Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

I'm glad I'm not the only one that pray to the gods of random generator..
I don't have the cash that is required to buy shares to change a companies forecast like Warren Buffett or Carl Icahn nor do I have the skills or time to sit there and do fundamentals.

a random company just pops into my head after something triggers it, then I just take a quick look at their numbers and have a think/google about them... i.e. Hasbro as I was looking at getting Hero Quest... Royal Mail as I had to go to the post office to pick up a parcel, etc..

If I've never heard of the company, then I wonder how many other people would know about the company let alone consider buying shares in a company. I won't know what they do/their line of business.. therefore I won't invest in them.

If their numbers look ok, i.e. not at the market peak, P/E compared to other companies in the same selector, that they are not got a shed load of debts then I chuck in a small amount and start to dollar average into the company.

That will get me interested to actually follow the company and look into their details more closely as I have an vested interest.

Once I've had the shares for a while, I see how a feel about it, some I will start to invest more per month, some will just get a bulk investment, some I will stop investing after a period and hold to see what happens, some I will just sell off with either profit or lost.

It's not about if they shares went up or not, I had Tui at 25% increase, but it was like a rollercoster lol... so I ditched it.

Whats peoples thoughts on RR I'm >200% up albeit on a relatively small amount, when's the time to cash out or is holding on long term worthwhile, it's rising week in week out at the minute but surely it will top out (or worse)soon

Does anyone care to share their process of what they do/how they decide to buy shares in a company or not?

High return on capital with growth and good margins.

You need a high return on capital because many companies do borrow money at 8%, to then make 5%, meaning when they report that they their income is 1billion higher, this means they have lost 30million.

For example according to vanguard their S&P 500 has a return on equity 24.6%, meanwhile the FTSE100 has 10.4%.

The valuation is 10 vs 20 give or take, so the S&P is twice as expensive, but returns twice on capital lets say.

THe issue here is, over 25 years, if you return 10%, and i return 20%, this is not double, but 10 times the return, the valuation is only correct in very short periods of time.

Whats peoples thoughts on RR I'm >200% up albeit on a relatively small amount, when's the time to cash out or is holding on long term worthwhile, it's rising week in week out at the minute but surely it will top out (or worse)soon
I think I would be looking to see if there will be a good possibility of a lot of orders for the products they sell coming. That should indicate if there is more growth potential.

Last edited:
I think rr are doing good the small nuclear reactors I think are still and always will be a pipe dream but aviation is back up and running

Cfm and p&w both have issues atm with engines. Single aisle products are held by that but RR doesn't make a single aisle engine any more.

Ultrafan looks to be technologically successful. But they are looking to reenter the single aisle market but that it may take up to a decade to develop the new engine for the category. But thier billing by the hour model seems sensible outside of a pandemic can anyone see people not wanting to travel more in future?

I think rr are doing good the small nuclear reactors I think are still and always will be a pipe dream but aviation is back up and running

Cfm and p&w both have issues atm with engines. Single aisle products are held by that but RR doesn't make a single aisle engine any more.

Ultrafan looks to be technologically successful. But they are looking to reenter the single aisle market but that it may take up to a decade to develop the new engine for the category. But thier billing by the hour model seems sensible outside of a pandemic can anyone see people not wanting to travel more in future?
I think the only thing it’ll come down to is people affording it, as much as I’d like to say people’s perception of the environment, I don’t think people care.

i randomly picked 2 stocks, 1 is up 80% the other is down 70% in about a year... luckily we put more into the the one that went up
Even if your picks are *****..... Making sure you sell when markets are up, and buy when it's down, goes a long way.

Many, many people do the opposite and buy into hype trains too late, and panic sell when things are down. If you can manage your emotions we'll enough to avoid that, you'll do alright.

Even if your picks are *****..... Making sure you sell when markets are up, and buy when it's down, goes a long way.

Many, many people do the opposite and buy into hype trains too late, and panic sell when things are down. If you can manage your emotions we'll enough to avoid that, you'll do alright.

im stuck with the shares now, cannot sell when they are down as they might go back up, cannot sell when they are up as they might keep going up... ill probably die having sold none!

im stuck with the shares now, cannot sell when they are down as they might go back up, cannot sell when they are up as they might keep going up... ill probably die having sold none!
yub that's how most people act. It's near impossible to buy at the very bottom and sell at the very top.

I just sell when the shares are over 10% and they raise has slowed down. There's technical analysis that can be done like SMAs/EMAs x Volume to see how far ahead of the curve the value is and if they are likely to go up or down. Looking at candle sticks for patterns, support and resistance levels... you could be there 24/7 trying to predict if you could squeeze that little bit extra.

One thing I do is set the buy and sell limits so I know forsure how much I'm buying or getting for the shares, if you just put in a straight buy or sell, the spread can be big enough to lose a few days gains.

Bit of a shame to see SDRY on its last legs.

I've been a customer of SDRY since the earliest days of Cult Clothing in Cheltenham. I still own a fair amount of SDRY clothing and if they do close the doors, I'll stock up before the end.

I'd assume they'll be bought up. NXT seem keen to pick up dying brands - JOUL etc. Maybe more of a Mike Ashley fit to be bundled into a corner of Sports Direct shops.

I've been a customer of SDRY since the earliest days of Cult Clothing in Cheltenham. I still own a fair amount of SDRY clothing and if they do close the doors, I'll stock up before the end.

I'd assume they'll be bought up. NXT seem keen to pick up dying brands - JOUL etc. Maybe more of a Mike Ashley fit to be bundled into a corner of Sports Direct shops.

I really like super dry stuff.
Its one of the only brands that puts colour into its mens products. And I've always liked the quality.

Seems to be all about north face now for men.

Yeah, I started with SDRY in the 2000s before all the high street shops and they was still trying to get their stocks into boutique designer stores.
When off them, when the logo was plasted all over the place but I still have quite a lot of gear with minimal branding, in fact I should have some draw string pants coming today.

I think it's just the cycle of high street fashion, 20 years is a good innings... I had to explain to my neice a few weeks back how GAP was the store back in the 90s and I'm sure another company will come along to replace super dry... possible UNIQLO if they not already replaced them.

Been an amazing couple of weeks. I'm expecting great things next year with interest rates dropping. Barring the next disaster of course.
For me is been a good couple of months.
But I got in way too early in most of mine. They are only just starting to recover. Most are in the green now. Baring a couple of train wrecks.

There's still time to pick out a few rate repressed shares.

Still got my eye on vanquis. But also fancy a top up on duolingo.

So so many people I know talk about duolingo. It's not just a couple of mates down the road. And it's already done me well

Back
Top Bottom