a throw away line from a movie from over 30 years ago. Add to this those that were not old enough/did not see the first movie - this was 100% shoe horned in with very little explanation.
Does it really matter? As you say - 30 years have passed and wasn't like he was married to the love interest in the first movie!

Back
Top Bottom