Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Caporegime
Seems almost impossible to keep track of individual tickers updates unless they have a dedicated reddit sub that's active, and then a lot of movement is before/after the market anyway where you wouldn't get a chance to avoid any drop.
even if you are on one of the stock sites like T212 that mostly have outside hours for a lot of stocks, you aren't faster than the algorithms, sometimes stocks will drop 10-20% and you google the ticker/company and there's literally 0 news

I mainly just buy tickers I know I will hold for years and don't worry about it.

I started funnelling more into ETFs in recent months though, as I don't really like the valuations of most the companies that interest me.

most the stocks I have now are ones I've already been holding for 1-2years straight

Last edited:
Soldato
Fingers crossed.
Would be happy (financially) for a buy out or some give on the ridiculous 6 days a week charter.

Some think the desire to sell is to put pressure on the regulator to cut IDS some slack. On the charter.

Finding it quite difficult to find value shares at the moment. Feels like USA in particular is bubbling around a bit of stagnation.

So I've switched from 50:50 individual:funds to 25:75

It is actually a lot less "hassle".
For example I got caught out by bgeos drop as I just missed the news basically about Georgia.

I may well just move to 100pc funds.. As really, when you round out the good and the bad + time.. I don't think individual shares are worth my time.

(I'll still keep my aviva shares but reinvest into etfs with the divs)

My individual shares is a very small part of my portfolio.. possibly less than 5%, it’s my gambles, messing about, learning the ropes part and even then I’ve been selling up when things are in profit or broke even after long periods in the red and moving the cash to an isa to buy trackers. It stops me messing about with my pension, tracker and mutual funds.

I won’t even begin to claim that I can do fundamentals, else I would be rich and talking to people like Warren Buffett and not on a random IT forum talking about investments.

—-

Side note, Vodafone is worth looking at… they are selling parts of their business and using the funds to buy back shares. 500 million euros to start with, then if/when they sell their other parts another 1.5 billion (euros), followed by another 2 billion (euros). They also switching from an dividend share (at 7%) to a growth share (2%), god knows how when they are selling all their assets lol.

Full disclosure, I have share in them at 80 something, which are still in the red and plan to exit around 110..

I got my eyes on doc martins at the moment, and likely going to put the RM cash into them… they are near all time lows and have a weird business customer bases where they cater for both the extreme right nazis and the extreme left hippies… god imagine that board meeting if both parties were to purchase shares.

There’s also the raspberry pi IPO that keeps treating to happen, not too sure on it as it seems to be a crazy chatGPT-like org model.. one arm for charity/education and another for business. I’ve should have got in on ARM at 65 when I exited VW and Disney… but still think the shares are overvalued with risc-v being superior to ARM at the moment, but hey CPU AI “bubble”…

Soldato
I won’t even begin to claim that I can do fundamentals, else I would be rich and talking to people like Warren Buffett and not on a random IT forum talking about investments.

Its not that complicated.

Here is a company with a 75% gross margin, a 50% net margin, 30% return on invested capital and double digit revenue and EPS growth.

You mentioned Vodaphone with a 30% gross, 10% net, and 1-2% return on invested capital, with declines in EPS/Revenue over the last decade.

Vodaphone returns on capital are less than the cost of capital, nothing will change about this, the business is too high investment, too low margin, now cannibalizing's itself.

Can you guess the company i referenced?
Visa

Last edited:
Soldato
Its not that complicated.

Here is a company with a 75% gross margin, a 50% net margin, 30% return on invested capital and double digit revenue and EPS growth.

You mentioned Vodaphone with a 30% gross, 10% net, and 1-2% return on invested capital, with declines in EPS/Revenue over the last decade.

Vodaphone returns on capital are less than the cost of capital, nothing will change about this, the business is too high investment, too low margin, now cannibalizing's itself.

Can you guess the company i referenced?
Visa
Sorry.. I should have phased that correctly.. I cba to do any fundamentals lol

I’m sure that there will be websites that will give the fundamentals and technical analysis breakdowns for companies, if not I could probably whip one up in a few hours with the Google sheets stocks API..

I guess if I ever go into it seriously enough, I might start to do it… but the stock market does whatever it seems to want to do… those analytics is more like a self fulfilling prophecy.

Soldato
Sorry.. I should have phased that correctly.. I cba to do any fundamentals lol

I’m sure that there will be websites that will give the fundamentals and technical analysis breakdowns for companies, if not I could probably whip one up in a few hours with the Google sheets stocks API..

I guess if I ever go into it seriously enough, I might start to do it… but the stock market does whatever it seems to want to do… those analytics is more like a self fulfilling prophecy.

The time it took you to write that post is how long it would take.

There is no google sheets API for fundamentals go to tradingview and search a company, click financials then statements/statistics

Soldato
The time it took you to write that post is how long it would take.

There is no google sheets API for fundamentals go to tradingview and search a company, click financials then statements/statistics
you can link yahoo finance to google sheets the setup the sheets to show the fundamentals (after calculation)...

but thanks I bear that site in mind next time I purchase some shares.

Soldato
For example I got caught out by bgeos drop as I just missed the news basically about Georgia.

I may well just move to 100pc funds.. As really, when you round out the good and the bad + time.. I don't think individual shares are worth my time.

I bailed on BGEO around a week ago. Having been burnt by the war in Ukraine, instability is a huge red flag. Unless there's a huge reversal in the political flow, I'm unlikley to revisit BGEO.

All new money into my pension goes into funds now. I've got an amount for single shares to keep me occupied but slowly switching the funds into the bank bone of the portfolio.

Nvidia earnings this week. I'm tempted to put a stop loss on my holding. It's so overpriced, I think just a whiff of the AI wheels coming off and it'll drop quite hard.

Caporegime
I bailed on BGEO around a week ago. Having been burnt by the war in Ukraine, instability is a huge red flag. Unless there's a huge reversal in the political flow, I'm unlikley to revisit BGEO.

All new money into my pension goes into funds now. I've got an amount for single shares to keep me occupied but slowly switching the funds into the bank bone of the portfolio.

Nvidia earnings this week. I'm tempted to put a stop loss on my holding. It's so overpriced, I think just a whiff of the AI wheels coming off and it'll drop quite hard.

Yeah I got in quite early (2000-3000 somewhere) but could have sold out at 5000+ but didn't.

Its another lesson of "a fund is better" as there's just too much news to keep up with.

I switched to 50:50 a while ago. But I'm going to switch to 90:10 (funds:singles) as I just don't have the time/skill/aptitude for it.

I'll keep a few I have. AV, house builders and a couple of others. But when my stops or limits trigger on my others I'll just go to funds. I'm already noticing the benefits in the time I'm spending for basically zero benefit over etfs

I have also set a stop on nvda. I agree. If results keep up I expect further improvements. But any sniff of a fall short and nvda and many other big tech players could tank dramatically.

Last edited:
Soldato
so Im up a lot on Netflix now. Im thinking of selling. I did a really stupid move and basically went all in after they dropped last time.

Can’t decide if I should hold a little longer or just take the money and run.

Soldato
so Im up a lot on Netflix now. Im thinking of selling. I did a really stupid move and basically went all in after they dropped last time.

Can’t decide if I should hold a little longer or just take the money and run.
Don't ever feel like closing a trade on equities with a profit as anything other than a win. You're doing better than most people just to be in the green.

Soldato
I’m not psychologically cut out for individual shares. I can say this with confidence. I’ve been up 300% on a single share in the space of a week, and still hang out for more. It must be a short circuit in my brain chemistry where something I gain too easily will never be enough.

The ETF returns is now hugely up (it's just always up), I barely look at it, and it never fails to surprise me when I do look at it. With single shares I felt like I had a daily scorecard I needed to keep checking, in case there’s been some action on the stock, and I need to make a decision which way to go.
Funds are generally easier because its more balanced. Some stocks you would be right to hold, Apple gained 300% and more and many others. I sold Apple and shouldnt but have some in a fund. It takes too much time to be on top of everything even then a lot of moves are rumours that reverse.

Rolls continuing to do very well, about 390 I think is where I had as a pivotal point it might move around. I was buying at 300p when it sold back to there but it moved too fast for me to gain back all of what I had sold, not sure I will be confident to buy now but I can hold above 390

All of FT100 is too cheap in general I thought for a while. AAL getting a take over bid makes sense, it was always going to gain over time its just very mixed. No doubt they will split it up and sell off parts for profits. So I dont know about every company but FTSE rising or buying it to hold is fine imo.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sold up today. Took a very healthy profit. Dum ass move to put so much into one stock.

But.

I’m with HL for my Sipp. I only really trade US stocks and the FX charges are really high. I paid £1k for both buy and sell on this trade alone.

Is there a better provider for a self managed SIPP?

Soldato
Sold up today. Took a very healthy profit. Dum ass move to put so much into one stock.

But.

I’m with HL for my Sipp. I only really trade US stocks and the FX charges are really high. I paid £1k for both buy and sell on this trade alone.

From what I've seen HL are very old school and very expensive.

If you just want trackers then vanguard is my recommendation... the issue comes if you want individual company stocks, I tend to trade those in ISAs and normal trading accounts and not pensions.

Soldato

But.

Its only T212 that has a low FX fee of 0.15% AFAIK, additionally you cannot hold $ in an ISA and i assume that would be the case for a SIPP.

The fee is high but over a long time period when the stock goes up 500%, the 2% fee will be insignificant as its fixed (1% each way), and not an annual fee.

And IMO you should sell to raise cash to buy something else, so the question is what you will do with that money

Associate
Logged in for the first time in ages to check my portfolio. Pleasantly surprised. Sitting at all time high and peeking at the stock market this morning, everything still relentlessly marching up. I'm so unbelievably tempted to sell half and pay off my mortgage. Have a 15k jump in one day in value, doesn't actually change my life as much as not having a mortgage payment would, regardless of how small it may be.

Anyway, I see GME and AMC is stirring again. Congrats to the newly minted thousandnaires out there. At commiserations at the larger majority that's bagholding again.

FFIE seems to be the only one of those with any staying power - thought it would have tanked by now and not sure if it’s gonna manage the squeeze but kinda nice to see people trying to stick it to the man.

Back
Top Bottom