Top Gun: Maverick

Soldato
The admirals daughter isn't a shoehorn, its mentioned a couple of times in the original as part of Mavs bad boy back story. Penny's daughter knows him by name when he shows up and clearly she wasn't born at the time so it's obviously been an on off thing for years.

Soldato
The admirals daughter isn't a shoehorn, its mentioned a couple of times in the original as part of Mavs bad boy back story. Penny's daughter knows him by name when he shows up and clearly she wasn't born at the time so it's obviously been an on off thing for years.

Mentioned a couple of times 30+ years ago? I don't remember what i had for breakfast yesterday.

Charlie was a huge part of the original, so people were asking, "Where is Charlie?", no-one knew who Penny was and so people were asking, "Who the **** is she?"

Immediately after the movie there were loads on their phones googling this info and there are loads of articles, forum threads asking the same questions.

All I'm saying is, for those of us that don't have photographic memories, Maverick could have included a flashback, a conversation etc, just to clear this up.

Man of Honour
I got this as a Xmas present (the bluray, not Jennifer Connolly) and it kind of didn't seem quite as awesome second time around. Whether that's because I'm missing the big screen / sound experience of the cinema, or just the hype of waiting 35 years for a sequel having died away I don't know. Reading my review from the preview screening I gave it 8.5/10, I'd temper that to an 8 on reflection. I think you need a good setup to get the best out of it so the flight sequences are more exhilarating.

That may sound a bit negative but to put that rating in context, I don't think I've given any films more than 8/10 that were released in the past 5-10 years

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I got this as a Xmas present (the bluray, not Jennifer Connolly) and it kind of didn't seem quite as awesome second time around. Whether that's because I'm missing the big screen / sound experience of the cinema,
I've rewatched it a few times at home and I'm so glad I managed to get to see it in IMAX, it's definitely one of those films that loses a bit of the shine not being watched on the big screen.

Back
Top Bottom