Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
Both the FED and BOE today seen positive, 'almost a victory lap' interpretation of flat rates; not sure about that but typical rally into end year and new year near crash might be how it goes

FXPO in a spot of bother, not popular their chair does a month in jail 11m bail etc. :o 3pe Russia thugs tried to assassinate BP head with heavy metals at one point, their deal still made money its all relative :p

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
That I'm at picking stocks than trackers.

The good decisions I have made were buying in extreme events. (I bought aviva after covid and these are up 70pc ish I think and paying a huge dividend of about 10-12pc (I can't work it out exactly as I have it on 2 platforms and there's more than one buy).

The bad decisions I have made have been gambling on shares in AIM.
Multiple dodgy reporting issues. Where you can tell the market knows something before it's realeased. Not doing this any more.

Buying shares in individual companies because I have been paid and not waiting for good opportunities to get in.

Completely misreading results. I was sure EZJ was going to jump at last results. Results looked great. But the shares absolutely tanked. Still can't quite explain it.
That was the nail in the coffin.

And that the sheer amount of time to do this isn't worth it either.

I know now I'm a "holder" I prefer to hold shares. So trackers are probably even better. As you need to keep up to date with individual companies otherwise.

Overall. It's the AIM stuff that's been worst.
I don't mind persimmon, I caught a falling knife. I don't expect to catch the bottom.
I still have faith in persimmon, easyjet etc. But those AIM gambles? No.

I've been watching some of the active stock threads on Asos for example and it's borderline insanity. It's like kids in a playground.

I've also learnt that motley fool you is only good for doing the opposite of. Not. Sure how that site exists! The advice is worse than neutral overall!

I think you simply fell into the same mistakes everyone does, including myself which is to buy speculative or high yielding companies, value traps etc.

Now i buy quality companies which have a high return on capital and low debt with decent growth path.

This earnings season its tough, im not worried about the price im looking entirely at the company itself. In the case of easyJet their returns on capital are low, their margins are low, historically pre-covid, getting back to covid levels is not something i would want.

Though gains from the recovery buying at oversold is pure trading, personally, i don't want to do that sort of thing or trade that much.

Caporegime
I think you simply fell into the same mistakes everyone does, including myself which is to buy speculative or high yielding companies, value traps etc.

Now i buy quality companies which have a high return on capital and low debt with decent growth path.

This earnings season its tough, im not worried about the price im looking entirely at the company itself. In the case of easyJet their returns on capital are low, their margins are low, historically pre-covid, getting back to covid levels is not something i would want.

Though gains from the recovery buying at oversold is pure trading, personally, i don't want to do that sort of thing or trade that much.

Yes.
High debt seems to be (obviously really) the real kicker right now.

I consider Aviva a high value company. Sure it's doddered around 400 for a while now but the dividend returns have been stable and great since I've owned it.

That's another reason I'm taken back by the ezj fall. They have low debt too.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes.
High debt seems to be (obviously really) the real kicker right now.

I consider Aviva a high value company. Sure it's doddered around 400 for a while now but the dividend returns have been stable and great since I've owned it.

That's another reason I'm taken back by the ezj fall. They have low debt too.
It coincides with other things that you couldn't really predict, the potential for large increases in jet fuels have led to most airline shares sliding recently for example. Aviva is a good company, its been the subject of buyout rumours recently as well with £6 a share thrown around, a bit like LGEN though, the share price never does much.

Last edited:
Soldato

You say this but the total return for the last 20 years is 173% including all dividends re-invested and so forth, according to the LSE

Nothing has changed with the basic business, nothing will change, this is not high value..

It coincides with other things that you couldn't really predict, the potential for large increases in jet fuels have led to most airline shares sliding recently for example. Aviva is a good company, its been the subject of buyout rumours recently as well with £6 a share thrown around, a bit like LGEN though, the share price never does much.

You can predict that with low returns on capital, high costs, high competition and risks like oil prices shooting up that it is a bad company and therefore will underperform the index.

Caporegime
Does the market think inflation is over or something? 2 days in a row with near double digit daily gains on rate sensitive stocks?
I've jumped nearly 10pc over the week.

Last edited:
Soldato
Does the market think inflation is over or something? 2 days in a row with near double digit daily gains on rate sensitive stocks?
I've jumped nearly 10pc over the week.
Data (Unemployment rate) has come in showing that the FED is most likely done with rate hikes.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Data (Unemployment rate) has come in showing that the FED is most likely done with rate hikes.

Think it's looking same across the eurozone.

I believe I bought these reits and house builders slightly too early. But not by much.

(if indeed this is the start of the turn)

Soldato
Reading this thread makes me log on to my ETF/Tracker account far too often.

I'm 1-2 decent trading days away from being back at my ATH, which was 21/08/23. After yesterday's green session, my account will update on Monday 5pm and I'm hoping to be back to the top.

Very very tempted to sell out and pay off my mortgage. Especially now that I won't be locking in any losses.

Soldato
weird week again last week - SIPP bounced up about £8k

First Group continue to rise and rise. Now +235% from my original purchase price. I've got a bit in Tesla/Ferrexpo/Kodal as well but they are struggling. Rest in EFT's/Funds.

Back
Top Bottom