Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Associate
I made a not so great purchase of GE shares around 5 years ago. It's take all this time to get back to where I started. I'm about £600 up. To then cover my losses I put my brave coat on and when the share price was low bought shares through my company. I only bought £5500 but they're doing OK, around £3k up. So I'll keep that latter investment as they are in a tax free wrapper.

I plan to sell my other GE shares soon, I was holding out for $120 (no idea why) and they're pretty much there. I now wish to invest that £8500 pot. I'm tempted by Nvidia at the moment but other than that what kinds of split would you think is best to do? I was thinking a mix of Nvidia, Vanguard VWRP and maybe a dividend stock (L&G or M&G). Not sure what % to put into each or if this is a great way to spread my investment. Has to be lower risk than all in GE though? Your thoughts on how to split the £8500 investment would be appreciated.

TIA

Caporegime
Hasbro are trading at a near all time low, not sure if they will ever recover as their products are deemed as old fashion and are having a difficult time modernising their IPs.

they do own some oligopoly thou.. literally monopoly (lol), d&d, wizards of the cost…

I expect their dnd franchise does alright. But tbh. You don't need much to play dnd. It's all available online.

Its not like gamesworkshop that seem to have done a crazy good job of monitising thiers stuff.

I own some GAW shares. But not keen on hasbro.

Last edited:
Soldato
I made a not so great purchase of GE shares around 5 years ago. It's take all this time to get back to where I started. I'm about £600 up. To then cover my losses I put my brave coat on and when the share price was low bought shares through my company. I only bought £5500 but they're doing OK, around £3k up. So I'll keep that latter investment as they are in a tax free wrapper.

I plan to sell my other GE shares soon, I was holding out for $120 (no idea why) and they're pretty much there. I now wish to invest that £8500 pot. I'm tempted by Nvidia at the moment but other than that what kinds of split would you think is best to do? I was thinking a mix of Nvidia, Vanguard VWRP and maybe a dividend stock (L&G or M&G). Not sure what % to put into each or if this is a great way to spread my investment. Has to be lower risk than all in GE though? Your thoughts on how to split the £8500 investment would be appreciated.

TIA
Depending on what the fx rate was when you purchase them, but the pound is weak against the dollar at the moment so in my opinion it’s worth keeping it in dollar shares. depending on your trading platform, you may get hit by fx fees on both selling and paying.

nvidia is at an all time market high because of the AI boom, but it’s up to you if you think it still has room to grow.

US companies that I’ve been looking at… hasbro (toys company), snow flake (data storage and AI) and z scaler (remote/cloud platform) are all near all time market lows.

as previously posted Hasbro is having issues modernising their business. Snow flake stores a crazy amount of raw data for AI systems to use but we all know that the current AI is just a search engine on riods. z scaler offers a way for remote workers to connect to their employees platform that I believe is unique to the market, it’s just a case if medium size business know that they need this and if large companies will take the costs to switch from traditional vpn to z scaler.

all three would take a long period of time to recover thou..

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks for the reply. I'm by no means as into the stock market as many of you on here. My thoughts ref Nvidia aren't that they'll be huge growth but I think with what they're working on they'll continue to grow and are a company I know and will hopefully continue going forward. Some of the companies you mention I know nothing about myself.

I'll set to reading a little more. I said Vanguard as hopefully the team managing that know more than I do. I mentioned a dividend stock just as a potential so all my eggs aren't in one basket. I'm unsure whether that'd be a wise idea or not. I have read that if done right I'd make more with a decent growth share than a dividend but I've not been so successful on that front to date. 8% dividend per year is way better than my £600 in 5 years :(

Soldato
Yeah go with some sort of tracker..

my investments at the moment are;
my work penison, paying an extra 7% every month so I can sneak out of to the tax band and my whole of bonus is getting placed into it this year.
I have a vanguard 60-40 stocks and shares isa,
cash isa and premium bonds ain't had any increases this year waiting till March to decide
Savings account at 5.15%
Overpaying my mortage as the interest rates are high (4.01%)
Paying for shares of my company's SAYEs plans and SIP
and I have a mess about Trading 212 account with a few Ks to mess about on Reits and individual shares to stop me messing about with my penison plan and vanguard account.. lol

Depending on the payraise in April, I may need to open a SIPP with vanguard, I would just make monthly purchases of the s&p 500 ETF tracker.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'll look into VAFTA due to the exchange rate issue. I'd seen VWRP mentioned on here before which is why I mention it. I missed the fact it is (USD).

Thanks all.
FWIW I could only find VAFTA on Fidelity. Not even Vanguard seemed to have it for some odd reason. May have changed now. Suited me as I was looking for a junior ISA.

Associate
I have to purchase through H&L as that's where the shares currently are in an ISA wrapper. I can't see the VAFTA fund through H&L. H&L might not be the best place to purchase Vanguard through but I'm stuck on that and it is what it is. Back to VWRP it is then. I just checked on the H&L VWRP page too and it states the currency is GBP. Tad confused now. VANGUARD FUNDS PLC FTSE ALL-WORLD UCITS ETF (USD) ACCUMULATING (VWRP), Currency: GBP.

Was the exchange rate mentioned due to there being a fair few US companies in this fund?

Soldato
I have to purchase through H&L as that's where the shares currently are in an ISA wrapper. I can't see the VAFTA fund through H&L. H&L might not be the best place to purchase Vanguard through but I'm stuck on that and it is what it is. Back to VWRP it is then. I just checked on the H&L VWRP page too and it states the currency is GBP. Tad confused now. VANGUARD FUNDS PLC FTSE ALL-WORLD UCITS ETF (USD) ACCUMULATING (VWRP), Currency: GBP.

Was the exchange rate mentioned due to there being a fair few US companies in this fund?

VWRL is base currency is USD, they then make separate sub-funds for other currencies.

The global all cap fund, is base currency is GBP.

However neither are hedging currency, and picking one over the other cannot be done from any perspective that includes currency, exchange rates or so.

The difference between those two funds is the difference in the index, they are not tracking the same index.

Yap my little one is up 7.33% - I selected VAFTA tho (https://www.fidelity.co.uk/factshee...all-cap-idx-gbp-acc/charges-and-key-documents)

I guess because I didn't want to get nailed on exchange rate.

You cannot get nailed on the exchange rate, VWRL is listed in GBP, thus buying via any platform does not trigger currency exchange fee's.

Yes if you buy the USD version its give or take a 1% fee on almost all brokers.

As above, those are following different indexes, i cannot say which is better, just that any difference in performance is based on the index, nothing to do with currency.

The USD version is VWRD

Last edited:
Soldato
Good news that we are allowed to pay into more that one of each of the different types of ISAs come April.

Going to open a stocks and shares isa account with T212 and tombstone my general investment account. Shame that there's not the option just to switch the account type.
They still working on the fractual shares thing but I did think be big smoke with little fire.

Also means that I can have a fixed rate cash isa for a year then if another one comes with better returns; I can open another to take advantage of the different rates and lenghts.

Associate
Good news that we are allowed to pay into more that one of each of the different types of ISAs come April.

Going to open a stocks and shares isa account with T212 and tombstone my general investment account. Shame that there's not the option just to switch the account type.
They still working on the fractual shares thing but I did think be big smoke with little fire.

Also means that I can have a fixed rate cash isa for a year then if another one comes with better returns; I can open another to take advantage of the different rates and lenghts.
Yes, the changes to do with ISAs were all surprisingly sensible . Good news for us consumers being able to flip between products during the year, will make it more competitive

Caporegime

I missed this.
In the budget?

Soldato
I missed this.
In the budget?
he didn't talk about it during his soapbox, so I'm glad I got fed up waiting and went for my jog.

it's in the autumn statement:

but there's loads of youtubers who has done videos about it if you cba to read.

Back
Top Bottom