Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
You are way too focused on big tech, which has been long overdue a correction.

Is it? In which case what is constitutes an acceptable price? For example MSFT beat earnings yet again and brings in revenue of over $140bn a year and is still growing.

What is overpriced to me are these tech companies with funded by investment capitalists and run up losses year after year. e.g. Deliveroo which 9 years old now. Uber which is 12 years old and just managed to make a small profit last year for the first time. Airbnb, Cloudflare, and ********* are some others that spring to mind. With these you aren't getting anything back in terms of dividends and instead just hoping that one day in the future of the earth they earn a profit and their stock price goes up.

Soldato
Yes, there is a huge amount of difference between Microsoft and Deliveroo. One really is Big Tech, the other is using tech to help deliver low value deliveries to people, which is a difficult business to make profitable. There has been a lot of cheap money propping up businesses that have "hard to make profitable" businesses, buyer beware. When the cheap money tap dries up, it will all end badly, but the tap has been going for years, but it can't indefinitely.

Soldato
Is it? In which case what is constitutes an acceptable price? For example MSFT beat earnings yet again and brings in revenue of over $140bn a year and is still growing.

What is overpriced to me are these tech companies with funded by investment capitalists and run up losses year after year. e.g. Deliveroo which 9 years old now. Uber which is 12 years old and just managed to make a small profit last year for the first time. Airbnb, Cloudflare, and ********* are some others that spring to mind. With these you aren't getting anything back in terms of dividends and instead just hoping that one day in the future of the earth they earn a profit and their stock price goes up.
On the contrary, if it makes a profit, you worry they have run out of good ideas to invest into. The entire reason they are sexy meme stocks is because they are disruptors. As soon as they return to traditional business measures of value, people will get turned off.

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
The Federal Reserve meeting announcement is imminent. Will be interesting to see what it says. Markets are up at the moment, but it could be bloody murder if announcement isn't favourable. i.e. need to raise rates higher/faster than expected etc.. If it comes out well though I'd expect more of a recovery.

EDIT: It was pretty favourable given what was expected. Markets are moving up.

Last edited:
Soldato
Gold is weaker as inflation is a concern is ironic as ever, overall I presume commodities continue to do well even if unpopular; best not to take things too literally.
They are all trying to anticipate future effects, my guess is the FED cannot control the economy. Raising rates without reversing all the QE is probably nonsense. The tiny rate raises they likely do dont add upto much until its accumulated at least 1% change, if they spend the whole of 2022 to do that its much ado about nothing.

Years ago I heard or read that gold rises (or appears to rise relative to $) fastest when rates are rising, contradictory as that is I think its likely true. Because the interest rates the central bank maintains is always going to be below actual inflation, when they do raise the situation is slipping out of control.

Inflation is destructive for sure, I dont know it can goto into a feedback loop but I doubt FED is in control either way; biggest fear for FED is deflation afaik and they will always side with losses to inflation.
Volcker is the last chief who would have drastically altered direction in policy, everything now is feather light appeasement to markets and bias is always inflationary.

Since we posting chart vids :p 'several decades' he aint kidding, a very long term trader. Its all about charts but also can just listen purely to his emphasis on strength/weakness mentioned as its well founded.

Every ticker is an ETF that equates to a market sector, USA but basically UK is very related

IG index

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom