Towers of Midnight

Soldato
On Crossroads of Twilight in my re-read. So long as I skim-read most of the interminable "Plot That Wouldn't Die" (Faile's capture and rescue), there's lots of Mat in it which is all good.

Best thing about CoT is the reviews on Amazon.

Q: Mr. Jordan, you've come in for a lot a criticism that your current book does not advance on the major development that concluded the last installment. How do answer your critics?

RJ: Yes, well, we all know that book 47, The Dragon Relieved, contained a major plot twist -

Q: You mean Rand urinating?

RJ: That's right. But as an author, you can never just build directly onto a moment of such consequence. I have a duty to the reader to provide full context for how a significant event like this one impacts the world as a whole. Every move that the Dragon Reborn makes has the ability to affect every other character, and in turn, each character's response to the Dragon Reborn's every action is crucial for a full understanding of how his leadership is perceived.

Q: Still, a lot of people have pointed out that you could have achieved the same result with a more succinct prologue rather than dedicating an entire novel to such a short span of time. Do you agree?

RJ: Certainly not. Perhaps if it had been a shorter **** I may have been able to accommodate such an approach but that would not have been realistic. I must stay true to the world that I have created and Rand did drink a lot of spiced wine -

Q: That was back in book 44 if I'm not mistaken?

RJ: Um . . . book 43 is where most of the actual imbibing that resulted in this urination took place. Book 44 was dedicated to the uncomfortable feeling that ensued.

Q: Ah, yes, I'm terribly sorry.

RJ: Perfectly understandable. That was almost 3000 pages ago and much has happened in between so I will forgive your indiscretion . . . once.

Q: Yes, well, um . . . you really believe the 17 second time frame was essential then?

RJ: Absolutely. When you drink that much liquid in such a short period of time anything less would be unacceptable. And let's not forget that those 17 seconds do not stand by themselves either. The thoughts, feelings, and emotions of the other characters during that 17-second pee are incredibly crucial to the future progression of the story. There are over 1900 major characters that I must account for including 900 soldiers, 500 Aed Sedai, 300 Ash'aman, 100 village councilors, 48 farmers, 37 blacksmiths, 18 millers, 10 brewers, 4 tanners, and a cobbler. I'm actually amazed that I was able to resolve the entire timeframe in just one book. Although, to be fair, if I had to level any criticism against myself it would be the fact that only one cobbler has been elevated to the status of a major character. There are a lot of people walking great distances in The Wheel of Time and it's not entirely accurate to have only one cobbler servicing their footwear.

Q: Footwear which incidentally is described in more detail in a WOT companion book entitled "Fashions of the Wheel" which is published by TOR's Pointless division and is now available for purchase.

RJ: That's right. My readers are ever hungry for more details. A lot of descriptions of boots, soles, laces (that sort of thing) that I deemed essential to the main story were removed at the insistence of my publishers. Apparently they would not have been able to print some of the novels as one volume given the current printing/binding technology and thus the companion book was born. I must say that it is a thrilling read, though, and I urge all of my fans to purchase it. It's filled with information that you will not want to miss.

Q: Mr. Jordan, back to your earlier comment. I don't believe I've ever heard you offer any self criticism before so as we wrap up, I would like to thank you on behalf of our audience for your honesty.

RJ: I said if I had to pick something. It's not specifically a criticism -

Q: But you said -

RJ: I know what I said! It's just a note really; a minor observation. Expect it to be rectified in later volumes.

Q: Well, there you have it ladies and gentlemen. You heard it hear first - Mr. Jordan will be introducing more cobblers into his massively pop . . . um . . . well, massive Wheel of Time saga. I know I can't wait. It should be very interesting. Thank you for your time, Mr. Jordan. Would you like to offer any hints on the upcoming installment to your devoted readers before we say goodbye?

RJ: No. Read and find out.

Q: I couldn't help but notice (since it comprised 48 chapters) that Elayne drank an awful lot of tea herself in book 37. Might we see that plot line picked up again soon with a similarly exciting outcome as The Dragon Relieved?

RJ: RAFO.

Q: Yes, well, perhaps that will be expanded upon in a midquel (a term copyrighted by Mr. Jordan to include a book written that takes place between two already completed and supposedly sequential books in a series). I can't thank you enough for you time. Good day.

Associate
More Fantasy and in my opinion more annoying. The series has been dragged on far too long, at least 3-4 books where absolutely nothing happened to progress the plot.

Soldato
Trying not to read any of them until I have the whole book in my hands. Just finished my re-read, gagging for the new book to arrive.

Thats my viewpoint as well, dont want to read any of the excerpts of previews till i actually have the book as i have a firm idea in my head whats going to happen and will want to see if what i envision will actually happen.

Soldato
Sweet. Will check it out.

Is it along the same sort of lines as Game Of Thrones? or more Sci-Fi stylee?

It's much more pure fantasy than GoT, more overtly magic with nasty monsters etc. has a good few morally grey storylines though which are more interesting than the rest.

Overall a great series but books 8-10 were garbage (might have got my numbers wrong a bit) which were horribly dragged out, painfully so. I feel bad saying this but what saved this series from a whimpering, limping Denise was RJ passing away and Sanderson taking over. Massive shock in the arm for the series :)

Can't wait for the last book, I want a series re read pre book but I have so much else to read I probably won't get the chance :( just glad Rand has grew a pair, best moment of the books IMO :D

Soldato
It's so weird people's different interpretations of the same events.

That is what makes them so great, there is so much detail. Such a rich world that you are not spoon fed. Also the reason that while it is far superior to Game of Thrones and even Lord of the Rings, its very complication has stopped it ever being made into a TV Series of Movie - despite several options often being taken out by major studios.

Associate
That is what makes them so great, there is so much detail. Such a rich world that you are not spoon fed. Also the reason that while it is far superior to Game of Thrones and even Lord of the Rings, its very complication has stopped it ever being made into a TV Series of Movie - despite several options often being taken out by major studios.

Superior? Never.

Associate
Superior? Never.

Proof of what I was saying :)

It's superior in my eyes to both GOT and LOTR. Although I haven't read all of GOT yet so I could yet be persuaded.

I just think that it's so in depth that you actually feel like you know the characters and that you've grown up with them.

Soldato
Before Jordan went all Tolkien on us and started adding in pointless subplots and using 5000 words to describe something that could be summed up in 10 it was easily superior to GoT (IMO).

Just starting book 10 of my re-read and not looking forward to this one and Knife of Dreams as RJ went full ramble mode unfortunately (PoD is my personal choice as most pointless book in the series though). Can’t wait until A Memory of Light is released next year, just a shame that there will be so many plot lines unresolved unless Sanderson is allowed to expand on the main story with follow on novels.

Associate
If Sanderson had taken over, oh I dunno, after about book 6, it may have become a series superior to LotR, or GOT. I think they are totally different types of books however and can't really be compared. Unfortunately i got majorly frustrated by the series, Rand is a pansy who needed to grow a pair years ago, I still have no clue what is going on with Mat and don't even get me started on the whole Faile being Kidnapped nonsense.

Associate
Just really annoyed me. The guys been beating up left right and centre, stabbed, blown up so often he should be renamed John McClane, yet he gets bossed around by granny weatherwax!

Soldato
The Faile kidnap story line help to expand the development of perrin, without it would he have come to terms with the wolf, however i do agree that it was dragged out a bit too much, over 2 books i think which only covered a few days/weeks.

Back
Top Bottom