Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
been a good few days i invested another 20k yesterday am to join the 10k i have in the worldwide etf i mentioned (averaged down) ,still holding a lot of cash if things go red again, i know this isn't ideal with inflation but using bonds as a backstop wasn't working for me.
Enjoying the ride tbh and learning about things stock market related ,been watching live us trading with commentary on YouTube for a while now
Its nice to hold a decent amount of cash in the account ,red days then become less painful and more of an opportunity
(Edited for weird layout of last paragraph)

Last edited:
Soldato
I bought at the worst time in Nov/ Dec, but then continued to buy early Jan, so really it's balanced out my cost. I am enjoying the T212 Pies - means they're like my own curated mini ETFs haha I have a cannabis one, energy one, big tech one, metaverse one, and a property one. I did some watching on YT and reading on sites to get the companies for each and see OK at the moment!

Soldato
Changing jobs soon, new one only providing the basic NEST pension.

I understand I can setup a SIPP and have them pay into that instead. Any recommendations? I've got Fidelity and Axa workplace pensions atm...Fidelity seems pretty decent.

Soldato
I setup my SIPP with H&L and take advantage of their free monthly savings. i.e. monthly deposits can go straight into UK listed shares, ETFs etc... without any commission charges.

Otherwise the fees are high for trading £12-16 or something silly for each transaction. It's also poor for US shares as everything gets converted into pounds making pricing more difficult to track. FX fees, and 15min delayed pricing.

Soldato
Im with vanguard so pretty much (i think ) stuck with etfs or mutuals £7.50 for a live etf trade though or free if you wait and bulk sell with others at a certain time of day been doing live as i like to know the price

Soldato
Changing jobs soon, new one only providing the basic NEST pension.

I understand I can setup a SIPP and have them pay into that instead. Any recommendations? I've got Fidelity and Axa workplace pensions atm...Fidelity seems pretty decent.

Are you sure you can get your employer to pay into an "outside" pension.

Normally that's a none starter for mid/large companies as it's WAY too much admin/hassle to do so.... I've double check that first.

NEST/employer pension is a single payment sent from the employer made up of employee/employer contributions - simple and easy. If they start paying out to every individual employees pension, that's a nightmare to deal with loads of payments for different amounts with no control over those payments.

Soldato
Are you sure you can get your employer to pay into an "outside" pension.

Normally that's a none starter for mid/large companies as it's WAY too much admin/hassle to do so.... I've double check that first.

NEST/employer pension is a single payment sent from the employer made up of employee/employer contributions - simple and easy. If they start paying out to every individual employees pension, that's a nightmare to deal with loads of payments for different amounts with no control over those payments.

Yep I've cleared it with em, small company, and they're happy to pay into whatever pension I choose.

Soldato
Should I be wary that BP is at a year high. BP is 20% Rosneft right and we're on the brink of various sanctions to impede business with Russia. Is that why POLY fell so much. Somehow thats not in the price possibly because its not a factor, BP is global not British so I dont assume just wondering as fears effect prices correct or not

Caporegime
Should I be wary that BP is at a year high. BP is 20% Rosneft right and we're on the brink of various sanctions to impede business with Russia. Is that why POLY fell so much. Somehow thats not in the price possibly because its not a factor, BP is global not British so I dont assume just wondering as fears effect prices correct or not
No. Rosneft is 20% Bp

Soldato
So the liability in any breakdown is to them not us. I understood it differently, will have to go back and read an article on it. Russia can always sell oil to China since China lacks this resource, problem is China economy is far from perfect

Last edited:
Soldato
PayPal took a battering.

The drop was because they backed out the plan that was responsible for the surge though wasn't it?

They missed their guidance a little. Drop seems a massive over-reaction. Profitable business that I understand (and use). Happy to take a punt, I'd be amazed if a drop like that doesn't bounce.

Soldato
Yep I've cleared it with em, small company, and they're happy to pay into whatever pension I choose.

Any of the main ones works fine. Depending on what you want to buy and how often you switch things/buy/sell etc.

AJ Bell/Fidelity/HL
Cheap but limited at the moment - Vanguard

Whatever floats your boat - not much between them all - they all "charge" in slightly different ways.

Soldato
I guess the screen is big enough to put movies on while you cycle, if they have the customer base (+patents) its worth something.

Oil topping out in its cycle near term while remaining reasonable year to year is worth me reducing leveraged stuff for BP and Shell. I think they are ex-div soon and I normally like to hold like JPM was ex-div and also peaking but I'll speculate now to sell/reduce them as div is within the price anyway.
They do seem to be recovering their prior value which makes them a larger part of FTSE trackers which I have so I dont need to trade them. Oil is a large part of gold mine costs so its a justified hold for me.

Back
Top Bottom